Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Gmail Forwarding

EuphoriaEuphoria Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

ME: I'd like to have my emailed receipts automatically forwarded to [email protected] but gmail requires verification. How do I go about making this happen? A confirmation code has been sent to [email protected] to verify permission.
SUPPORT: I'm sorry! Unfortunately, I am unable to support auto-forwarding of email receipts without a service such as IFTTT or Zapier doing this for you. You will need to set up a system with one of those providers in order to automatically forward receipts.
ME: I don't believe we are we are taking about the same thing. Gmail allows me to add the email address [email protected] as a forwarding address for my receipts, which i have done. Once added gmail sends a confirmation code to [email protected] Please send me this confirmation code so I may verify the email address. Please and thank you.
Support: I'm sorry! Unfortunately this isn't possible at the moment. I'll definitely share this feedback with the rest of the team.
ME:Really? But it seems so simple
**SUPPORT: ** I'm sorry this isn't possible at this time! We'd love your opinion on why this is important for you though - In our customer community you’ll find a category named “Ideas" to share your feature request. After you do, staff and other Expensify users will be able to view and vote on the idea and we can gauge the demand for it.

Why is this so hard? I'm surprised Expensify hasn't made this happen yet. I just want all the receipts that go into my gmail account to be forwarded to Expensify.

58 votes

Unable to support · Last Updated

We've closed this idea out with our response here: https://community.expensify.com/discussion/comment/10468/#Comment_10468 Thank you to all who contributed so far!

Comments

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 692 Expensify Team

Hi @Euphoria Welcome to the Expensify Community! - Don't forget to vote for your own Idea!

• brianrbrianr Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I'd really like this as well and I'm surprised it's not supported.

The IFTTT workaround is not viable for me. I don't want to grant access to my email to a third party just to automatically forward receipts.

• adam_badam_b Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Yes yes yes, a BIG hole in Expensify automation ...

• joshuasherlockjoshuasherlock Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

a right pain in the backside, I dont want to have to glue this together with 3rd party products, a simple auto-forward filter is all that should be required.

• betrybetry Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

YES PLEASE get this automated, I just spent AGES doing this manually, what a pain and it's already dead-easy to create folders on gmail, one has to check files on expensify anyway- just had some errors in amounts and dates, so a simple link-up would be great!!!

• Daniel_BeckerDaniel_Becker Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Yes big +1 on this.

Suggestions that require a third party to access by inbox are totally inappropriate; IFFT is great but it's not without risk that users need to be aware of.

My current workflow is; I remember to manually forward 70% of emails then spend 10 times longer tracing down the missing ones.

A possible implementation to deal with the verification email would just be to automatically return the verification email from gmail back to the email it belongs too; you'd skip over the UI work then... With some checks need to make sure the email is actually from google I think it would be fine security-wise.

• jkWPjkWP Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
  • jamesmjamesm Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Looking forward to seeing this missing piece of functionality from Expensify... ETA??!?

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,393 Expensify Team

Hi @jamesm, thanks for posting. There is no ETA for this functionality as it is not currently on our roadmap. More votes supporting this Idea thread will help get a discussion going though so be sure to share it with your peers who are also in support of it.

Cheers!

• JScatenaJScatena Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

PLEASE help us doing this streamlined without the use of third party applications!!

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,393 Expensify Team

If you haven't already voted for this feature request, please do so above using the up arrow in the vote box. Votes are very important for proving the customer support and need for a feature.

If you comment on this thread, please share your use case or more information about why this feature will help you and how. It's also great to know the impact not having this feature has on your workflow.

Thanks, everyone!

• diegocaldiegocal Expensify Customer Posts: 14 Expensify Newcomer

Hey guys,
    For me no problem to use third party apps like zapier.
    The thing is... I have tried it but it is neither possible.
    Basiclly the zap allows me to find the email but create an expense with always the same price, merchant and date.

I want the zap to find the email based on the Label and then forward it to [email protected]
    is that too complicated?

Any options, tutorials?

• mgbridgesmgbridges Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I'm really keen for this feature. I'll try and set something up via IFTTT, but it would be better to have it native.

• betrybetry Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

Still no movement on this? Upvoted this ages ago, it's still annoying and zap didn't fix it either.

• mdgmdg Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Hi @RachCHopkins & @Sheena Trepanier -- it looks to me like this is currently the #2 ranked request in the forum. I'm sure forum ideas are just one small element in the product roadmap, but can you shed some light on what it would take to get this kind of feature included?

My use case: I get a number of standardized email receipts, e.g. for a monthly rental payment, that I want to automatically forward to expensify, so I'm not doing the manual gruntwork every time. Having a dedicated [email protected] email address per user account would solve this -- like Evernote allows, for example. Alternately, gmail would let me automatically forward them to expensify if expensify would auto-return the validation code needed to approve [email protected] as an autoforward recipient.

Many thanks for your input on this.

@mdg, votes in the Community are one piece of a much larger puzzle that helps us determine the features we add to our roadmap. Votes in the Community help to show that customers want and would benefit from the feature being added, but it doesn't reflect the amount of work it would take to update the system, the room on our roadmap for a new feature, or whether the feature is a priority when viewing the big picture of how we want to develop Expensify.

Votes are incredibly important to prove an argument for support from the customer side, and I follow the ideas closely so I can champion ones that are popular and likely to benefit large amounts of customers.

A large number of votes does not guarantee a feature will be added, and there isn't a magic number of votes that would automatically qualify a feature for implementation. In the grand scheme of things 30, 80, or even 100 votes is a small amount of customers and so we must thoroughly research every feature request to see if it will benefit the voters or the Expensify user base as a whole.

For the sake of transparency, I can tell you all that this feature is on our radar but right now our plates are full with ongoing improvements and projects. This means that the feature isn't slated for release in the near or mid-term, but as soon as I have more information to share about a possible future for this feature I'll be right back on this thread sharing the good news.

• BrentBrent Expensify Customer Posts: 1

This is really disappointing. This one is the last straw for me - I'm looking for another expense service.

• bronsonbronson Expensify Customer Posts: 1

The workarounds are intricate and Expensify's competitors already support it. I'm amazed gmail forwarding still doesn't exist.

Expensify, it's past time!

• slringslring Expensify Customer Posts: 1
  • WordnaWordna Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer
  • Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 235 Expensify Team
    edited June 2019

Okay, folks! We have an update for this idea now. First and foremost, we’ve been bowled over by the support for this idea; it’s been amazing to see you all get involved and voice your support for it, especially since, as @Wordna stated, IFTTT deprecated their support for Gmail forwarding as well.

What we’ve settled on after much discussion is not a solution that supports the native Gmail forwarding in the future. As I’m sure many of you are aware; it’s not the only way to auto-forward email and during our research and discussions with engineering teams, it became apparent that some users were already forwarding email to Expensify - and lots of it. An inordinate amount, in fact, too much to possibly be solely expenses for an individual. Unraveling that and saving our email servers from having to deal with it was quite a task and not one we’d like to have to undertake again.

With this in mind, we won’t be supporting native Gmail forwarding itself going forward. During our research though, we did come across another idea from @bbk here. This idea, we believe might allow for more control over expenses being imported - as, instead they’d be pulled in by Expensify on a schedule and at a rate that could be controlled by us. It would also allow for customization of these email forwards in Expensify as opposed to within Gmail’s filters, or by using any of those complicated unique email addresses Google creates.

Now, the new idea, unlike this one, only has 1 upvote at the time of writing, as opposed to the 56 here! We’d like to see that gain the same traction, if not more, to bring this back to our table as a new, more feasible product improvement when the right time arises. One thing we’ve reiterated in this thread is how our Community Ideas form one of many aspects that go into the decision making progress, so please don’t be disheartened!

For now, it’s worth noting all of the ways you can still SmartScan receipts into your account, and also auto-populate these from Receipt Integrations. In addition, whilst IFTTT may no longer work with Gmail, we’re aware that Zapier and Flow should and we’d love your support in testing those out and sharing the results in the Expensify Community.

This discussion has been closed.