A brand new look for a brand new year!

Sheena Trepanier
Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
edited January 2018 in Product Updates

What better way to usher in the new year? How about a dazzling new look offering a host of great features you can find in your Expensify account.

With our sleek new design, streamlined UI, and fun options for personalizing your account, it’s easier than ever to manage your expenses. The cherry on top of this sundae is the under-the-hood improvements which result in lightning fast search and expense filtering.

So, what’s new?

• Navigate from one central menu on the left side of the page.
  • See your expenses and receipts all in one place – the Receipts page has been folded into the Expenses page!
  • Customize the view on your Expenses page to focus on what you care about most! With views focusing on expense details, receipt images, or analytics there is sure to be an option for you.
  • Search for specific expenses by merchant, or use Advanced Search to refine your results by report status, policy, tag, or category.
  • Make your account a little more personal with your name and photo.

Stephanie from the Success Coach team will guide you through what’s new:

https://expensify.wistia.com/medias/ne8yqrreys

Happy New Year and cheers to a great 2018!

Comments

• RHaydon
    RHaydon Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    edited January 2018

Is there a way to hide expenses/receipts that have already been approved?

NEVERMIND - found it under advanced search.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @Julia - A few weeks ago we released a limited beta of the new pages to admins we knew were interested in testing new features and designs. If you'd be interested in being included in any future betas, let me know!

As always, thank you for the thoughts and your willingness to share them with us. We are very excited for this release and have worked hard to provide resources for you and your employees so that this change isn't as jarring.

We've updated our Help Center for the new design, and created a great doc for training in new employees with the changes in mind. You can find that documentation here.

As you're exploring the new changes, we'll be here to answer any questions you have or listen to any feedback you'd like to share. I'm happy to hear you're optimistic and I think you're going to love the new feel and look.

• Sheena Trepanier

@BrianP - Thanks for the feedback on the pinned filters at the top of the page. I'm going to bring this up with my team right away and if we make any changes I'll be sure to update you on this thread.

@RHaydon - Glad you found it!

• LisaNia
    LisaNia Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I second the request to move the filter back to the left - the real estate for the search already exists, so might as well put it there, plus, this is how I looked to see both reports and expenses that were out of date/etc/

• BrianP
    BrianP Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

@Sheena, thanks for checking it out. I'm probably not using all the correct nomenclature in my post above, but all comments were in reference to the "Expenses" section of the platform. It would be awesome to flip it back, or add one additional layout button which could change what is pinned to the left- give us a choice. Advanced Expenses Search, or the Main menu items. It's a lot of screen real estate to pin those main menus over there, i hardly ever toggle between them compared to the editing process of 500+ expenses at a time with advanced filters to remove duplicates, add receipts, weed out items, etc. I spend 80% of my app time in Expenses and need to see the tools relevant to the edits at all times when in the section! Every other change i have seen has been intuitive, thoughtful, and increases productivity, but disappearing search options, page advance, and merchant filter in Expenses is no bueno! (for how i use the platform)

• Sheena Trepanier

@BrianP - You're welcome for the attention to your post, it's valuable information for us to receive and we appreciate it.

@David_H - Wonderful feedback as well, this is really great to receive. I'm helping my team keep track of suggestions, feedback, and general sentiment for the changes, and will take this opportunity to bring up what you've shared.

I'll keep any other updates in this thread, thanks again!

• David_H
    David_H Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

Thanks Sheena! A little more feedback now that I have used it more:

• I believe there should be some type of visual cue to make it clear to the user that clicking on "open" is referring to an "open expense" and that clicking on it is going to open a report. The natural assumption for many users will be that "open" is a command, and the user will click on it to open the expense to look at it. That is what I did at first, and then got confused that I had somehow jumped to a Report screen.

Another thing I noticed us that at times under advanced search a drop down for tags shows up. But it's very buggy and confusing to users because again, it appears to dynamically show up only when the view has some tags. BUT...often even if the view has some tags it often doesn't show up, and the only way to get it to show up is to refresh the screen.

I can understand the tags drop down not showing up if a company policy had tags turned off, but if they are on, then the tags drop down should always be there, just as the column should always be there (or gives us a simple way to decide what columns we want visible).

Thanks

• David_H
    David_H Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

One thing I absolutely love is that there are now drop downs that allows me as the admin to select other submitters and also cards of other submitters. If that was possible before I was not able to do it. All our cards are company cards, so looking at other users expenses or a specific card whether submitted or unsubmitted does not violate anyone's privacy and will better allow me to see expenses as they are rolling in.

• Sheena Trepanier

Hello @ChrisK - Thanks for joining our discussion about the new changes. Can you tell us a little more about your workflow and why combining the two pages disrupts your process? We'd love to understand more about the effects the changes have on your normal use of Expensify.

• Lesley
    Lesley Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

As an admin I co-pilot into the accounts of all of our credit card holders to mke sure all the expenses that were imported from their corporate cards have been reported. This used to be easier from the expense tab because if the expenses were all reported, there would be nothing there. Now I have to scroll a lot to look at the statuses - Open, Processing, Unreported etc. Basically, I don't want anythign that was imported to be Unreported. If it was manually entered it's less important but I might merge for them or delete if it was a duplicate. I'd like to be able to filter by the various statuses and by imported vs manually entered. Does this functionality exist? Can it soon please? Also, where did the contact us / help thing on the bottom right go?

• Sheena Trepanier

Morning @David_H, thanks for following back up on this discussion!

The Open status on the expense being confused as the open button for the expense details is a new one, but I'm glad you brought it up because it's not something I considered before. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for other mentions of this, thanks again.

The tag dropdown under Advanced Filters though, that I want to look into more right away. I'm going to do some recreating in my test environment and bring what I find to my team. If I'm unable to recreate it, I'll reach out to you via email and hopefully we can get some evidence of it from your account. Either way I'll be in touch about this.

I'm glad you're liking the dropdowns for cards and other users! It sure helps with analyzing spend and reconcile when you can drive down deeper into a single card and isolate those expenses. Have a great day!

• KathyEM
    KathyEM Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

This launch is a failure. No warning, bad timing.

• kleonpilobolusorg
    kleonpilobolusorg Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Overall, I've always disliked the App and been glad it's not a neccessity to use often in my particular position. But now, sadly, all that I dislike about the app is now here on my desktop. Extremely disappointed.

• DannyD
    DannyD Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

It would be great if there were a way to search the Comment field, in addition to the Category and Tag fields.

• bspoke
    bspoke Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I just starting using the new look today and everything is taking forever, page loads are visibly delayed (taking between 1-2 seconds to load anything).

• Lizhong
    Lizhong Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

I share mostly similar sentiments regarding the timing of rollout and UI/UX. Our users have also been complaining about experiencing a lot of slowdowns.

I do enjoy the additional features on the expense tab. Before I had primarily spent my time in Reports as it was a much clearer layout. I think one suggestion I have is to allow us to see an enlarged image of receipts in the first two view options. The third option is simply too much as I only want to focus on the receipts of interest.

• Phase4
    Phase4 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I agree with other users that this is a bad timing for a new layout, yes New Year but we're still dealing with end year expenses. I used to be able to select multiple expenses and add them to a report. Where is that option now? I stared at my screen for a long time trying to figure out how to do it. No luck, so now I have to individually add them. The pages take a long time to load. Adding a receipt on the individual expense module sometimes won't attached. Before a huge UI/UX update, there should be a Beta for all users, not just the ones you think are interested in trying the new features. It would be nice to have an option to jump back to the old UI/UX and slowly integrate your users before a full on switch.

• zyliu
    zyliu Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
  • jerryr
    jerryr Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer
    edited January 2018

I would also like to express frustration with how Expensify has handled the rollout of these new features. Without warning or explanation, the Receipts tab first disappeared. You didn't even bother to use your "Product Changes" alert feature to notify us of the removal of the Receipts tab and explain the new intended workflow. I, along with others, assumed it was a bug and contacted support. And now there's a major UI overhaul that arrived without warning.

On top of this, the site's performance continues to be quite poor--I experience delays on almost every other click. And when I'm not experiencing delays, I'm running into bugs. For example, after the UI overhaul, the name on my account mysteriously changed to a name that belongs to no one in our organization. And we're now getting the option to process reimbursements on reports that have no reimbursable expenses. Instead of playing with the UI, I'd really urge you to focus on your software quality first. Then, create a workflow to notify all users of major product changes and give everyone the option of "opting-in" to try out radically new UIs before forcing all of your users to upgrade to them (almost every enterprise-oriented app I've used does this--including TriNet, which is not exactly a bastion of usability and innovation). You're no longer a scrappy little startup; if you expect to serve enterprise customers, you need to provide better stability and predictability.

• Dharrier
    Dharrier Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Agree with Brian. Need the advanced options back. This sorting is needed for end of year processing and comparison reports

• shift_ken
    shift_ken Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

Anyone running into the issue where changing categories on this new platform is extremely slow? It's taking me almost 1 minute to change a category on an expense report.

• Sheena Trepanier

Hello @Lesley, welcome to the discussion and happy to help! If you open the Advanced Search tool on the Expenses page, you should be able to filter the visible expenses by status (ex: Open, Processing, Approved) and limit the expenses you have to look at. You can even filter between imported and manually created!

Also in Advanced Search is a drop down for card or cash expenses.

I hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.