How to customize work flow

i wanted to customize as

• An Employee submits an expensify report

• Now this report should go to Admin person ( all employee reports should go to that person for 1st review)

• Then this report should go to respective manager after admin person approves the report (please note that every employee has a different manager – Please tell me how to mapp that)

• After respective manager approval report should come to me (Karishma Vartak/final administrator) as a final approval.

Answers

• Brigid  Bello
    Brigid Bello Expensify Team Posts: 77 Expensify Team

Hey there! I'd love to help you out with this. It's not quite possible to set up the exact approval workflow that you're hoping for, but you'd be able to accomplish something close— you would just need reports to go to each user's manager before they go to the Admin and then to you.

Advanced Approval is not defined linearly in the Policy Members table. Instead, the approver listed in an employee's Submits to column will be the first approver for reports created by that employee. To find out where the report goes after the first approver, you'll actually want to find the first approver's email in the user column and check THEIR Approves to field -- not the submitters Approves to field.

This allows you to achieve workflows with multiple tiers of approval for a given report, which would be more difficult to configure if the Policy Members table worked in a linear fashion. 

• Submits to: defines where the report goes when the user listed in the left-most column submits their own report. 
    • Approves to: defines where the report goes when the user listed in the left-most column approves someone else's report. Any user who receives reports for approval but does not have an Approves to designated would be considered the final approver. 

I know this is a bit complicated, so I'm also attaching a couple of useful guides for your review! Approval Workflows and our detailed Advanced Approval example. Please let me know if you have any other questions!