Update your Chase card connection now!

Stevie LaFortune
Stevie LaFortune Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 240 Expensify Team
edited November 2019 in Product Updates

Great news -- as part of the ExpensifyApproved! Banks program, we've upgraded our Chase card feed connection with a new API to provide a more reliable connection for our users! Chase users will no longer be required to have Direct Connect enabled or have a Business Checking account to connect their cards to Expensify.  We will be completely removing the old Chase feed on December 6th, so please check out the instructions below on how to transition to the new connection soon.

This includes accounts such as Chase Checking, Chase Consumer Credit Card, Chase Business Credit Car, Chase Overdraft Line of Credit, Chase Business Spend Focus.

Please note that the instructions provided below apply to individual users with personal Chase cards and companies importing their cards via direct bank connection. If your company cards are imported via a CDF or VCF feed no action is required on your end.

Important Step! Before deleting your old connection please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to your Expensify account are added to reports and submitted. When you delete a card, all unsubmitted expenses from that transaction feed will be deleted. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in your account.

Personal Card Import

We encourage you to transition to the new Chase connection before the end of November to avoid any last-minute issues. This way, you can remove this task off your to-do list and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!

On the Expensify website navigate to Settings > Your Account > Credit Card Import > Import Card/Bank and choose the Chase connection.

Once successfully synced, make sure to delete your old Chase connection to avoid importing duplicate expenses. Just a quick tip here, before deleting your old connection please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to your Expensify account are added to reports and submitted. When you delete a card, all unsubmitted expenses from that transaction feed will be deleted. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in your account.

Company Card Import

We encourage you to transition to the new Chase connection before the end of November, to avoid any last-minute issues. This way, you can remove this task off your to-do list and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!

The following steps can only be completed by a Domain Admin.

On the Expensify website navigate to Settings > Domain Control > Company Cards > Import Card/Bank and choose the Chase connection.

Make sure to start a new connection here (as opposed to "Assign new cards"):

Once the integration is set up you can delete the old Chase connection to avoid importing duplicate expenses. Then assign the individual cards back to users accounts from the Company Cards page.

Just a quick tip here, before deleting your old connection please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to users Expensify accounts are added to reports and submitted. When a card is deleted, all unsubmitted expenses from that transaction feed will be deleted. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in users' accounts.

Happy expensing!

Comments

• RI_8806
    RI_8806 Expensify Customer Posts: 12 Expensify Admirer

Question - will I likely be dealing with duplicate transactions no matter what? Even if I submit all the reports I can, employees are already working on their next reports. So if I add the new connection now, there will be duplicates correct? But I can't delete the old one until I think they've submitted all their "old" reports?

• Lisa_64
    Lisa_64 Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Question - Can you remove the old feed after January 1, 2020?

That would make it much easier for expenses for tax purposes (so we don't have to "submit" an expense report for the year by Dec 6.

Thanks!

• Stevie LaFortune
    Stevie LaFortune Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 240 Expensify Team

Hi @RI_8806 I see you have Domain Control enabled and cards importing and assigned to users there, that's perfect! You should set an end date for your users to report expenses. Then on the new connection, select the date after to start the transactions importing -

Getting a head start on this will allow you to get those expenses reported and new ones flowing! If you are concerned that there still might be some trouble, under the settings tab select "Personal Liability" -

This will give your user the ability to delete any duplicates.

Make sure to run the reconciliation report before un-assigning any card.

• Stevie LaFortune

Hi @Lisa_64! We aren't able to adjust the cutoff date. I see you have a unique way you're creating your reports, using the report to classify expenses. It's very organized, I can see how that works well for you.

Have you considered including tags as well as categories? I don't think you should change your process for 2019, you have too much already complete.

Typically just keeping reports open for a whole year isn't recommended. They aren't "locked" down until they are in a closed state.

Combining the use of categories and tags to clearly classify your expenses and adding them to a monthly report is a more recommended process.

Then, at the end of the year, you are able to easily select all reports for the year in questions and export them to a CSV export, giving you all the details in one report. Check out the attached help page for more details.

EXPORT CUSTOM REPORTS

As a workaround for your situation, I would suggest to establish the new connection at the last minute and leave the old connection as well. Since you have your cards connected under the personal connection you won't have trouble deleting duplicates. Finish up the year - if the old connection does continue to pull some transactions, you'll just need to delete them. When January 1st comes - go ahead and make sure to remove the old connection once the reports for 2019 are all closed.

• Dmitriy
    Dmitriy Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

I added a new Chase card connection just yesterday. How can I tell if it is new or old type? I already have some expenses that were imported and associated with receipts. And I can't submit all of them right now for a variety of reasons.

What will happen if I remove the card now and re-add in a new way. Will it de-associate Card Transaction information from unsubmitted expenses (that had receipts) and then new import will re-merge with them? Or will my expenses just disappear, including receipt photos (for which I no longer have originals - I don't keep them)?

• Dmitriy
    Dmitriy Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

Also, what will happen on Dec 6 if I still have unsubmitted expenses. Will that card connection just stop importing new transaction, or will it forcefull delete expenses?

• Stevie LaFortune

Hi @Dmitriy I did take a look into your account, and both card that are connected are using the old connection.

Removing the card will disassociate the receipt from the expense. The expense will be removed and the receipt will be listed in your account on the expenses page as an "unknown" merchant with a $0 amount.

Once you reestablish the connection you'll be able to manually add those receipts to the imported card transaction by selecting them both then the merge option will appear in the upper right area, we won't be able to auto-merge those receipts.

On December 6th, the card connection will simply stop importing transactions. It will not be totally removed so you will still retain those imported expenses.

• RI_8806
    RI_8806 Expensify Customer Posts: 12 Expensify Admirer

@Stevie LaFortune you mentioned that on 12/6 the old connection will just stop importing transactions. So couldn't we theoretically have the new connection just start importing effective 12/6 and let everyone submit expenses on the old card until then to minimize the risk of duplicates? Honestly there are just so many expenses and users to consider; just worried about the transition being as smooth as possible. I don't think staff are going to remember a cut off date and know what to delete... accounting staff will be tasked with going into everyone's and fixing it.

• receipts
    receipts Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Why???

Important Step! Before deleting your old connection please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to your Expensify account are added to reports and submitted. When you delete a card, all unsubmitted expenses from that transaction feed will be deleted. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in your account.

Why delete unsubmitted expenses? I 'might' understand 'unreported' (not really - seems like this could be handled with good programming) - but deleting unsubmitted midyear isn't really acceptable. I have several reports that are only submitted annually.

Not very user friendly - maybe programmer friendly.....

@Lisa_64 asks nicely, but I really cant understand how programming cant fix this instead of just cramming it down the user

• Stevie LaFortune

@RI_8806 Yes, you definitely can do that! We encourage users to get this done sooner rather than later to avoid waiting until the last minute and running into any unforeseen issues.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to set your own card to import right away - make sure transactions import as expect and you don't have any trouble. Then unassign your card (this will remove all the imported transactions from it) and reassign with the December start date.

• jenthat
    jenthat Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Hi there. I am trying to add the new Chase credit card connection & have gone through the process twice. It seems to have worked, but don't see anywhere to assign the "new" cards to my existing users. When I click on "Assign New Cards," I get a pop-up that says "Unfortunately, this bank connection is no longer supported or has been upgraded."
  • Stevie LaFortune
    Hi @receiptsSubmitting expenses weekly and monthly is the best practice for the majority of our users. The standard workflow is to remove any unsubmitted expenses when a credit card is removed. It sounds like you haven't run into a situation that you've needed this - but there are plenty.  A good example is if a card is accidentally assigned to the wrong account/email, they won't be stuck with 90 days worth of expenses that aren't theirs.

If you have more questions regarding this, please feel free to reach out to concierge@expensify.com and we'd be glad to help.
  • jenthat
    jenthat Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    I just figured it out. I needed to select the "new" account from the drop-down. 
  • Stevie LaFortune
    Hi @jenthat - Exactly - Glad to hear you were able to find that!

So for anyone else that is having this same trouble - under Domain Control > [Domain Name] Company Card - then Imported Cards, make sure to have the Chase (New and Upgraded) connection selected by clicking on the down arrow next to the connection.

• bouzo622
    bouzo622 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Hello, I have a question regarding creating a new Chase connection (per the email that the old connection will cease as of Dec 6th). So I went ahead and saved all expenses imported up through 11/15 into Closed Reports. I then went ahead and attempted to create a new Chase card connection. I went through all the steps per the instructions on the email and community forum. I also was able to confirm through the Chase website that indeed Expensify has been connected. BUT, I'm not seeing any "new" cards per se listed in the Credit Card Import section of Expensify. The former Chase account connections are the only once there. Can you please assist and let me know if the new connection will simply start importing expenses through the cards that are already shown there?
  • Corinne Ofstad
    Corinne Ofstad Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 21 Expensify Team
    @bouzo622 Our customer team would love to help! Could you reach out to concierge@expensify.com describing the trouble? We can then take a further look. Thanks so much!
  • Michael_Brooks_2027
    Michael_Brooks_2027 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Will we loose expenses if they are submitted and not approved or in other words "Processing"  There must be a work around so we don't loose expenses.  Please share what it might be.
  • CDay
    CDay Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    I have updated most of my connections .. only 3 left to move.  However, we have 2 entities (2 policies) under one domain and 2 Chase accounts.  My cardholders activity is not updating unless I go to domain control > assign new card and reestablish each connection and manually update each cardholder.  Never had this problem with the old feed.  How do I correct this issue?  Previously payments were not pulled in as transactions and they are pulling in now.  Can you make that stop - or can I - other than having to have the main account cardholder delete that transaction every time?
  • Sonia Liapounova
    Sonia Liapounova Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 211 Expensify Team
    @Michael_Brooks_2027 - you will not lose Processing, Approved, Reimbursed, or Closed expenses! Only Unreported and Open expenses will be removed when a card is removed.

@CDay - could you please email concierge@expensify.com? We can definitely get this one sorted for you, but I think it would be better to do it in a private conversation :)
  • hershcules
    hershcules Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    Agreed with some of the other posts here, not sure why the old feed can't be deprecated on Jan 1.  I am a 1099 worker and itemize my deductions on my taxes so need my annual list of unsubmitted expenses across the credit cards I've added to Expensify in order to do this.  Booo
  • jimo
    jimo Expensify Customer Posts: 0 Expensify Newcomer
    What happens after Dec 6 if an expense is in a closed report but has to be re-assigned to a different category? Expensify is inaccurate in classification. Will the expense be unrecognized or deleted when a closed report is re-opened and an expense is returned to unassigned status?
  • MCY
    MCY Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
    Ok - exactly HOW do you delete the old connection ?!?  How is it that Expensify continues to publish incomplete instructions ?
  • chadavail1
    chadavail1 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    I have an entire years worth of duplicated expenses now since I missed the date,  What is the best way to remove all the duplicates?
  • Stevie LaFortune
    @MCY removing the connection differs depending on where is the card is connected.

First to keep in mind before removing connections or unassigning cards, is that all expenses are submitted on a report.

If you have the card connected as a personal connection under Settings > Account > Credit Card Import you'll be able to simply select the red trash can to remove the connection.  If you don't see a red trash can, that means that a Domain Admin assigned the card to you.

If the card was assigned by a Domain Admin, they will need to navigate to Settings > Domains > [Domain Name] > Company Cards - then "unassign" cards under the setting cog to the right of the assigned card.  Once all cards are unassigned, the connection will not be seen any longer.

• Stevie LaFortune
    edited December 2019
    @jimo @chadavail1 Thanks for bringing these questions to light - 
    I've added more details to a new post regarding updating card connections that you might find useful here -

Updating your Chase and Wells Fargo connections - don't worry if you missed the date!

• Paulina
    Paulina Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Good morning. We switched to new connection for our Chase cards. We are using Domain control, credit cards are assigned to 2 different domains. Looks like one domain works fine, cards update ever day, so we get reports regularly. Cards linked under second domain do not update, we tried to update them manually to get new expenses and new reports, but it doesn't work. I sent an email to concierge@expensify.com on Tuesday 10th, but no answer. Could you please have a look for us, this is quite urgent, we need to get missing charges and reports in Expensify as soon as possible. Thank you in advance !
  • Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Just a reminder:  

We do not troubleshoot credit card issues in this Community 

Often, the Success Team must ask for identifying information and we will never ask you to share private information in this Community. In an effort to protect our customers, all credit card troubleshooting must be done via concierge@expensify.com. 

Thanks!
  • LesKoop_2019
    LesKoop_2019 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    When I go to connect and/or fix Chase card connection with new connection, it adds in many cards from our account instead of giving me the option to choose which card I want to connect.  How do I get it to stop pre-selecting cards?
  • Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Hi @lesKoop_2019 thanks so much for posting. 

This behavior isn't expected and I'd like our Success Team to take a closer look at this. Can you follow the instructions below for me?

1. Log into your account using your preferred browser,
    2. Head to Settings > Account > Credit Card Import,
    3. Connect Chase again and take a screenshot of any screen that gives you the option to select cards, even if all the options are selected and greyed out,
    4. Email concierge@expensify.com and send us the screenshot as well as any new information you ran into when taking the steps. 
    We do not troubleshoot credit card connection issues in the Community because we have to ask for or share identifying or personal information to do so, and we would never do that in a public forum like the Community. 

Cheers!