Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

We're currently experiencing issues with our American Express and Capital One connections. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Export receipt images from the Expenses not just the Reports

kidssalekidssale Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

For audit purposes, we really need a way to select a certain category (or job, or vendor, or date etc) and then be able to export all of the receipt images for the selected items. Only providing a link as it is currently structured is very tedious.

22 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• MattHMattH Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I can't believe this software doesn't have the capabilities of exporting MY images that I have uploaded. I thought for this would be a no brainer.....is this ever going to be an option?

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 494 Expensify Team

@MattH While the only way to export receipt images is by downloading a PDF of your report, we don't have this feature on the road map at this time. If we are able to get enough demand for it here it will have a real chance of being added to the roadmap in the future.

• mbathelmbathel Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer
    I think it would also be very helpful to be able to export receipt images for selected dates, and not only for a given report. This would be very helpful for corporate credit card administrators. My company reconciles credit card transactions by month and we upload the transactions and receipts to our accounting system by month.
  • StephanieL789StephanieL789 Expensify Customer Posts: 27 Expensify Admirer
    so. how many people visit over the course of a month and vote anything up. Is this actually a reliable way to guage interest? I have seen this request multiple times but yet, people have to actually notice this request before you will pay attention? so frustrating. If I could only vote up for each time I have had to download a report with only one expense on it that I needed (and 20 I dont) times 200 reports a month. 
  • Zany RenneyZany Renney Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 59 Expensify Team
    Hi Stephanie,
    We do review all the suggestions that our users have, but do not have a 'magic number' that a feature or suggestion needs to receive in order to be pulled into development. Some other aspects such as complexity to develop, are also taken into account.
    As we are always super busy with our product roadmap it can mean that other things get prioritised.
    We love hearing suggestions from the Expensify community though, please do keep writing your ideas to us and voting on ideas you'd like to see.
    Thanks!

• JBodnarJBodnar Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Want to add our use case in here.

When we invoice our clients for reimbursement most require original images of the receipts for anything over a certain threshold.

While all of these expenses are marked Billable in Expensify and exported to Quickbooks with attachments of the receipt images, the issue is how Quickbooks handles those attachments.

Adding those billable expenses to a QBO invoice attaches them to the email individually. So an invoice with 30 line items for reimbursement will include 30 individual images. Many of our clients require a single PDF of these receipt images for processing purposes and sending a large number of attachments can cause their email systems to bounce the email.

Alternatively, we could send along the downloaded CSV with links to all of the receipt images, but that is a bad experience for our clients to have to manually download many receipt images.

So we have to resort to opening all of the reports that include relevant receipts (which may be 5+), downloading the PDF, exporting the relevant pages, and then combining into a single document.

The ideal situation would be, using the "Expenses" view to filter to the relevant expenses - the project tag and billable expenses - and then selecting all and having an option to download receipt images as a PDF or even a zip file of all the individual attachments for those expenses.

An intermediary step that would be use would be the same filtering and selecting all relevant expenses, but then an option to export the PDFs of the reports those expenses are on. At least that way we don't have to filter to the relevant expenses and then manually click into each relevant report to download the PDF.

• CeliaCelia Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Amen, and there are multiple requests on here that are really all the same thing but worded differently, dispersing the upvoting progress of the most obvious updates we need for this tool to be useful.

• CeliaCelia Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I've done this as well with reports with 70+ receipts, downloading the images and saving them on a document, numbering each photo, and attaching the CVS version of the list. Please make it easier to convert "billed" lists to invoices. This is crazy making, when it feels soooo close. Everything is there, on the page, but you can't export it or turn it into a report.

• SarahHSarahH Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    edited June 8

EXACTLY. I do bookkeeping for a dozen small businesses. They all have to submit a pdf document of receipts. THIS IS INDUSTRY STANDARD and saying otherwise is untrue. Sending individual URL or download links to clients when submitting reimbursable travel expenses (often numbering in the hundreds) will get you nothing but a returned invoice and request for receipts via pdf. Furthermore, I have sat through many IRS and state sales and use tax audits over the years and NO AUDITOR accepts individual URL or download links to images. You have to have originals or scans of originals for the audit date range, or at a minimum by month. End of story. So what is the point of uploading everything to Expensify if the #1 and #2 reasons we have to keep receipts in your cloud are rendered useless?

The whole point of using this program is to be able to gather and better utilize expense data accrued from multiple sources. We bought into this software was to a.) easily gather receipts and b.) generate expense reports with receipt images. The reporting limitations were shocking. We had no idea that report was limited to the person who originated the expense and a date range. Our workaround? I HAVE TO PRINT OUT EVERY SINGLE RECEIPT SCAN FROM VARIOUS EMPLOYEE EXPENSIFY REPORTS (often hundreds) AND SCAN THOSE PRINT OUTS AS ONE PDF DOCUMENT VIA A SEPARATE PROGRAM. It's absurd and causes so much extra work. But now we're stuck - we've invested so much overhead time setting up this program and getting the entire company to use it that scrapping it is another huge loss.

So hey Expensify: please allow a reports WITH RECEIPT IMAGES to generate based on custom date ranges, project names, billable status, etc: just employee and date. It's a waste. Especially when paired with QB Online and other obvious bookkeeping solutions that already have receipt options to store and save.

Actually, come to think of it, I might as well cancel our subscription and start using QB Online receipt capture. It's no greater functionality but one less program I have to wrestle to make work.

Signed,

Disappointed in Minneapolis

PS. Please don't respond with a "we will happily relay this to our engineers!" or "we haven't heard this request before - can't imagine it's needed?" when clearly it's been requested over and over again. We don't need you to sell us a credit card and other "new features". We need you to focusing on giving us the baseline product functionality we assumed we were buying. Thanks.

• Epic_PainterEpic_Painter Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I would like to piggyback on this request add that receipts should also able to be backed up upon scanning to a cloud drive. When it is done like this, can easily print or email all of the receipts in a selected date range.