Can an admin merge accounts for an end user?

paulchunn
paulchunn Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Advanced Admin Controls

Why does the Admin not have rights to merge accounts? Since it driven to the user to complete, can you give me one example where I would want a user to merge 2 accounts on their own? This frustrates me as I have to work with the end user to complete the task, completely wasting both our time during the process. Is there an easier way to merge?

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hello @paulchunn, glad to help with this. The ability to merge two accounts together lies only with the account owner, and we do not have any plans to change this on our road map.

A common use case for an employee merging their accounts together would be:

Sharon gets married and changes her name from Sharon Smith to Sharon Adams. Her company updates her email address internally and everything is working well. Sharon logs in and realizes she is using the wrong email and reaches out to her admin for help.

The admin invites Sharon's new email to the policy or domain, creating a new account for Sharon's new email, instead of letting Sharon know about secondary logins.

Sharon now has an account under her old email and an account under her new email. Sharon can quickly merge her to accounts together and choose her new primary email address.

That being said, I want to make sure that you and your employee get this sorted. Can you tell me a little bit more about what is happening? Are you receiving any error messages you could share with me?

Also, is your company using Domain Control in Expensify?

• amaniccia
    amaniccia Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

I am having a similar issue... I have the same user who signed up via email and phone number and need to merge the two into 1 user. Can you please help me with this???

• Stevie LaFortune
    Stevie LaFortune Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 240 Expensify Team

Hi @amaniccia

Your user should be able to merge their accounts created under an email and phone number the same as any other without trouble.

To merge two accounts head to Expensify.com. Merging accounts isn't an action you can take on the mobile app.

• Once you've logged in go to Settings > Account
    • Scroll to the Merge Accounts section and fill in the fields. Keep in mind you'll have to enter the entire phone number including the area code XXX-XXX-XXXX.

This will merge the two accounts into one. All of the reports, imported cards, secondary logins and most settings will be brought into your new account. Be careful because merging accounts is not reversible!

• amaniccia
    amaniccia Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

I gave him the instructions already.. but you know the old adage, "you can lead a horse to the water...."

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

@amaniccia the person who invents a giant arm that comes out of the computer and makes people click things, will be a very popular person indeed!

Looks like old-fashioned persistence might the tool you are left with! 😀