How to add Description while Import Transactions from File

Irina_R
Irina_R Expensify Customer Posts: 1
Hello!

I have recently started to use Expensify and my role is to submit all the expenses. One of my regular monthly reports is cash report, where I need to enter the bulk of the rows and attach receipts.

I'm trying to automate my life as much as possible and using Import transactions via CSV.
All is good with data, merchant & amount, but I'd like to import description as well - it's cash and I've already have got everything in one file ready to go. 

Is there any chance to add these details straight away? Maybe any hints for mapping? Currently it allows to add category and tag, but I'm dreaming about description. 

Perhaps there is an alternative way to submit my file as a single report and just add receipts after? 

Any tips are much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Very best, 
Irina 
Tagged:

Answers

• Brigid  Bello
    Brigid Bello Expensify Team Posts: 77 Expensify Team
    Hi Irina, 

There isn't a way to import a description automatically when uploading expenses via spreadsheet, but I'm wondering if there's an alternative approach that you might be able to take here. Have you considered Expense Rules? This feature would allow you to automatically apply a specific description based on Merchant Name, so that might work for you if your descriptions are consistent for a given merchant. 

More generally, I want to make sure you know about our SmartScan and Scheduled Submit features. You mentioned that you already have receipts for your expenses— if that's the case, you might be able to skip uploading a spreadsheet altogether, and simply SmartScan your expenses instead. SmartScan will identify the merchant name, date, and amount of each expense, and you could then setup Expense Rules to automatically apply the correct category and tag(s). Scheduled Submit would then automatically add these expenses to a report.