Error message when trying to sync with Quickbooks desktop "Could not retreive data from Quickbooks"

Mark_Ferchland
Mark_Ferchland Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

We have not been able to sync with Quickbooks for the past 4 days. I tried to reset Quickbooks but no luck getting the sync to work. The latest message has been "Could not retrieve data from Quickbooks"

Answers

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @Mark_Ferchland Welcome to the Expensify Community!

I see this is underway with our support team, and it's quite complex, so I'll update this public thread once we have a resolution! :)

• dlt
    dlt Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

any update? I am having the same issue for a month. i have reset the connect with sync manager and QB. still getting same error message. I think it is an issue with the customers. When the customer tags were not enabled I did not get an error. Then when I enabled the customer tag in expensify to sync them I get the error and the customer/jobs do not sync from QB. This is hindering our operations. Please help.

• Omartinez
    Omartinez Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I'm having the same issue? Any clue or insight as to how to fix the syncing? This is the error message I get.

• Sophie_Pinto
    Sophie_Pinto Expensify Customer, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 133 Expensify Team

Hi @dlt I apologise for missing this - were you able to get your issue resolved?

@Omartinez can you try the following and if it doesn't work, you'll need to write into concierge@expensify.com, as they have access to more troubleshooting tools, there!

To reset the permissions for your QuickBooks Desktop connection, first, sign into QuickBooks as an Admin in single-user mode and go to Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications > Company Preferences. From there, remove any instance of "Expensify Sync Manager" that you see listed. Save this change and click "Ok" to close the dialog box. Next, try to sync your policy again in Expensify. You'll be prompted to re-authorize the connection in QuickBooks.

• Click "Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running."
    • Select the Admin user from the dropdown then click "Continue." Selecting "Admin" does not mean you will always need to be logged in as an admin to use the connection. This is just required to create the connection.
    • Click "Done" on the pop-up and navigate back to Expensify where your policy should finish syncing.

Let me know how this goes!

• dlt

No we have not resolved this issue yet. I was told that it had something to do with expensify timing out when trying to load out customer list. It started a whole year ago (aug 2018). I tried many times what you suggest in this post. Linking was not the problem. The customer list was the problem. I was told expensify can't do it and to just create a manual sync. So for a year we have been doing manual sync unfortunately. I have asked monthly if the expensify QB sync has been improved/fix and was told it is in the works. Do you have any update on that? If it has been fixed I could try to setup the sync again. The only problem is that if it does not work I have to start all over again with tags, customers, settings, etc. So it is a long process. Thanks for your help.

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team

@dlt Because each QuickBooks Desktop error is unique and requires our team to check the logs from the Expensify Sync Manager, I recommend reaching out to concierge@expensify.com. There is likely going to be information we don't recommend sharing on a public forum.

The same error message can be the result of multiple different errors in the logs. If the main troubleshooting steps aren't clearing the error then Concierge is your best option for troubleshooting.

• dlt
  • Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team

@dlt You're very welcome. Let me know if you are able to get it resolved!

• Context_C0ntroller
    Context_C0ntroller Expensify Customer Posts: 4

dlt where you able to get a resolution for this? We are a relatively new user of Expensify and after 4 months I was unable to update my expensify account from QuickBooks Enterprise 19.0. After a month of waiting for a repair the final answer I received was my customer and item lists were too large.