Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

We're currently experiencing issues with our American Express and Capital One connections. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Reports automatically created based on month WITHOUT scheduled submit

JenicaJenica Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

I would love another option that would separate transactions based on the bank's statement period. As of right now, we only have the option for various time periods of "scheduled submit" or "manual submit". Neither of these options fit our need as we require employees to fill out all of their information at the end of every month and submit it when it is complete. If it "auto-submits" for them, then we are left without all of the information we need. If it is manually submitted, then the reports are separated based on random time periods and I, as the policy admin, are left organizing reports every month based on the dates within the month.

The previous feature of "statement reporting" allowed reports to be separated based on credit card. I have various users that are in charge of more than one card and as it is now (after the end of year change), all transactions get merged into one big open report, which makes it difficult as the user to sort through the transactions and receipts every month when using the mobile app. Also, unless you are the "policy admin", you do not have access to the reconciliation dashboard or any way to easily sort through reports of each card's expenses. It forces awkward methods for retrieving information on reporting (which isn't the whole purpose on this software is to help provide reports on your expenses easily?)

PLEASE PLEASE add back in the option for "statement reporting" or another feature that would solve these problems.

11 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• mbathelmbathel Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer
    Yes statement reporting would be a great feature!
  • posticercheposticerche Expensify Customer Posts: 11 Expensify Newcomer

We used to love the Statement Reporting feature. We were just pushed off of it and the Scheduled Submit does not work for us at all. Like Jenica mentioned, the Scheduled Submit reports will not have all the expenses necessary to match the Credit Card statement and manual reports left up to users will make it difficult to reconcile. We've used Expensify since 2013 and have recommended it many times.

I have gone round and round with support about how the Reconciliation Dashboard is useless without a better way to get our expenses onto reports correctly and approved by multiple approvers easily.

Without some feature to help us match reports to the credit card statement we will probably have to look for another provider that fits our needs better.

• John SchusterJohn Schuster Expensify Team Posts: 51 Expensify Team
    edited July 29

Hey there, @posticerche! Thanks for chiming in, and sorry to hear you've had trouble with our suggested way forward.

Regarding Statement Reporting – I totally get where you're coming from. It truly was a great feature. However, we found over time that it was causing some pretty big headaches for our users with some of the logic that was baked into it, so we opted to deprecate it in favor of a more stable and flexible option.

That said, I'm sure we could work to fill in some gaps with our suggested way forward, and I'd love to chat with you more about what you think we need in order to do that!

From your previous comment, it sounds like the main issue stems from being unable to match expenses that have been imported into Expensify to the statement provided by your bank. Is that right?

I'm pretty sure we can already do this, but it sounds like we might be missing the mark. Can you help me understand where the gap is in this process? I'd love to see if we can improve this for you and anyone else that is experiencing this gap.

Thanks!

@John Schuster Thanks for the reply. It's not necessarily that we can't match expenses to the credit card statement, it's that we can't generate a report that matches the statement. With Scheduled Submit any transactions that have a violation are automatically moved to a new report that then starts filling up with new transactions from the subsequent credit card cycle. For the user to correct things at that point an admin would have to reject their automatically submitted report and then move transactions over from the newly generated report to get to the correct report total that matches their CC statement.

What would work well for us is to still use a monthly Scheduled Submit date, but if the report has policy violations, alert the user and allow them to be resolved before the report gets submitted automatically. The user can then manually submit once the violations are fixed. This allows the transactions for the month to stay intact instead of spread between multiple reports with various submit dates.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer on this request as it is costing my team and our users a lot of time to manage multiple reports per user per month and we are having to calculate the totals of multiple reports together to ensure they balance to the CC statement.

@posticerche Thanks for clarifying that! That's super helpful.

Hm... By any chance have you gotten to use the Reporting Tools under Domain Settings? This tool would allow you to generate a report that captures all corporate card expenses within a specified date range. Could this work for you if you were to set the date range to the same range as your card statement?

@John Schuster Yes, we have been using the Recon Dashboard for a while to assist us with balancing to our statement. The issue is that the Recon is based on expenses while approvals are based on reports. Generally, what happens is I use the Recon Dashboard to spot expenses that were shifted to next month's reporting cycle, I then have to manually move them back to another report that can be submitted right away for approval. Because these expenses that have violations at the end of one month get shifted automatically to the next month and new expenses are added, the reports start to get difficult to manage by users and an admin need to fix it for them.

We know we can have reports for shorter time periods but we have surveyed our leadership team many times hoping to move to a weekly process. For a manager that has 40 employees, he will now have about 170 reports to approve each month rather than 40. There will be less expenses to approve, but the time is spent on the number of reports, not necessarily the number of transactions. It also makes it difficult if we can't use the reports to balance to each user's statement when there are times that the Recon Dashboard is off from our CC statement by 15% or more (which is a fluke with our CC provider). Nonetheless, having better reports management would help us better match the user's statement with a single report and not have to manually move expenses around for users.

Thanks for laying that out so clearly, @posticerche! There's definitely a lot here to address, but I'd like to focus for a moment on your comments about the Reconciliation Dashboard not matching your credit card statements.

You mentioned that you've seen the Dashboard being off from the statement by 15% or more at times, and then mentioned it being a fluke with the credit card provider. Can you help me understand this in a bit more detail?

The Reconciliation Dashboard should match 1:1 with your statement. If there's a bug in the Dashboard, we'll want to squash it.

If you're able to send along examples that would help me catch the error, I'd love to take a look! Can you kick off a conversation in Concierge with your examples and reference this conversation?

I'd love to get to the bottom of this with you!

@John Schuster I will reach out to concierge, but I don't want to lose sight of the updates to reporting that would dramatically help those of use that are trying to match report totals to CC statements.

@posticerche Totally! I think we should continue the conversation here once we check in on your examples so we can verify if the Dashboard is working as expected, as that will inform our conversation further.

Thanks!

@John Schuster I ran the Recon Dashboard this morning and it was within a couple hundred dollars. It looks like it took a couple of days (I originally ran it on the 27th for a cycle that closed on the 26th) to post all the transactions through. Also, because the cycle ended on a weekend this month (July 26th) it seems had to change my recon date to June 27th - July 27th for it to capture the majority of our expenses. Is there a way for Expensify to save my Recon Dates so I don't have to change them from the current date each time I want to run a recon?

The Recon Dashboard has generally worked well for us, but we still have to move expenses around on reports to make things work. How can we work towards a report setting that only submits automatically on a date if all the expenses have no violations, holds back the entire report if violations exist, notifies the user and lets them fix the violations and submit?

@Jenna Hay I guess that's what I am so frustrated with. It does make a difference which report the expenses are on if they automatically shift to the next month's report that won't be submitted until the end of the next cycle. This then requires people to move expenses from the next month's report and create a new report to get them submitted to be approved. Either that or give me a way to get approvals from all the expenses on the Recon Dashboard for a user no matter what reports they are on. If the Recon Dashboard is only going to look at expenses and the approvals only work for reports, that's where the Recon Dashboard falls short. It is a tool that we use and it's great, but we still have to manage the reports and their approvals separately. I am not asking that the whole system be changed, just that a new option is available for those of us that don't want to be chasing multi levels of approvals for 10 reports when it should only be one. Expensify should be adding features not taking them away from users especially since the price has gone up with pricing structure changes since we started using it in 2013.

• Michael HaxhiuMichael Haxhiu Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 26 Expensify Team

Hey @posticerche You actually can manage approvals from the Reconciliation Dashboard if you need. We see many of our admins doing this when they need to accelerate expense submission/approvals.

The gist is that you can filter by a date range, see the CC expenses for each cardholder, and then click the hyperlinked "Unapproved total" to view those corresponding expenses. Here's a screenshot for reference:

Have you given this a try on your side?

@Michael Haxhiu Right, but if expenses that were moved to the next month's report are now mixed in with expenses from this month's report, I now have to go move those expenses to a different report and kick off the approval process.

• Michael HaxhiuMichael Haxhiu Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 26 Expensify Team

Hey @posticerche it sounds like you've made your case here to have expenses separate by monthly periods. Let's leave this out for other customers to express interest and upvote, as this is one of the feedback loops we use to build future features.