Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

Allow policy setup to automatically split reimburse/non reimburse to diff reports.

StephanieL789StephanieL789 Expensify Customer Posts: 29 Expensify Admirer
We have a situation where managers are approving expenses and they are generally not sticklers for details.  So often times the accounting department will need to make changes after the fact, the most common change is changing categories/tags and adding additional documentation.  In a physical filing system, you can add more paper to the file at any time.  The same with attachments in our accounting system.  However, in expensify if an item on a report in the reimbursed status needs additional documentation, too bad.  Once it is approved, that part is unchangable.  Now I can still change category/tag, but I can not add receipts.  Now as annoying as this is... it is even more annoying when you have a 15000 expense report that contains a $10.00 reimbursement and the other $14,990 are also unchangable.  It means this decision to refuse to allow additional documentation to be added to reimbursable items is affecting a lot more than reimbursable items.  

As a partial solution, i would like to see an option either in policy setup or in domain setup that would allow an admin to specify that credit card feed reports can't be combined with reimbursable items in the same report.

Allowing an option in domain or policy  setup that would force reports to split between reimbursed items only on one and non reimbursed on the other. If such an option existed, then this finalized state would only affect actual reimbursed items.

3 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Amanda DeWittAmanda DeWitt Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 67 Expensify Team
    Hey @StephanieL789

It sounds like you may be referring to the recent restriction with unapproving reports after it has been exported to an accounting integration. We've actually rolled back this change for users that will not be using continuous reconciliation with QuickBooks Online so you should be able to go back in and edit these reports after the fact.

• StephanieL789StephanieL789 Expensify Customer Posts: 29 Expensify Admirer
    Perhaps I didn't explain it well. I don't think it has anything to do with those recent changes although they may have exacerbated the problem. What I am saying is I don't want reports to contain some reimbursed items and some non reimbursed items  I want the option to not allow them on the same report. There are two things this would solve for me. 1) cause people to realize they mis checked or more likely missed checking the reimbursable box or if they do I can unapprove and easily mark the items reimbursable. 2) let me merge, split or add receipts to items that are correctly marked not reimbursable but on a report that is in the reimbursed state.(due to containing other reimbursible items)
  • Sonia LiapounovaSonia Liapounova Expensify Team Posts: 101 Expensify Team
    @StephanieL789

Two thoughts come to mind. First, a single expense can be rejected from a report by clicking Reject Expense on the expense submitted to you. When you reject an expense you can add a not as to why you're rejecting it so that the user can make the necessary changes.

Second thought is that if you have the company card expenses importing via Domain Control then you can have two policies, one for reimbursable expenses and one for non-reimbursable expenses imported from the company cards. Using the company card settings you can specify to which policy you'd like the company card expenses to be submitted to.

Then set up Domain Groups to restrict users to the reimbursable policy. This setup will make it so that the users can add out of pocket expenses only to reports on the policy to which they are restricted to while expenses from the company card will be automatically added to reports on the non-reimbursable policy.

Would either of these approaches work for you?
    Yes, I realize that I could reject individual expenses...if I was the one doing the approving , but alas I am coming along after the approving and reimbursing and trying to do the accounting for it.  The problem is that I can't correct errors in reports that are reimbursed status. If they are closed status then I can unapprove take control and correct.

We originally had multiple policies, but people made reports on the wrong  policy regularly and it was just a mess.
  • Maddy LewisMaddy Lewis Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 75 Expensify Team
    Hi @StephanieL789 - While there isn't a way (beyond what Sonia mentioned above) to separate reimbursable and non-reimbursable expenses on different reports, those expenses are always separated when on the same report. You will always see a "reimbursable total" and a "non-reimbursable" total at the top of the report, and you can sort expenses based on their reimbursable status. 

That said, Expensify likely won't be introducing anything in the future to keep these different expenses on different reports as we've already developed a way to separate them from within the same report. 

Next, if you're having to do a hefty amount of cleanup after a report is approved, it sounds like your clients' policy settings need to be adjusted. There are several policy settings put into place to ensure reimbursable/non-reimbursable expenses are marked as such and that reports go through multiple levels of auditing before approval.

At this point, I would suggest writing into Concierge with an example of a report (using the Report ID) that was approved with misinformation or didn't have all the necessary documents attached to it. Then, let Concierge know what your ideal setup/end goal is and my support team can walk you through how to reconfigure your clients' policies so that you don't keep running into this.

You can message Concierge in-app or at [email protected]

My ideal set up would be to allow a admin user to attach documents to a reimbursed report. when the reimbursed and non reimbursed are combined, it means I can not attach anything to the report, whether or not it is to a reimbursed item. Yes, things are being approved that shouldnt be, and user education would be nice. I am in the real world and I am never going to convince managers to look at that, so I am the gatekeeper of it. Occasionally, i come across more info that I wish I could attach (or merge)

The specific example I remember from recently is on Rpt ID:61553736 and the duplicate item on Rpt ID:61636183. They are the same item, but can't be merged because one was on a reimbursed report, so we just have to be aware it is a duplicate.

• Sonia LiapounovaSonia Liapounova Expensify Team Posts: 101 Expensify Team

@StephanieL789 It sounds like it might be a good option to add you as an approver in the workflow. This will mean that you will receive the reports before they are final approved and reimbursed which would allow you to reject expenses and add receipts to any expenses missing a receipt (you can drag and drop a file onto an expense that does not have a receipt photo or an eReceipt already attached).

Approval workflows can be adjusted from Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > People. More info on approval workflows can be found here.