Expensify.org is accepting proposals for new campaigns. Submit yours here by May 15th to receive up to $100,000 in funding for campaigns dismantling injustice related to: Climate Justice, Food Security, Housing Equity, Reentry Services, and Youth Advocacy.
Step-by-step guide to submitting your Expensify.org/hunger report for reimbursement
UPDATE June 2020:
[NEW] We're no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. Thanks for your understanding!
The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that has been submitted per our instructions.
If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please direct them to Expensify.org/donate.
How it works
- Purchase food as normal with your SNAP card and save the receipt.
- Download Expensify on iOS or Android, for free.
- SmartScan the receipt, which will tell us how much you paid and show that it was paid for with an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card.
- Double check your report is on the Expensify.org/hunger policy.
- Set up your bank account to receive the funds
- Submit it to [email protected] or let our system automatically do it later that night.
- So long as we have funds available, we will reimburse up to $50 per family (one time), the very next day.
Now that you have an overview of how it works, you can find more in-depth instructions and visual examples below. If you get stuck at any point, please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with your questions!
Creating the expense
- After you download the mobile app, use it to take a picture of your receipt with a clear total showing the amount paid with your SNAP benefits.
- SmartScan will create an expense for you with the merchant, date and amount already filled in. Don't forget to edit the total to be $50 if your EBT purchase is greater than $50! If your purchase is less than $50, you will be reimbursed that amount and can submit another reimbursement with your next purchase to total $50.
- Fill out the Category, Class and Description fields, then save the expense.
- Scheduled Submit will create a report for you and place the expense on the report automatically.
- Next, Scheduled Submit will submit the report for you at the end of the day.
Submitting the report
As long as your expense matches the example above, our automated system will submit the report for you and our team will review it. Once reviewed we will reimburse up to $50 to your bank account, once per family.
- Scheduled Submit will place the expense on a report for you.
- Check to make sure the report total is $50 or less and the policy is the Hunger policy.
- Notice the banner at the top of the report, it reminds you that it will be submitted automatically. If the banner says anything else, take the action mentioned!
Sharing with others in need
Expensify.org's mission is to empower communities to help each other and increase everyday generocity, thank you for partnering with us and donating to future campaigns when you're able.