Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Policy Level Expense Rules

2»

Comments

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 490 Expensify Team

Hi @RI_8806! Policy level expense rules is definitely something we are currently looking into. We can't automatically create vendors in QuickBooks because of the mess it would make with some merchant names like you outlined above.

There is an Idea post for this here where we are currently tracking demand for this feature. Feel free to add your use case there and vote for it. Let me know if you have any questions!

• ChrisPalaChrisPala Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I have some rules I'd like to set up to drive values in custom fields based on the tax code. Would be great to see this feature in place to make that possible.

• MarkSMarkS Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer
    edited May 2019

Use case for Policy Level Expense Rules:

Multiple Vendor names for the same hotel chain Marriott

• Marriott International
    • Courtyard by Marriott
    • Fairfield by Marriott
    • Springhill Suites by Marriott
    • Marriott Marquis

We just want all possible expenses, in a Domain Level credit card program that mention the name Marriott in the vendor name field, to be coded to the one single vendor account Marriott, and categorize as Travel - Lodging, set up for all company credit card expensify accounts and related transactions. Why have to co-pilot edit 30 expensify accounts to set up similar rules?

The above multiple vendor name issue is the same for chains of gas stations, coffee, Best Buy, hotels, restaurants, car rental, etc., often the transactions append a unique branch or location number to the vendor name. We just want to allocate all common vendor names to one vendor account, same categorization with simple cross policy rules.

Or give us the ability to save a rule set and copy the rule set into another account.

Come on this can't be that hard 😃

Please and thank you.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,391 Expensify Team
    edited May 2019

Hi @MarkS, thanks for sharing the example use case and need for this feature. I wanted to provide a little update to everyone here that we're looking at the technical limitations we need to to resolve to add this functionality to our roadmap. It's been on our radar for quite some time but we're moving towards a point where pursuing it fits the product's path forward.

I'll circle back here and update the status of this idea once I have more information to share. In the meantime please don't stop voting for this feature request and sharing your use cases, we appreciate the valuable insight your comments offer us.

• Raymond_Perrine3415Raymond_Perrine3415 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    edited June 2019

Add my vote to this request.

I have not read the comments other than to get an idea of what this request is about, but in order to import into our accounting system (not a mainstream program), the vendor name needs to match what is in the ERP. Thus, all team members need to use the same vendor name in order to import the transactions eliminating double entry.

Thus, for me it is to match the credit card merchant name to our vendor code in our ERP (ie SQ JAMKO FORCE NET = Jamko, MSFT...=Microsoft, Naples Exxon or Highttown Exxon or Anywhere Exxon = Exxon). Unlike Quickbooks and the others, our ERP REQUIRES a matching Vendor Code in order to import the data. Otherwise, it will bounce or stay in limbo. We don't care which Exxon they went to, just that it was an Exxon.

Lastly, another option may be to export the Rules from one user to Excel and upload them into any other employee so we don't have to continually update one rule across 50 employees. We would then be able to compare each user's Rule List against each other to see what is lacking from another's. Also, once we are moving forward, create a way for us to view "Recently Created" rules. Thus, if an employee creates a new rule we, as Admins, could grab it and upload it into the other users' accounts.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,391 Expensify Team

@Raymond_Perrine3415, thank you for voting for this feature (if you haven't clicked the vote arrow in the original post please do so) and sharing perfect information for what we need to know.

I'm following the internal discussion around this idea very closely so I can circle back with an update as soon as I know more.

Have a great weekend!

• random1random1 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I manage my expenses for four different organizations through Expensify, so I have a policy for each. But I use the same credit card for all of them, then divide up the expenses. I am not able to create rules that automatically categorize expenses because I cannot choose the policy for a specific expense. It would be nice to have a rule that let me choose the policy and then the category.

• Sophie Pinto-RaetzSophie Pinto-Raetz Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 69 Expensify Team

Hi @random1 , thanks for stopping by and adding your thoughts! Just wanting to double-check that you've voted for the idea on the original post, here?

• MarieeeeeMarieeeee Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Hi - As an administrator, I would to see a 'login as' feature. This allows you to login and get the same look and feel as the user. (Sometimes as an administrator you don't realize the user experience is a little different.)

I would like to be able to add some rules for individuals as they encounter new scenarios, but I don't necessarily want to be co-pilot on every single user because then they will think I can do everything for them.

One of the universal rules I would like to apply is have everyone's department tag default to the department they are under.

We use MCC codes for some auto-categorization, but I'd like to add individual rules to some of our frequently traveling employees who don't have time to set things up properly.

I agree a flag should be set up so the expense approver can review when things have been updated from the default setting.

Thank you,

Marie

• kstullkstull Expensify Customer Posts: 3

Our company would LOVE the idea of company wide rules. We have many projects that require to be billable or not or have travel that is booked on corporate cards but push to Expensify and it creates a ton of manual checking to ensure staff used the correct settings when forcing a rule based on where it came from or the synced Quickbooks project would be of HUGE assistance. This would be a game changing feature

• Mark LouisMark Louis Expensify Team Posts: 96 Expensify Team

Hi @kstull! Thanks for adding your use case to this! If you haven't already, please be sure to vote for the original idea here.

Our company would LOVE the idea of company wide rules. We have many projects that require to be billable or not or have travel that is booked on corporate cards but push to Expensify and it creates a ton of manual checking to ensure staff used the correct settings when forcing a rule based on where it came from or the synced Quickbooks project would be of HUGE assistance. This would be a game changing feature

Thanks for the insight @kstull! If you haven't already, be sure to vote for this feature request using the yellow vote box located at the top of page 1 of this thread.

Cheers!

Sheena I do not have that option.

• Jeremy BonifaceJeremy Boniface Expensify Team Posts: 84 Expensify Team

@kstull You should see it if you click back to page 1:

Then scroll up:

• Marcia_LMarcia_L Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

It would be incredibly helpful to be able to run naming rules as an admin on reports that I am approving, at least for the merchant name field. I am now manually changing merchant names constantly. It is the most time consuming part of my process.

Thanks, Marcia

• StephanieTStephanieT Approved! Accountant Posts: 2

Expensify, please add this functionality. This would absolutely help our team! As bookkeepers/admins, relying on users to set the rules on their own or having to go into Copilot mode to each user account makes our process very inefficient and error prone.

• Marcia_LMarcia_L Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

The merchant name issue is the biggest problem I run into with Expensify and it is very time consuming. As an admin, in addition to the ability to set merchant names to a standard name that match the vendor name in QBO, I would set the report class based on employee name. Most of our employees are associated with only one department and their spending is also limited to that department. It would be helpful to be able to set the department (or class) on a per employee basis.

Thanks and please implement!!! If you need someone to beta test, let me know!!!

-Marcia Lassila

Supporting Strategies

• Nicole MendoncaNicole Mendonca Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 47 Expensify Team

@Marcia_L, thank you so much for spelling out those use cases! Super helpful!

• rgondorgondo Expensify Customer Posts: 28 Expensify Admirer

+1.

There needs to be a way to push expense rules out to an entire policy.

Use case: I have our truck drivers on their own separate policy. They use dedicated Fuel Cards but regular credit cards for all other expenses like hotels and meals. I need to mark all "Fuel" category expenses as Non-Reimbursable since they come through the gas card. The gas card is not linked to Expensify because it does not have an integration with Expensify.

Also, I would like to be able to turn on/off expense categories for different departments. I do not want each department on its own separate policy, that is too confusing. But I don't want office staff using the "Business Development" category for meals when only the Sales team should be using it, for example.

• bmyersbmyers Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

As a policy admin for multiple policies and entities, I have gone to an extraordinary amount of effort to clean up my vendor files and names in the respective QuickBooks files. It would be extraordinarily useful to set up rules to set standard vendor names, categories and classes for the individuals so that all the end users need to do is ensure the proper receipt is attached and they add a description.

I have spent a lot of time training users to use and set up rules, however there is a lot of hit or miss in compliance on that front, as end users generally don't really care about the expense reporting process. This would make Expensify more 'sticky' in keeping my company with Expensify.