Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

Customer Service Phone Number

GoodSamaritinGoodSamaritin Expensify Customer Posts: 26 Expensify Newcomer

SmartScan hasn't worked for months. The email customer service at the Concierge hasn't resolved this issue and really doesn't seem to care. In fact, they only email back every week or two with asinine requests, demonstrating their lack of understanding where SmartScan is concerned. There is no way to get in touch with a manager or superior to get this issue, or my actual problem rectified. I find this extremely unprofessional. Expensify continues to up sell SmartScan even though these issues are documented and because they refuse to properly interact with customers How does Expensify deal with problematic employees when there is no oversight or ability for customers to interact with managers? I reported this issue in November. Provided a plethora of documentation and emails. All I have received has been three months of run-around filled with useless requests.

Best Answer

• Christina DobryzynskiChristina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 185 Expensify Team
    Accepted Answer

Hi @GoodSamaritin, thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand where we let you down. I can speak for all my team when I say we never want to leave a person struggling with our product. I'd really like to help get things back on track.

The main problem here isn't the SmartScan error, its the lack of assistance provided by Expensify. There is No Case #No Agent ID or Agent NameNo Transparency, and No Accountability. What's worse? Your staff knows and takes advantage of this.

I'm going to address the overarching methodology of our customer support in this community post. Then I'll reach out to your work email regarding the specific SmartScan situation because I was able to find something in our logs that might solve this ongoing riddle.

You can read about our Expensify’s Support Methodology here.

You won't be given a Case # or Agent ID because we don't have those. You are always more than welcome to ask a support agent for his/her name. We don't offer phone support.

Our support is designed for 24 hour coverage so instead of being assigned to a specific customer support agent, you will get help from our entire support team.

We will always get back to you when you email us at [email protected] We will always do our very best to help you resolve the issue.

We will always need your help to get to the root of an issue.

As much as it would be amazing to resolve all issues without seeing screenshots, error messages, or specific details about your product experience - it's not going to be the case.

There are too many possibilities; you might have an issue with the design of the product, you might found a bug, you might be having an issue with a third-party integration, you might have an experience that can help us improve our product.

I reached out to you in the last email you sent to us about the SmartScan issue. Please look for this email in your work inbox. I look forward to getting this resolved for you.

Answers

• GoodSamaritinGoodSamaritin Expensify Customer Posts: 26 Expensify Newcomer

Last message received: 1/9/20

Hi there,

I've asked the engineering team to take a look at your account to see if we can find the reason for why we haven't been receiving your emails. I'm thinking it may be due to the out of office auto-responder so I'm checking with the team if we've accidentally blocked your emails. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them!

Message prior: 1/5/20

Thanks for sending these screenshots across, and I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

Could you make sure that you're using the latest version of Outlook? Additionally, my team has found that users have more success with Outlook when they disable the TNEF format. To do that, follow these steps:

1. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options"

2. Click the "Mail Format" tab.

3. In the "Send in this message format" list, click "Plain Text" or "HTML"

4. Click "OK"

Once you've done that, try forwarding an email again and let me know if it shows up in your Expensify account!

Prior message: 12/27/19

Could you please send me screenshots of the sent emails that failed to SmartScan? In particular, I'd like to have a look at the header at the To: and From: fields.

This will assist in my investigation. Thanks in advance!

Prior message: 12/19/19

Hey XXXXX, can you please elaborate on what "doesn't work"?

Following up on my previous question, could you let me know if you're using Outlook for email? It may be due to a bug in Outlook, specifically when sending to an auto-populated email address.

Prior message: 12/10/19

Hi again,

Thanks for sending those.

I'm not seeing anything particularly wrong with those receipts, and before testing this any further, could you let me know if you're using Outlook for email? It may be due to a bug in Outlook, specifically when sending to an auto-populated email address.

If this is this case, could you try manually entering the [email protected] email address, rather than using the saved Expensify address in the To line? We have found some success with attachments being sent over this way.

If that doesn't work, please let me know and I'll continue troubleshooting.

Prior message: 12/3/19

My system is unable to unscramble the HTML of the mail attachments; can you send over the vendors of the receipts that failed to parse? E.g. amazon.com, klm.nl, etc.? This will allow us to better investigate the technical issue underlying things here. 

Prior message: 12/2/19

As long as you are forwarding your emailed receipts to [email protected] then there wont be any issues. Are you able to confirm that you are forwarding the receipts to the correct email?

Prior message: 11/27/19

Hi XXXXX,

There are no reported bugs for emailed receipts. Can you confirm what's been happening? Have you been sending your emailed receipts to [email protected]?

Many thanks!

Is this true: https://twitter.com/rochelle/status/933515448741535744?lang=en

"I wonder if Expensify SmartScan users know MTurk workers enter their receipts. I’m looking at someone’s Uber receipt with their full name, pick up, and drop off addresses."

• Jason LiJason Li Expensify Team Posts: 147 Expensify Team

Hi @GoodSamaritin - thanks for reaching out! We'd like to address your queries via Concierge - please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if you have any additional questions!

• Christina DobryzynskiChristina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 185 Expensify Team

Hey @GoodSamaritin! A quick follow up because I see you reached out to us in a different community post addressing the same concerns.

I'd really like to help resolve the issue but I'm unable to link the email address associated with your GoodSamaritin username to any recent conversations with [email protected] about the SmartScan issues.

Based on the Twitter thread you included, it looks like the SmartScan issue is pertaining to Uber receipts? If this is true, will you please give me a little more detail about what is happening so I can troubleshoot this for you?

If you are sending any private information, please reach out to me at [email protected] with some screenshots of what you are seeing so I can help.

Hello @Christina Dobryzynski @Jason Li,

SmartScan is rejecting receipts from many vendors including but not limited to Uber, Amazon, and Apple. The first place I went to for help was the "[email protected]" which is mainly the cause for my and other clients' frustrations. See post title. The twitter thread I provided was not related to the Concierge experience which is unbelievably terrible. The replies under this post are all related to this SmartScan issue (with exception to the last which is a concern about USER PRIVACY). The main problem here isn't the SmartScan error, its the lack of assistance provided by Expensify. There is No Case #, No Agent ID or Agent Name, No Transparency, and No Accountability. What's worse? Your staff knows and takes advantage of this.

Christina/Jason, I'm sure you are lovely persons, but even you two didn't provide me with your email addresses or phone numbers. Instead I'm expected to email the general "[email protected]". You are suggesting that the way to resolve the SmartScan issue is to continue getting the run around by emailing anonymous people in the Concierge who know that they will not be personally liable for my customer experience. I have already wasted over two months attempting that. Look at the timeline above and correspondences! "Denial", "Denial", "Denial", "Send us Screenshots to prove you are sending emails to the correct address because we know your too stupid to type in an email address", "Denial", "Denial", and apology with NO FOLLOW UP. Very generally, when I contact a tech support department, they do not infer that I'm an idiot or lying to them about my user experiences. I will die of old age before this issue is resolved via email. Look at the gaps in the communications. Customers have to wait up to two weeks, not for a solution, but an inquiry?

This forum is about the most transparent way to document this specific concern: LACK OF SERVICE AND ACCOUNTABILITY. The level of service I have received at "[email protected]" and its lack of transparency is unfortunately why I am here.

I'm happy to speak with a human or email with one; someone who wants to help, won't treat me like I'm technically illiterate, and has the integrity to provide their name or other identifying information.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 694 Expensify Team

Hi @GoodSamaritin

I just wanted to jump in and directly address that Twitter thread directly, as Christina was not with Expensify when that happened.

That was related to something we were testing with our own internal employee expenses for a very short period of time. We don't use any external organisations for this purpose due to the outcome of that experience.