Are you receiving SNAP/EBT benefits? The Expensify.org/SNAP-VAX campaign is live and accepting new members. Learn more about receiving $50 for submitting a SNAP receipt and $50 for getting your COVID-19 vaccine here and join today!

Send expenses that violate the max days old parameters up through hierarchal management chain

MBarnes
MBarnes Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

We use the max days old setting in Expensify which means expenses older can not be submitted.

It would be good to have the option and ability to enable a feature which would rather than prevent the expense from being submitted, provide policy violation warning saying the expense will need approval from ELT and for the expense to not move to reimburse until the management chain up to ELT have approved and will reimburse if and when approved by the ELT.

3 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• Zany Renney
    Zany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 153 Expensify Team

Hi @MBarnes --

I hear you. It sounds like you benefit from increasing the threshold for maximum days to a higher number if you don't want to prohibit expenses older than 90 days from being submitted.

To Update: please follow the steps below.

1. Click on Settings > Policies, and click on the name of the company policy. (If you can't click on the company policy name, you may not be a policy admin which is required for policy setting access)
    2. Click on the Expenses tab and then locate the Maximum Expense Age field.
    3. Amend the number of days, to meet your criteria.

• MBarnes
    edited September 24

Thank you. How does changing the 90 days help, how does the approval flow then know to work through the management hierarchy up to ELT? How would Expensify know we need in this case expenses over 90 days to go to ELT?

Thanks,

• Zany Renney
    Zany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 153 Expensify Team

Ah sorry, @MBarnes -- my suggestion was related to if you need to allow all expenses older than 90 days, you should edit the maximum days, this wouldn't be able to be applied to certain expenses and not others.

I'm not super clear on your reference to ELT though? What is that and are you able to give me more detail as to what your desired pathway would be please?

• MBarnes
    edited September 27

Hi Zany,

ELT = Executive Leadership Team. We have some expense exceptions which require Executive Leadership Team approval regardless of the employees position in the business / hierarchy - for instance an employee has an expense which is over 90 days old and their line manager is not an ELT, maybe there are two or even three managers between the individual claiming the expense and their respective departments ELT, it would be great if there was the option in Expensify to enable the ability to drive the approval for any expenses over the stipulated max days through the chain of management up-to the department's ETL.

@Zany Renney you have my email address and very likely phone number if it's easier to discuss.

Best regards,

• LaurenR_Expensify
    LaurenR_Expensify Expensify Team Posts: 91 Expensify Team

Hi @MBarnes

Okay so it sounds like you're saying that, while the max days rule you have configured works for the majority of your team's expenses, there are some exceptions where there are legitimate reasons why an expense would be over the max days limit (eg the ELT example you provided). So your query is "how do we handle exceptions to the max expenses rule in Expensify?" - is that a fair summary?

• MBarnes

"how do we handle exception approvals to the max days old expenses rule in Expensify?"

• LaurenR_Expensify
    LaurenR_Expensify Expensify Team Posts: 91 Expensify Team

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here @MBarnes.

Within Expensify, Policy Admins can organise a set of rules that they want applied to groups of expenses (reports) - these are the "policies". All policies have a set of rules that will be applied to all expenses submitted under that policy. It's not possible to create exception rules.

If you do have expenses that are older than the max rule you have set in your current policy setting, you could create a new policy for employees to submit these expenses under, that doesn't have a max limit.

Let me know if that makes sense, or if you need any other help here.