Does Expensify have the capacity to categorize different expenses? Not everything is from one pot.

RonnieJ8301
RonnieJ8301 Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Considering I work at a non-profit, and most of our funding for my specific department is grant-based, does Expensify have the capacity to differentiate different funding source codes?

Best Answer

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓

@RonnieJ8301 Since you are new to Expensify, I recommend that you reach out directly to concierge@expensify.com. Our team will be your best point of contact for helping you research the benefits of using Expensify.

To give you a little context on my original answer, categories and tags are levels of coding that can be applied to each expense. The categories are usually a collection of your accounting GL accounts and tags can be lists of departments, classes, or, in your case, funding source codes.

Answers

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

Hi @RonnieJ8301! With Expensify, you have the option to add a category and up to 5 levels of tagging depending on your needs. If you are integrating with an accounting software, this information can be imported directly from your accounting software. Check out our Category article here and let me know if you have any questions!

• RonnieJ8301
    RonnieJ8301 Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Hi Nicole!

Thanks for your message. I appreciate you taking the time in answering my question. However, I am not exactly 100% sure what you mean by "adding a category" and "up to 5 levels of tagging." I'm fairly new to all this, but I am trying to do some research for my National Director on a way forward for simplify expense reporting and paying out our employees in a prompt manner -- not 3-4 weeks down the line. Honestly, I would love to speak with someone about the surrounding questions I have about this platform. Are you or anyone else available to chat? If so, please let me know and I'll reserve some time so I can chat with someone. Lastly, I'm not sure what accounting software our Finance Dept uses but I can definitely ask.

Thank you,

Ronnie