List of vendors when using QuickBooks Desktop

LisaVos
LisaVos Expensify Customer Posts: 59 Expensify Newcomer
edited March 2020 in Advanced Admin Controls

Using QuickBooks Desktop and Expensify, where can I see the list of Vendors in Expensify? I want to be sure all the vendors listed in Expensify sync with the Vendor list in the QBD file. Please advise how to sync the Vendor lists. Thank you.

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

Hi @LisaVos - great question! If you navigate to your Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections tab, and view the Configuration for QBD, you can switch your export method for non-reimbursables to Vendor Bill, enable Default Vendor, and then view the vendors in a dropdown list. (Below)

At this time it's the only way to view the vendors we've imported, sorry about that!

• LisaVos
    LisaVos Expensify Customer Posts: 59 Expensify Newcomer

Thank you Sheena! I don't think I want to switch anything. These are payments made with a debit card that are coming directly out of our checking account. When they transactions sync to the "credit" card account ( I set up a Credit Card account in the Chart of Accounts so the transactions would sync over), I want them to match to the correct vendor name where the purchase was made. We have certainly monthly charges where this matched up beautifully, but we recently made a purchase at Costco and instead of matching to the Vendor Costco, it when to Misc. How can I get the vendor names to match our existing Vendors for charges made with our "credit card?"

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

Hi @LisaVos, thanks for clarifying! In order to match the vendor in QB, the expense needs to have an exact match to the vendor name used in QB.

For example, if you have a vendor in QB for Home Depot, but the expense exports with the merchant name "Home Depot Store #856", the credit card misc vendor will be used.

Right now the best way to deal with this is to have employees create Expense Rules in their Settings > Account > Expense Rules tab that automatically change common merchant names to match the vendor in QB.

Expense rules are set up at the account level, so it's not possible to set them up in the policy for all policy members at once. You can vote in favor of this feature request in our Ideas category here.

It's easiest to create the expense rules as the common merchant imports from the credit card. For example, if I received an expense with the merchant name "Bluestone Lane - 227", I could create a rule as I'm updating the expense so that all future "Bluestone Lane - 227" expenses automatically rename to "Bluestone Lane" my vendor in QB. (below)

Cheers!

• sundharsg
    sundharsg Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Hello Sheena,

Is there a way to pull in a list of vendors using your rest APIs? Can you point me to references for the same? We would like to pull in the list of vendors and their associated transactions. Thanks in advance.

-Sundharsg