I'm having trouble exporting a vendor bill from Expensify to Quickbooks

Options
dgbellagio
dgbellagio Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Integrations and API

I can export as a check, but cannot export as a vendor bill I keep getting this response...

"Wait! Not so fast...
Oops, you've selected an export option that is not available given your current QuickBooks configuration.

Please select another export option until you have added this account type in QuickBooks."

Best Answer

• pezza
    pezza Expensify Customer Posts: 15 Expensify Newcomer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Just to come back on this. The auto export at the end of the month did fail, but I found the descriptive error message extremely helpful (not usual for error messages! :) )

It was simply because the Vendor (or UK equivalent "Supplier") could not be found/created because the email address was set up as an employee. The issue I had was that although I had set up a Supplier for my expenses (as a second record), I didn't have the email address in it.

Once I added in my email address and re-sync'ed, the export went through successfully and I now see the expenses listed in Quickbooks.

Thank you all again for your help with this. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn, and no doubt this forum will be my friend for the foreseeable future, but it is good to know the support is there when you need it!

Thanks

Andrew

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @dgbellagio, happy to help with this! It looks like you also need to set the account for the Vendor Bill before you can save those settings. (below)

Can you try to set the account in the dropdown I've highlighted above, and then try to save your settings once more?

Thanks!

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

Hello @dgbellagio, one more thing I wanted to clarify.

The account in the drop down will need to be an A/P account. If you do not see an account in the dropdown, please create an A/P account in QuickBooks Online, and sync the connection before trying to assign the account again.

• dgbellagio
    Options

Hi Sheena,
    My checking account is already set up. If II export as a check it automatically deducts the expenses from my checking account. I want to export as a vendor bill, but as soon as I switch, my account disappears from the drop down and I can no longer click on it.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Options

Hello @dgbellagio, can you confirm if you've set up an A/P account in QB? I am not seeing an A/P account available when looking at your configuration.

Thanks!

• dgbellagio
    Options

Hi Sheena,
    This is what it looks like when I go to pay a bill on QB. That means that my a/p account is set up right?

• pezza
    Options

Hi, forgive my ignorance, but what is an "A/P" account? I am also not seeing anything in the drop down, although I have set up a Vendor account for the employee. I also cannot see any images on this screen (I am assuming that there are, given the references in the comments)

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Options

Hey @pezza A/P refers to 'Accounts Payable'. There are definitely images on this page - are you using a full web browser on a PC or reading this from a phone?

• pezza
    Options

Hi @RachCHopkins , yeah I am using Chrome mainly on my laptop with everything set to allow for this site (just in case there is some plugin being blocked. I am pretty sure I have also tried from my PC too, but I can check, along with various browsers to see if there is a difference. Thanks for the information, I will try to set up an Accounts Payable and see if I can get the synch to work, as currently I can only get it to work with Cheque.

Thank you

• pezza
    Options

Still a bit confused with this as I can't see anywhere in Quickbooks Online where I can create an "Account Payable". I have Suppliers and Customers, for which I have created a Supplier as myself for this purpose, but it doesn't seem to recognise this in Expensify. Searching Accounts payable in quickbooks just seems to refer to an account, as in a Bank Account. Is it this account that needs to be created (or more specifically, associated with QB)? I didn't really want to pull in a personal account as I would think that this would mess up all the books.

Cheque works at the moment, so I can continue as I am, but it would be nice if I could sync this in the way that it should be.

Thanks

Andrew

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @pezza, you will have certain GL accounts which are designated for the purpose of Accounts Payable. Think GL account, rather than bank account.

When your creditors issue an invoice, and it's input into your AP system, but not yet paid, this is the account that the invoice sits against. Part of your Current Liabilities on your balance sheet.

Are you the in-house accountant? Or do you have one who set up your Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online?

• Rachael Hopkins
    Options

Hi @pezza I have just had it pointed out to me that depending where you are on the planet, an A/P account may also be called a Creditor account. I hope that helps!

• pezza
    Options

Thank you for the assistance on this @RachCHopkins

At the moment, my Chart of Accounts in QB Online are pretty much as they come out of the box. I am not the accountant, but I do have one, so that may be a good point, in that I could ask him to advise. The issue is, they have their own portal, which doesn't seem as good as QB from first reviews, so he has stated that he is limited to the support he can give me with QB, but has been willing to help me with the "general" accounting stuff, so worth a try.

I don't see Creditors, the only thing I can see that is close to this would be Suppliers, which is what I have set up.

This is what I see as things I can create...

I can see that I can create entries in the Chart of Accounts, but I am wondering how that would work, since the drop down box is currently empty in Expensify, and I would have expected to see something if this was the source since there are many existing Chart of Accounts.

I am in the United Kingdom, so maybe this just isn't a feature available with the UK Online (assuming that the versions are different based on geographical location)

I will keep having a play and see if I can get something to show up in the drop down.

Thank you

• Rachael Hopkins
    Options

@pezza, as far as I'm aware you should also have the ability to create an 'account' in your GL. What version of QuickBooks Online are you using?

• pezza
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi, I am not sure what the version number is but it is Quickbooks Online Pro. The only reference to General Ledger in here is a report of the "Chart of Accounts" complete with transactions. I can't add anything in here as it is just a report.

I can add new Chart of Account, but what puzzles me is that if this Chart of Accounts was in fact the source of this list, then surely it should show the tens of accounts that are already there already? The list (drop down) is blank so I can't select anything (although the text below this option seems to suggest that if one doesn't exist, Expensify will create one :s )

Now, I can select the "Journal" option in Expensify and I do see a list of Journal Entries, but the aim of what I am doing is to simply transfer my expenses from Expensify in to a bill/invoice in QB so that I can record as 1 group of expenses itemised so that each "expense" is correctly categorised. Maybe Journal entry is the way to go.

Until I can get the Vendor (which I am assuming translates to Supplier in QB Online (UK) ) bit working, I will probably just keep it as cheque. It just isn't technically correct as I am not writing a cheque.

Thanks

Andrew

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @pezza We pull in Creditor account types for this field because exporting as a bill requires this type of account only. Can you view your chart of accounts list within QuickBooks and make sure you have this type of account?

• pezza
    Options

Hi Nicole, this does now seem to make logical sense on why the drop down isn't showing anything, since I didn't have any accounts of type Creditor.

I have created a new account with that type, however the drop down box is still not showing any entries. I am going to try again though on my PC when I get home this evening as I am wondering if it could be the issue that I had previously with the images on this site (which I cannot see from laptops for some strange reason).

It doesn't seem right though as some of the drop downs (such as non-reimbursable and also the Journal entry drop down) do populate, so I would have thought that all of these used the same object type/plugin?

Anyway, I will double check again later on and confirm back if I now see this new account.

Thank you

• pezza
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm that after doing a few more syncs, my new expense is now showing, so I can only assume that although I did re-sync, it must have taken a short while to actually pull in the new account and update.

The laptop/browser was a red herring in this case, as both Chrome and Edge now showing it on the same laptop, which is always nice to rule out :-) Although I still can't see images in the posts from either on this laptop, but I can from my PC.

Thank you @Nicole Trepanier and @RachCHopkins for your help with this, much appreciated.

Just to show the entry (I wont be able to see this, but hopefully you can)...

Andrew

• Sheena Trepanier
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @pezza, that is great to hear! I just wanted to confirm with you that you're able to successfully export as well. If you aren't, or your running into other issues, please let us know!

• pezza
    Options

Thanks @Sheena Trepanier . I will test this out later when I put my report through. I have noticed though at the moment that there seems to be a sync issue between the mobile and web apps. A different issue but wondered if you was aware of anything at the moment? Some of my expenses are either stuck as "scanning" or show the little recycle/sync icon and don't seem to be going through. I will start a new thread for this though if it is not something general