Receipt number from PDF report to .csv report

Options
benjamindjian
benjamindjian Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Hello,

Could anyone explain to me what is the logic behind the receipt number in the final PDF report ? And how can i export this precise number in my csv export ?

Thanks ,

Benjamin

Answers

• Cortney Ofstad
    Cortney Ofstad Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 173 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @benjamindjian! Thanks for reaching out! The receipt number allows for you to determine which receipt is for which expense, based on the notation.

Unfortunately, this cannot be transferred to the CSV, as we do not show receipt images in the export, so the notation is not accessible.

If you have any other questions or need anything else, please let me know!

• benjamindjian
    Options

Hi Cortney,

Thank you so much for your answer.

This system is a bit frustrating I must say, as I often have to manually assign the number of each expense from the PDF report into my csv table. This can be very time consuming with over 50 expenses in my report. By any chance, do you know the logic behind the numbers assigned to each expense in the PDF so I can sort the expenses in my csv file the same way and just increment the numbering? 

Best,

Benjamin

• benjamindjian
    Options

hi @Cortney Ofstad I was not refering to the number assigned in the notation ("Notes") but instead the receipt number. Apparently these can be two different numbers for a given expense.

• Sonia Liapounova
    Sonia Liapounova Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 210 Expensify Team
    Options

@benjamindjian The number on the receipt (the little gray number on each receipt icon in the PDF export) corresponds to the order in which the expense was added to the report. Unfortunately, as Cortney said, we don't have a formula to export this number.

Since I don't know your use case I don't know if this will be helpful, but, maybe exporting the receipt URL to the CSV would work for you? The formula for this is {expense:receipt:url} 

• benjamindjian
    Options

@Sonia Liapounova thank you very much for your message. Yet unfortunately, this does not solve my problem.

Here is my use case:

I have to submit both the PDF report and the .csv file of all my expenses every month to my employer.

For my employer to check my expenses, they asked me to assign each expense in the csv table to a receipt in the PDF report. Since each receipt already has a receipt number in the PDF file (the little gray number on each receipt icon), I "simply" have to write this number to the corresponding expense in my csv table. This would indeed be simple if the numbering had some sort of logic (chronological, alphabetical, by sum of expense...) so I could sort my expenses in excel accordingly and increment the numbering. Unfortunately, I do not understand the logic behind this numbering. The numbering seems to be random and because of this it takes me at least an hour each month to find which receipt corresponds to which expense. Yet I am sure that this task could take 1 second if only i knew how to automate it.

You did mention:

"The number on the receipt (the little gray number on each receipt icon in the PDF export) corresponds to the order in which the expense was added to the report."

yet i'm afraid it's not the case :( To test this, I created a new report and transfered all expenses from one of my report to the other in chronological order. Unfortunately, the numbering was the same in both reports.

"Since I don't know your use case I don't know if this will be helpful, but, maybe exporting the receipt URL to the CSV would work for you? The formula for this is {expense:receipt:url}"

I wish this was an option, but unfortunately my employer does not want to have to download each receipt. They only want to have the receipt number from the PDF report.

Best regards,

Benjamin

• Matt_Daddy
    Matt_Daddy Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Benjamin, I have flagged this also as it's preposterous.

The receipt images should be numbered the same as the line items, simple as.

I feel your pain......