Is there a way to create a multi-line report?

Bmetzgar
Bmetzgar Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer
For example, my accounting system needs to multi-line import, so I'd like to make the export from Expensify in that manner. For example: Line 1:Employee 1, Report Date, Amount, Description; Line 2: GL Code, Date, Description,  Amount. I've been unable to find a way to do this within the report set up instructions.

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Answers

• Brigid  Bello
    Brigid Bello Expensify Team Posts: 77 Expensify Team
    Hey @Bmetzgar! When you say "multi-line report," do you mean like exporting to a spreadsheet? Every user that is part of a Group Policy has access to six default export formats on the Reports page, and I'm thinking that one of these might capture the details that you're looking for. 
    • Basic Export - A very basic expense level export. 
    • Detailed Export - Similar to the Basic Export but with more expense and report level info. 
    • Report Level Export - This export has a number or report-level details. 
    • Category Export - Shows the total for each category that was used in the exported reports. 
    • Tag Export - Just like the Category Export, but with tags instead of categories. 
    • Multiple Tax Export - Some basic expense level details plus tax details for Canada users.

Each of these exports will email you the report in a CSV file. 

If you'd instead like to build your own custom export, check out our Export Custom Reports Guide! You can create custom exports under your Settings > Account > Preferences > CSV Export Formats. This template will be available to the user on whose account it was created. If you need a custom export template that can be shared among all policy admins, this feature is available on the Control plan. 

Let me know if you have any more questions about this!

• Bmetzgar
    edited January 2020
    @Brigid Bello ,

Thanks for the response. That's not what I'm looking for. My accounting system requires two rows per expense to be imported, not columns, so I was hoping to find a way to export it into rows. For example:
    Employee A, Expense Date, Expense Description
           GL Code, Merchant, Attendees

I'd also like to be able to total by employee by category, but that's unavailable within Expensify custom reports as well, and the Category level you have to run by individual employee, which is kind of frustrating, as the report does not indicate what employee it's for either. If the capability for the reporting is there, I don't understand why it's not available to everyone to use in a custom report.
  • Brigid  Bello
    Brigid Bello Expensify Team Posts: 77 Expensify Team
    Ah got it. Yes, unfortunately we don't have the ability to export two rows per expense using our built in export templates. That said, can you let me know what accounting system you use? I'm curious if we might support a direct or indirect integration. 

As for viewing employee totals by categories, while logged into the web app, you can see expense analytics by going to the Expenses page and clicking the Pie Chart icon located in the View section in the upper right corner. This will allow you to filter by employee and then view totals by category. You can learn more about the Expenses page filters & analytics in this help article. 

• Bmetzgar
    @Brigid Bello We use Sage CRE 300. The Sage import file you have is not what is needed for the import in to CRE 300. It's a different beast that Sage purchased and has changed hands numerous times so it's not very compatible with many systems. 

Re: categories by employee - I know that. I don't understand why it's not something that can be done within one file for all employees. It seems like the capabilities are there, but not yet fully developed. I have already submitted this as an idea. 
  • Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Thank you for letting us know about the SAGE CRE 300 file incompatibility. Would you happen to have a blank copy of the export template that Sage CRE 300 accepts? I can't guarantee that a multi-line export template can be added for Sage CRE 300, but I can pass this information along to our team so we can research the need for this among customers. The template also helps me to reach out internally to see if it's possible for us to add this at some point. 

Thanks as well for adding your idea regarding categories by employee, that's the best step you can take to getting a change made. We review the ideas shared frequently and the Success Team advocates for the ideas that are most popular.