How often should Smart Scan succeed?

WhitcoWhitco Posts: 3Expensify Customer

We have tried the free app, but less than 1 in 2 scans succeed. Receipts are photographed from within the app. Good lighting, uncrumpled clear receipts.

Doesn't seem to save too much time if more than half have to be entered manually.

Any tips on improving the strike rate?

TIA

Answers

• Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Posts: 40Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Hi!

SmartScan will read and transcribe the Merchant, Amount and Date, as long as these fields are legible on the receipt. Can you confirm that all three data points are visible on these receipts? SmartScan should only fail if these are missing or the image is unclear.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Michelle

• WhitcoWhitco Posts: 3Expensify Customer

Hi Michelle, yes we know that. My question is how often should a Smart scan pick up details with a properly presented and legible receipt?

I mentioned that the receipts were very clear, not crumpled and very legible, yet more than 1 in 2 fail.

Anyone else find this "feature" doesn't work too well?

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 586Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@Whitco Can you share an image of the receipt here (blur any private information) so that we can take a look at one that's failed? Our SmartScan success rate is around 97% so I'd love to help you figure out why you are seeing so many fail.

• HALLDAHALLDA Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

My SmartScan success rate is nowhere near 97%. If I count scans that "pass" but that contain very obvious errors, I'm batting at about 65%. SmartScan is a fail for me. The only thing useful is that I still get receipt logged in the app, so I don't lose it.

Frankly, SmatScan is embarrassing me, because I have sublmitted receipts on expense claims where the value of the receipt has been incorrectly transcribed from the receipt. Looks like I'm trying to scam my client. Now I have to manually check every receipt to ensure the numbers are correct. Pretty hopeless for 2019 tech...

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 929Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hey @HALLDA can you please email your examples into [email protected]?

We actually raise engineering tickets for all errors reported so that we can improve the SmartScan. Unfortunately a lot of people don't bother reporting them, so it's likely that we are missing out on some data here.

Please, definitely, if there is something which is SmartScanned incorrectly, let us know so that we can improve it!