Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
We’re no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. While we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please encourage them to enable Personal or Corporate Karma on their Expensify account.

Sync Categories as disabled -

MonkMonk Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Currently all categories from QB sync as enabled. If they would sync as disabled, it would cause minimal disadvantage for those desiring all enabled, since this can be accomplished with one click.

The issue with the current setup is that when filtering the desired end user categories to make it simple for the employees, it is never stable. Every sync can enter new enabled categories that your accounting team may have desired on their financial statements. These changes are rarely relevant to the end user and juts cause additional confusion.

1 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• Leslie RodriguezLeslie Rodriguez Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 38 Expensify Team

Hi @Monk !

Thanks for sharing this feedback. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. This is only true for QuickBooks Desktop. Direct integrations (such as Xero, NetSuite, Intacct or QuickBooks Online) have the ability to disable the import of newly created G/L accounts. This is due to QBD limitations, as a cloud based software is limited by what a desktop based software can do.
    2. With QBD, you will want to sync more often than not. I took a quick look at your account and can see that some policies have not been synced in two months. This becomes a problem over time, if the G/L has been modified but not brought up to date in Expensify. I recommend syncing more often to lessen the Expensify <> QBD discrepancies.
    3. The newly imported categories, while unsightly, should not prevent the employee from categorizing as they normally would.

Take a look at these tips and tricks and let me know if I can help with anything else. Cheers!

• MonkMonk Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer
    edited May 27
    1. Understood.
    2. Agree - that is why this concern is regularly annoying. :) The more I sync the more I need to verify the setup
    3. Of course. I am trying to keep it simple for the end user, and the more changes they see, the more potential for error and confusion. That is why I feel it would be simpler to sync categories but keep them disabled
  • Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Expensify Team Posts: 75 Expensify Team

This continues to be a very frustrating occurrence. I cant think of any rational reason why new categories/tags should sync as enabled. that literally means that each sync created user end bloat instead of allowing the administrator to set up the end user experience and add as needed. Many categories and accounts are totally inappropriate for the end user.

• Nicole MendoncaNicole Mendonca Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 73 Expensify Team

Hi @Monk! Appreciate the follow up here. We're still keeping this open to gauge interest from other customers.

Out of curiosity, how many categories do you create, and how often? How frequently are you having to manually sync, to then just disable non-applicable categories?

My accountant may create categories as needed. Most of them are not expense categories and certainly not relevant to the end user. I may now hove a liability account active for a new loan that is labeled and visible to the user. It isn't just how often, It is the fact that I have to constantly check since I cant know this.

• Nicole MendoncaNicole Mendonca Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 73 Expensify Team

You don't have to constantly check, seeing as you have to manually sync the policy in order to bring in new categories. You'd only need to audit your enabled categories when you sync the connection.

Obviously this is only when I sync. This is an unnecessary response that doesn't address the issue that this entire procedure is unnecessary and annoying.