Goodbye statement reporting, hello realtime reconciliation!

Comments

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @BrianFiler - you can do this very quickly now using the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard - you could check a whole year in one go, but also quickly change the date range to check on a certain quarter/month etc.

Have you done much experimenting with the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard in this scenario?

• BrianFiler
    BrianFiler Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

The reconciliation dashboard is an excellent addition to the Expensify product, there's no question about that. However, I feel very strongly that it must be used in conjunction with statement reporting to eliminate the possibility of reports just growing endlessly with multitudes of expenses from different statement dates.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Thank you for the feedback @BrianFiler, I've passed it along and as mentioned previously we're tracking all feedback we receive here. This feedback is the main reason we've left such a long time before the functionality is scheduled to be removed.

Cheers, and thanks again!

• Julia
    Julia Expensify Customer Posts: 164 Expensify Pro

Is the reconcilation report in the loading dock going away?

• Brian_ISC2
    Brian_ISC2 Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

As @BrianFiler stated" The reconciliation dashboard is an excellent addition to the Expensify product, there's no question about that. However, I feel very strongly that it must be used in conjunction with statement reporting...".

We will not be using the Schedule submit when ASR goes away. I read that that Expensify recommends weekly expense reporting. We only want reports once a month due to the time involved with our multiple approval levels and coding requirements. We do not want to create a continuous stream of expense reports coming into AP and creating more transactions in our accounting system.

My question is:
    1) Will new reports need to be created manually by the users after the prior one is submitted? ASR automatically creates a new one now
    2) Currently any new PCARD transactions create a new report. Will these transactions sit in unreported till they are assigned a new report by the end user?
    3) ASR creates a different report title than a manually created report. Will functionally exist to still have multiple report title configurations?

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hello @Brian_ISC2, thanks for posting. While we do recommend weekly, it is by no means a requirement to use weekly Scheduled Submit. If you use a monthly frequency and had reports submit on a specific day every month, would that work for you?

Now your questions:
    1) Will new reports need to be created manually by the users after the prior one is submitted? ASR automatically creates a new one now

• If you use Scheduled Submit a new report will be created after the last one is submitted. If you don't, employees will need to create a new report after submitting their last one.

2) Currently, any new PCARD transactions create a new report. Will these transactions sit in unreported till they are assigned a new report by the end user?

• You're correct, expenses will not be added to a report on behalf of the user unless Scheduled Submit is used. They will be listed as Unreported and can be added to a new report in bulk from the Expenses page.

3) ASR creates a different report title than a manually created report. Will functionally exist to still have multiple report title configurations?

• A policy will support a single default report title, so there will be no way to add a different report title configuration unless you had another policy to set it in. In other words, 1 policy = 1 default report title configuration.

I hope this info helps and please let us know if you have followup questions!

• Brian_ISC2

@Sheena Trepanier Thank you for the answers. If your management team is tracking all feedback you receive here then please note that ISC2 is not in favor of removing the ASR feature.

• Sheena Trepanier

Done @Brian_ISC2, I appreciate you taking the time to join this discussion and have made sure to add your feedback and email to the tracking we're doing. Have a lovely weekend!

• jonesct
    jonesct Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

What is the current timeline for Statement Reporting going away? What will happen when it is not longer available if we are currently using it. How do I manage the number of expense reports an employee submits monthly?

• Sheena Trepanier

Hi @jonesct, welcome to the Community and thanks for joining the discussion. The timeline continues to be the end of 2018. We have a few resources that should help you with moving off of statement reporting that customers have found very helpful. I encourage you to have a look at Company Cards: Best Practice guide and attend our live Company Card Administration webinar.

If you run into any questions you can let me know on the Community or you can send us an email at help@expensify.com. Cheers!

• koji
    koji Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi there, we're using the reconciliation dashboard - does this new feature mean that we will no longer be able to use this?

• Daveweez
    Daveweez Expensify Customer Posts: 146 Expensify Aficionado
  • Brian_ISC2

Please be more specific on the ending timeline. Our Credit card cycle starts on December 23rd. When do I need to turn on the Schedule / Submit to ensure that I won't have any disruption in service to our end users.

• Sheena Trepanier
    edited October 2018

Hi @koji, no worries here! Since you're using the Reconciliation Dashboard, you're using the new process. This means the removal of ASR will not affect your workflow if you've already transitioned to using the dashboard.

@Daveweez and @Brian_ISC2, I'm working on more information for the transition and I hope to have more to share here very soon.

• akochanski
    akochanski Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Another one-up on KEEPING the statement reporting function. The statement reporting feature is probably my favorite feature in Expensify. I use the dashboard reporting function to track down any missing expenses that may be in Expensify, before I look on the credit card end of the feed. But that's about it.... I can't see how it would be a good replacement...

I've had nothing but problems with scheduled submit, & always end up disabling it...And the idea that users would be submitting reports once a week?!?! How about Mastercard just starts sending weekly credit card statements. :#

• judy_oncore
    judy_oncore Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Everything I just read in the posts on this topic indicated that ASR was going away at year end, however, our November transactions are not automatically loading into a November report. Please add me to the group of users that is disappointed to see this feature removed. Our current system, was working very well for us. Why is it that the ASR and CCRD cannot co-exist?

• jbaxter
    jbaxter Approved! Accountant Posts: 39 Expensify Admirer

I agree with all the points raised by the users on this thread. I would be thrilled if automatic statement reporting functionality was reinstated as our bookkeepers are constantly complaining about how much better it was before.

A big problem that we've been encountering is that we can no longer direct expenses to the report we want them on. We have some clients who have both Amex and Visa feeds and also have cash expenses. We want them to only submit a monthly Amex report (that balances to the statement), a monthly Visa report (that balances to the statement) and a cash report if they have any expenses for which they need direct reimbursement. Statement reporting used to automatically allocate the expenses to the correct report for us and anything that wasn't matched was on a 'PENDING matching or reimbursement' report which made reconciling a breeze.
    Now, expenses are randomly added to the most recently created report (or maybe it's the oldest one?) so we are spending a lot more time having to move expenses from one report to another trying to get reports to match the card statements.

The other problem is that concierge is pushing users to submit the reports weekly and that also complicates the reconciliation. I know this it a bit off topic and it's being discussed on another thread but these two issues are connected if you step back and look at the overall process for card feeds.

• Sheena Trepanier

Hello @KatieF @Verat @bbowie @LexiP @Brian_ISC2 @SAOSBR @StephanieL789 @Julia @jonesct @koji @akochanski @judy_oncore and @jbaxter, ( @Daveweez, I see you already commented on the thread I'm about to share, thank you!)

I wanted to bring a recent post to your attention regarding Statement Reporting. You can find the updated information in the Community here. Long story short, we hear you loud and clear and all of the incredibly valuable feedback we've received has uncovered additional pain points to no longer supporting statement reporting. As such, we're going to extend the sunsetting of statement reporting until next year so that we can address those pain points before removing the feature.

Cheers!

• SAOSBR
    SAOSBR Approved! Accountant Posts: 36 Expensify Admirer

Oh my this is the best news I could have found on a Friday!!! Thank you @Sheena Trepanier

• Sheena Trepanier

You're welcome @SAOSBR.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• jbaxter
    jbaxter Approved! Accountant Posts: 39 Expensify Admirer
  • GLTJeff
    GLTJeff Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

Oh but wait! So if you're like me and have a group of companies you support, then you're out of luck.

I have SEVEN domains that have been registered on the system for over a year. 3 of them got setup completely before we started having feed issues with the bank. Now that has been resolved with new cards and a new unified feed. Im trying to setup the remaining 4 today and have NO ACCESS to ASR.

Are you kidding me? Its ONE ACCOUNT with multiple domains. Who is going to be the one to tell my finance team that supports ALL SEVEN DOMAINS that the get to use ASR for half of their workload and the not completely baked process we are being forced into?

If an account had ASR active on ANY of its domains then the entire account should be grandfathered and have access to ASR until the issues are resolved.

I am so angry right now that a product Ive long thought was awesome and run by people who get it are now turning a blind eye when they decide they think they know better than we do when it comes to running our business.

• Jenica
    Jenica Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Admirer

This is an old discussion, but all of these points are all of the exact pain points we have had for the last 6 months since this change was forced on all of the users. We are a large company and have had multiple frustrations for all of our users within the last 6 months since this change.

Are there any new changes coming that will bring back statement reporting or something similar to it? I have really enjoyed using the reconciliation dashboard to reconcile each month, but there was A LOT of USER functionality lost when the statement reporting was removed. The main frustration for our users being that many employees are assigned more than one credit card. After statement reporting was removed, all transactions from all cards are lumped into one huge report for the employee making it very confusing and frustrating when uploading receipts. Whether we turn on "scheduled submit" or not, it does not solve the problem of all transactions from multiple cards being lumped into one big report.

• SAOSBR

Checking in on the status / plan for statement reporting because we avoid it for all new clients we put on Expensify because we know you are taking it away but the new way is just not working for many reasons...a new one I figured out today. If an employee has two types of credit cards (Amex and BOA) then all their charges are going on ONE report with the new way where as I have an old client that is still using Statement Reporting and has the ability to have a report for each card labeling it an XX Amex Report X Month or vice versa for the BOA card. I cannot tell you how helpful this is and I don't like that it can't be done with the new way. Can you confirm if you really are going to take statement reporting away or if I can keep using it for clients who it benefits? Please help keep it or keep the aspects of it somehow.

• SAOSBR

@Sheena Trepanier - tagging you here to see if you have the most up to date data on my question posted last here in this thread yesterday. Please give me good news.

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team

@SAOSBR We don't currently have a timeline for removing this feature as other features need to be updated prior to removing it. Because these new features are lower priority they are not currently being worked on. The statement reporting beta will likely not be removed this year. When we do have a date we will update this thread and notify all users on it directly.

• SAOSBR
  • LMS
    LMS Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

@Nicole Trepanier I second @SAOSBR. I beg you not to remove statement reporting! The new way just does not work for our set up. We reconcile in QB after exporting from Expensify. There is NO need to reconcile in Expensify. When people have a Credit Card that is connected to the bank feed and also submit an expense reimbursement, it all comes in on one report. Why would that happen? Why can't they be split like they used to be when the statement reporting was live? Then when we export the report to QB, it all lands in the Credit Card GL and not split into Credit Card and Expense reimbursement. It is causing so much more work to then spit up in QB. It was flawless with the Statement Reporting. I have zero idea why Expensify would remove it entirely. At least give us the option?? PLEASE DON'T REMOVE IT.