FAQ: Free Plan and Workspaces

Cheryl Walsh
Cheryl Walsh Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 107 Expensify Team
edited October 2023 in Getting Started

I am an admin, what features are included in the Free Plan?

What is a Workspace Editor?

A Workspace Editor is a space where you can configure your Workspace, pay bills, send invoices, book travel, and more!

I am on a paid plan, can I switch to a Free Plan?

You can set up a Free Plan, but you must honor any active subscription you have also. If you're on a paid plan, it is likely you want more functionality than what the Free Plan offers such as a direct connection with an accounting integration and approval workflows.

Can I get cashback on Expensify Card purchases if I have a free plan?

You can get 1% credited back to your settlement account once you spend over $25,000 per month across all cards and 2% when you spend over $250,000!

Can I switch currency on the Free Plan? It looks set to USD

Yes, you can change the currency of the Free Plan by going to Avatar > [Workspace Name] > General settings > Default currency.

We do require a US business bank account for reimbursements and Expensify Card settlements though, so if you have a business bank account linked to your account, then the currency of the Free Plan will be USD.

Is a free plan available to people outside the USA?

Yes! You can use the free plan anywhere in the world to track expenses, send invoices etc. Just remember, anything that requires a verified business bank account (such as ACH reimbursement and the Expensify Card) is only available to those with a US checking account!

Can I integrate the free plan with my accounting package?

No. In order to use our accounting sync, you will need to update to a paid plan

With the FREE plan, can I add categories and tags to expenses?

The categories are set as standard categories and cannot be changed on the Free Plan. You don't have the option of tags. Custom categories and the ability to import categories and other coding from your accounting software are available on paid plans. Reports can, however, be exported to specific formats!

With the FREE plan, can I export reports using a custom format?

The Free Plan offers standard report export formats. If you would like to create a custom export format, you'll need to upgrade to a paid plan.

Can I change the mileage rate or unit used for distance tracking?

Yes. The workspace admin can access the rate and unit settings by going to Avatar > [Workspace name] > Reimburse expenses > Track distance.

Can I add non-Expensify cardholders to my Workspace?

Yes. You can invite any user to your Workspace. Just click invite and enter their email and they will be invited to download the app and join!

How can I access my workspace?

You can access your Workspace by selecting it from the list on your Policies Page on www.expensify.com, or in new.expensify.com, or the New Expensify app.

Can my workspace have more than one Admin?

No. Currently, the Expensify Workplace only allows for just one admin (the Workspace creator).

Expenses are automatically shared with the admin on a Processing report on the Free Plan, can I change this?

No. Expense reports submitted on the Free Plan are set to submit automatically and do not allow for approvals. Different Scheduled Submit settings are available on our paid plans.

How do I give a user I invited to my Workspace an Expensify Card?

You can give a user an Expensify Card by going to the Company Cards Page on expensify.com and setting a card limit >$0. Please note that in order to give a user a card, they must be using a private company email address (i.e. name@companyname.com NOT name@gmail.com)

Can I use a different bank account to the one I have added for some of the features in the workspace?

No. The bank account you have added will be used to issue corporate cards, reimburse expenses, collect invoices, and pay bills!

Can I upgrade my Free Workspace to a Paid Workspace or do I need to create a new one?

There is no way to upgrade a workspace, so you would need to create a new Workspace. Paid workspaces have more functionalities than what the Free Plan offers, such as a direct connection with an accounting integration and approval workflows.

Can I create more than one Processing report at a time?

No. To keep things simple, we only allow one Processing report per user at a time. If you need to have more than one report at a time, our paid plans support unlimited reports.

A user has added an expense I need to change before I pay it, how do I let them know?

Users can edit and delete expenses on Processing reports. If you need something changed, let them know by commenting in the Report History section of the report on expensify.com or by chatting with them in new.expensify.com.

Can I ‘Reopen’ a report once it’s Reimbursed or Closed?

No. Once an admin reimburses or closes a report, it cannot be ‘reopened’, but you can always comment on a report to add context.

I accidentally reimbursed a report too soon. Can I cancel the reimbursement?

Depending on how quickly you report it to us, we may be able to help cancel a reimbursement. Chat Concierge to see if we can help cancel a reimbursement.

As an admin, can I edit users’ expenses and delete them from reports?

No. Only users can edit and delete expenses on the Free plan. Admin control of submitted expenses on a workspace is a feature of our paid plans. If you need something changed, let the user know by commenting in the Report History section of the report on www.expensify.com or by chatting with them in new.expensify.com.

Helpful Articles: