Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status (updated April 3, 2020) 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Policy Level Expense Rules

rpolrpol Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

So far loving your product! It would be cool to be able to create Expense Rules at policy level, we have a lot of users which use the same rule to categorize expenses and merchants. When we start using expensify throughout the company, they will have to create the same rules again and again, some of them are not much tech savvy. In this way an IT guy could create the most common rules for the whole company!

51 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

We're interested to learn more about this idea. If you could set any rules (not limited to merchants) what would you do? One easy example is auto categorisation based on merchant; another option might be a tax rate based on category. Thanks and please show your support for this idea if you'd like to see it up for consideration.

Comments

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,155 Expensify Team

@rpol, thanks so much for the kind words and for joining our community! This request is definitely on our radar, so I'm hoping other customers will share their support for it and their use cases.

Thanks again!

• tylerzolltylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 436 Expensify Champion
    edited January 2018

I could come up with some pretty good rules myself for our employees. I generally give users a couple of rules to start off with to help them out. I also make sure that when I show them how to use Expensify I show them how the rules work.

Another good thing would be a flag if someon overrides a rule. I have some helpful managers that make corrections or should I say incorrections.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,155 Expensify Team

Ooh @tylerzoll, I like the idea of flags for overriding a rule as well. I'll make sure to keep this thread up to date with new information if it becomes available.

This might be a little bit far out, but If we could change a tag based off of a receipt location. For example, all of my employees that went to Nashville at the first of the month should deffinetly have their expenses alligned to a specific tag.

• DaveweezDaveweez Expensify Customer Posts: 183 Expensify Aficionado
    edited January 2018

Great ideas.

But i'm confused. Your CEO just said that no new features were coming in 2018:

Hi @Daveweez - nice catch here! Policy level expense rules isn't something on our roadmap at this time, but it's something we want to do research on while we have the opportunity.

I'm also not convinced this is a big change, more a shift of an existing feature to be applicable for more use cases.

@Sheena Trepanier & @Daveweez I've been promised improvements on rules for the last two years, so I'm pretty sure that this one should be grandfathered in.

• shift_kenshift_ken Expensify Customer Posts: 11 Expensify Newcomer

This functionality works if there is just a single T&E GL account for all departments; what about those with different cost centers? Thanks!

• jessebATmscjessebATmsc Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Also, unless your users are all on the same domain (only on 2 of our policies among currently 14 different policies is this the case), your approval flows are useless, because at any point someone earlier in the chain can Final Approve and wipe out the rest of your workflow. I'm not clear on the purpose of user-level approval flows if in fact you can only force them to abide by them on the domain level.

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback so far. Would anyone be able to share some examples of the types of expense rules you'd want to create if they were available at the policy level?

Thanks!

I have a few:

1. All receipts from Walmart go to the Meals & Lodging category. It seems simplistic, but that's the only expense that we generally have there.
    2. All receipts from a certain employe are automatically classified to a certain department / class / custom segment.
    3. All expenses from a certain group of employees (all on the same policy)are marked as billable to a certain customer and tagged to a specific customer.

Really I think that more flexibility in rules would fix the issue. Just the option to apply a rule to all expenses for an employee would be good.

• AWallworkAWallwork Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

Common use cases for us:

1. All expenses from a fuel vendor go to fuel.
    2. All expenses from MCC's for restaurants go to meals
    3. All expenses from cell phone company go to telecommunications.

I've done rules on a per account basis, but doing it globally would be a lot nicer!

• jbaxterjbaxter Approved! Accountant Posts: 55 Expensify Admirer

I would definitely like to see the ability to default the tax code at the Tag level.

• StephanieL789StephanieL789 Expensify Customer Posts: 43 Expensify Admirer
    edited April 2018

My thoughts would be default tags for an employee. With an option whether they could be overridden and/or a flag if they have been overridden (preferably both, set at employee level) . Some employees legitimately have multiple locations to ppst to, others not so much. I would ideally like to see it implemented much like suggested on another thread.
    https://community.expensify.com/discussion/469/default-tags-for-an-employee

• sVealsVeal Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Applying a new rule to "all" is not always a good idea. If your rules are similar looking sometimes the system will get confused and over correct.

• Kdrawdy_11Kdrawdy_11 Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer

Just adding support to having a feature to allow expense rules to be set at the Policy Level. Expenses from certain vendors are common across all employees - i.e. employees who fly out of Atlanta are likely to use Delta so no need to setup a separate rule that the Delta name is an airline expense, etc.

Another approach would be to allow users to import the Expense rules at the time the account is setup although I prefer having the rules apply to everyone that is assigned to the Policy.

I have another use case for this idea. I have lots of users with expense rules set up, but I needed to change some tags in our ERP. When I changed the tags, it broke the individual rules that folks had set up, so I had to go through and manually change all of the rules for all of the users. If there were policy wide rules, we could just make the update in one place.

• Michelle_D_3Michelle_D_3 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I'm a big supporter of allowing the admin to set expense rules on behalf of employees. It would be a huge time saver for us if I could set expense rules by individual corporate credit card. This is particularly helpful for those credit cards that have monthly recurring fees on them. It takes time to set up expense rules when you have a high volume of recurring charges, so I'd like to be able to do that on behalf of the credit card holder. There are cases where we have a manager who is assigned more than one corp. credit card. He/She may make purchases from the same merchant on both cards, but the charges are coded differently depending on which card is used, so an expense rule by merchant wouldn't work in this case unless the rule was explicit to a specific credit card.

Thanks!

• tedmanntedmann Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

+1 we would greatly appreciate having this feature. 95% of our users submit to the same expense class, but you have to select it every time. Would be great to just have that be a default.

• SAOSBRSAOSBR Approved! Accountant Posts: 32 Expensify Admirer

Agreed completely with @tedmann comment. Many people recently have been asking why can't you just default my coding for dimensions/tags to certain things so I don't have to fill it in every time.

• SimplecastSimplecast Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Please, please, please make it so I can set expense rules for all of my team members. I can't stand having to re-code everyone's merchant names so that they don't show up as "Credit Card Misc" in quickbooks!

• TraceyTracey Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Yes please, setting rules for everyone at the company policy level would be great!
    In particular it would be useful to have company wide rules to code the Merchant name so that it agrees to our accounting system names!

• MightyAdminMightyAdmin Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Desperate for this feature - cardholders accidentally create rules that tag to wrong categories, or create rules rename a vendor improperly, etc, etc As ADMIN I absolutely have to be able to override or at least have ability to access and edit individual auto rules.

• KyleHanslovanKyleHanslovan Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    edited December 2018

We've been extremely happy with our Expensify experience thus far but were surprised to see Policy Level Expense Rules were not a thing (considering the popularity of the product).

In our use case, we primary want to reduce "Credit Card Misc." entries from making it into our books as we perform a fair amount of merchant analysis based on our accounting system entries (and it's just cleaner). However, correctly mapping between Lodging and Trade Show: Lodging or Hosting - COGS and Third Party SaaS - COGS would be another major benefit. Both of these cost bookkeeper/comptroller time to correct.

Put simply, employees should not have to care that "Lyft Mon 1pm San Francisco" does not correctly map to the merchant "Lyft, Inc." or that "Amazon.com" and "Amazon Web Services" are tracked as separate merchants.

We recognize that there's an implementation hurdle of determining whether Policy Level Expense Rules should take precedence over the User Expense Rules. Our preference would be to match against the first applicable Policy Level Expense Rule and ignore any other matches. However, I'm sure some customers would want the opposite or even the freedom to choose precedence per rule (making the system significantly more complex).

With all of that said, Expense Rules at the Policy Level are a feature your customers would use. However, I imagine developer push-back on the complexity of the precedence of rules and delivering a good user experience for this feature will prevent it from ever seeing the light of day. 😔

"Sheena Trepanier" any updates on whether this ever hit the roadmap?

• adrienne_collinsadrienne_collins Expensify Customer Posts: 1

This feature should have been an option from the get go.

Hi everyone! I'm sorry to say that I don't have an update to share at this time. We don't have this on our roadmap at this time but it possible it will be added to it. Should things change, we'll need to conduct some research into the feature and how it could be implemented. I'll reach out to everyone here with some initial questions when it's appropriate. I hope to talk to you all soon!

• SAPeteSAPete Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

I'd love it if we could make custom default categorizations. For example, if there was an MCC that does not appear on the provided list in the MCC editor, it'd be great to be able to create a custom MCC to category mapping.

• Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 362 Expensify Team

Hi @SAPete - would you mind providing an example of an MCC Code we've neglected to add into the Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Categories > MCC Editor?

• SAPeteSAPete Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
    edited February 2019

Hi @Ted Peeters! We're going to be testing this functionality over the next couple weeks, and I will definitely let you know. Right now I do not have any examples, but it sounds like the list is quite comprehensive!

• DurantaeDurantae Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I'd like to echo that as a policy admin they should have the capability to create rules for those under certain policies. My users aren't necessarily as savvy about the terminology, and often times, may be not as motivated to do so. I think this would be a HUGE plus. If you could add this.

The motivation for me is that I'd be more likely to use the feature where I'm pushing expensify transactions into the financials. It would operate sort of like the "match" feature in most financial softwares.