We have a new American Express® Business Card connection, upgrade now!

Options
Stevie LaFortune
Stevie LaFortune Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 240 Expensify Team
edited September 2020 in Integrations and API

Great news -- as part of the ExpensifyApproved! Banks program, we've upgraded our American Express® Business Card integration with a new connection to provide an even more reliable connection for our users! The deadline to upgrade to the new integration is September 6th, 2020. To avoid disruption in service, please use the instructions outlined below on how to transition to the new connection.

This transition does not apply to American Express® Personal Card accounts. This is strictly related to American Express Business Card accounts.

If you have an American Express Corporate Card (@ Work® account), your expenses will still be imported via a direct file feed referred to as a GL1025, and no action is required on your end.

Important Step: Before deleting your old connection, please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to your Expensify account are added to reports and submitted. When you delete a Card, all unsubmitted expenses from that connection will be permanently removed from your account. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in your account.

If you are an individual importing your card statement for yourself:

(note: scroll down for company-wide import instructions)

We encourage you to upgrade to the new American Express Business connection before September 6th, 2020, to avoid any last-minute issues. Get this task checked off your to-do list!

To ensure your American Express Business transactions continue to import into Expensify, please complete the steps below by September 6th, 2020:

1. Submit all expenses under the current connection (before proceeding to step 2). If this step is not completed, imported expenses that have not been submitted on a report will no longer be in your account when the connection is removed.

2. From the Expensify website, navigate to

1. Settings > Account > Credit Card Import > Import Card/Bank
  2. Select the American Express US - Business (New and Upgraded) connection   (you will be redirected to American Express)

3. On the American Express website

1. Select the American Express Business Card(s) to be connected to Expensify.*
  2. Authorize American Express to share transaction data with & Return to Expensify (you must Return to Expensify. Do not close the browser. You will be redirected to Expensify).

4. From the Expensify website 

1.  Delete your old connection to avoid importing expenses twice. 

Something important to keep in mind: 

When the new connection is established, the past 90 days of transactions will import. Take note of the date of the most recent submitted transactions so you can easily select any duplicates from the new connection to delete.

Once successfully synced, make sure to delete the old American Express connection in your account to avoid importing duplicate expenses moving forward. 

Once again, before deleting your old connection, please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to your Expensify account are added to reports and submitted. When you delete a Card, all unsubmitted expenses from that integration will be permanently removed from your account. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in your account.

If you are an admin importing cards for your whole company:

The following steps can only be completed by a Domain Admin.

To ensure your American Express Business transactions continue to import into Expensify, please complete the steps below by September 6th, 2020:

1. Please have users submit all expenses under the current connection (before proceeding to step 2). If this step is not completed, imported expenses that have not been submitted on a report will no longer be available in users’ accounts when the connection is removed.

2. From the Expensify website navigate to

1. Settings > Domains > [Domain Name] > Company Cards > Import Card/Bank
  2. Select the American Express US - Business (New and Upgraded) connection (you will be redirected to American Express).
  3. When assigning the cards to your users set a Start Date to avoid importing old expenses.

3. On the American Express website 

1. Select the American Express Business Card(s) to be connected to Expensify.*
  2. Authorize American Express to share transaction data with & Return to Expensify (you must Return to Expensify. Do not close the browser. You will be redirected to Expensify).

4. From the Expensify website

1. Select the new connection and click "Assign New Cards"
  2. Make sure to select the correct transaction start date to avoid importing expenses twice. The transaction start date should be after any transactions you processed from the old connection.
  3. To remove the old connection, unassign each card under the "Depreciated" Amex connection to avoid importing expenses twice.

Tip: Make sure to start a new connection here as opposed to "Assign new cards" or selecting "Fix":  

Once the connection is set up, you can delete the old connection in Domains to avoid importing duplicate expenses moving forward. Then assign the individual Cards back to users accounts from the Company Cards page.

Something important to keep in mind: 

While assigning Cards, you can select the transaction start date for each assigned Card. You can select the past 90 days to import. Take note of the most recent imported transactions from the past connection; this will allow you to set the new date accordingly. If you have selected Corporate Liability on the Company Card Settings page, users are not able to delete any imported Card transactions, including those that are duplicates.

Just a quick tip here, before deleting your old connection, please make sure that all the transactions previously imported to users Expensify accounts are added to reports and submitted. When a Card is deleted, all unsubmitted expenses from that integration will be permanently re-moved from your account. Expenses that have been added to a submitted/closed report will remain in users' accounts.

Happy expensing!

Related links:

Comments

• sbenoit
    sbenoit Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

I don't see the (New and Updated) option. Is this not live yet?

• Nicole Trepanier
    Nicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 498 Expensify Team
    Options

@sbenoit It is live. Can you send a screenshot of what you see in your options? Is this under company cards or are you adding it via your account settings?

• Katie Oswalt
    Katie Oswalt Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 170 Expensify Team
    Options

@sbenoit You will want to start typing "American" to search and then scroll down to see it in your list.

• Jessie78
    Jessie78 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Options

Can someone please help regarding step one; 1. Please have users submit all expenses under the current connection (before proceeding to step 2).

We have numerous expenses coming in daily from AMEX. Can I have all expenses on a report and submitted through 07/31/20 and then select the the expenses between 08/01/20 and today to re-import? There would not be duplicates correct? If the instructions state that anything already in the users feed is deleted because it wasn't reported or submitted then it would be deleted; correct? And I could start the import as of 08/01?

• Maddy Lewis
    Maddy Lewis Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 120 Expensify Team
    Options

@Jessie78 - Yep! As long as your employees have submitted all their expenses from the previous feed up until 7/31, you should be good. You'll just want to select a transaction start date for the new feed of 8/1. That will ensure that no transactions prior to 8/1 will import from the newly connected feed.

• Kamil
    Kamil Expensify Customer Posts: 3
    edited August 2020
    Options
  • billyhad
    billyhad Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    edited August 2020
    Options

This is all nice and dandy but right now I'm having a major headache on my hands because of this.

Apparently, if you're an account manager on your company's Amex Business account, you cannot link Amex to Expensify. Only the primary account holder can do so. In our case, that would be the company's CEO. It does not make any sense to me that we have to go to our CEO and ask him to do this - it's the reason why he has a CFO, Controller, Treasurer and their teams to handle things like this and it's not like he doesn't have more important things to do. My only other alternative is to ask him for his username and password at Amex 🤦‍♂️.

I am beyond frustrated with this whole Expensify/Amex debacle the last couple of months and might as well succumb to our German parent company's pressure to adopt the services of SpenDesk or DataBasics so that we're all on a single platform which I had been resisting for a long time.

• sbenoit
    Options

We have the same problem....our Director of Operations isn't the primary cardholder and cannot enable this for our users. Our company is smaller, but the fact that i would have to bug my CEO to do this is extremely cumbersome and quite frankly, seems to be a half baked solution to one of the biggest corporate card providers in the US.

• Katie Oswalt
    Katie Oswalt Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 170 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @billyhad and @sbenoit , we completely understand your frustrations here. It is correct that the AAM is not able to connect the cards and the user with the Primary role will need to do so. This is a limitation that is not on our end, but from Amex and they are aware of this issue. I wish there was more that we could do, but we will absolutely make sure to keep you updated should there be any changes.

• mbarrientos
    mbarrientos Expensify Customer Posts: 6
    Options

I understand from the post that the un-submitted transactions will be lost when the feed breaks. What will happen to the receipts people have forwarded to expensify which have been auto matched to those charges? Will they disappear permanently or will they still live in the "Attach Receipt to Expense" view?

And can you also confirm that this whole update still applies when you use Domain Control?

• LaurenR_Expensify
    LaurenR_Expensify Expensify Team Posts: 106 Expensify Team
    Options

@mbarrientos:

What will happen to the receipts people have forwarded to expensify which have been auto matched to those charges? Will they disappear permanently or will they still live in the "Attach Receipt to Expense" view?

Correct. The receipts will be released back to your unattached receipts view.

And can you also confirm that this whole update still applies when you use Domain Control?

Yes, if you scroll up to the original post you will see Company Card Import instructions.

• SuzanneK
    SuzanneK Expensify Customer Posts: 33 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

Ya. so. this didn't work. It ws working before I did this. Now no expenses are coming in from any of the cards. Any one else having this issue?

• Matt Moore
    Matt Moore Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 132 Expensify Team
    Options

Hey @SuzanneK the new feed is operational so it sounds like we need to dig into your case some more.

Could you chat to us via concierge@expensify.com or by opening the chat bubble in your account?

Thanks!

• SuzanneK
    SuzanneK Expensify Customer Posts: 33 Expensify Newcomer
    Options
  • Chris_Is_In_SoCal
    Chris_Is_In_SoCal Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

I tried to do this, and here's what it said: "We're Sorry

Your Card is not eligible to link with your Expensify account. For more information, please call the number on the back of your Card. You are now leaving American Express and returning to Expensify, where all use is governed by Expensify's terms and conditions and subject to its privacy and security policies and practices."

• Christina Dobryzynski
    Christina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 267 Expensify Team
    Options

Thanks for reaching out in the Expensify Community,  @Chris_Is_In_SoCal ! That error is coming from Amex. I recommend reaching out to Amex and inquiring about why you are receiving that message (I've never actually heard from a customer about what the error is about on the Amex side).

Please feel free to reach out if we can help with anything else!

• DianeLloyd400
    DianeLloyd400 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

I have been trying to get this set up for the last month and I continue to receive the same message Your Card is not eligible to link with your Expensify Account. This is a corporate card and my american express login works fine.

• Sophie_Pinto
    Sophie_Pinto Expensify Customer, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 133 Expensify Team
    Options

HI @DianeLloyd400 - have you written into Concierge and Amex to get your issue diagnosed? See Christina's comment that:

That error is coming from Amex. I recommend reaching out to Amex and inquiring about why you are receiving that message 

Let us know how you get on!

• fred833
    fred833 Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

Looking for some help to clarify if this upgraded connection supports connection to two Amex accounts at the same time. We have two Amex company cards - each with several sub-cards underneath them.

Expensify Concierge told me that this is possible :

"Yes! Okay, so it will all be on the same connection however American Express are the only bank we support multiple logins for the same connection for. What this essentially means is you should go through the Import/Assign flow with the first set of credentials. Once those cards are assigned out, you can refresh the page and choose "Assign New Cards" again - but this time put in the other credentials. The second set of cards will show and you can assign them too without invalidating the first set. Simply go back and forth when assigning cards from on to the other."

However, I also got this message on Expensify when it asked me to refresh the credentials. "This connection only supports a single login at a time. To prevent assigned cards from disconnecting, please log in with the same credentials used during the initial card assignment."

So, are multiple logins supported OR will logging into a 2nd one cause the other cards to be disconnected?

• Karisa Latta
    Karisa Latta Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 147 Expensify Team
    Options

Hey @fred833 !

Sorry for the confusion there.

From our AmEx Troubleshooting page:

I have multiple card programs, each with different credentials - this says it only supports one login. How can I add the other cards?

• If you have multiple card programs with different credentials, you will need to have another Domain Admin account add each card program from their own account.
    • Once all Domain Admins have connected and assigned the cards, all cards will be listed under one American Express (New and Upgraded) list in the Domain Company Card page.

Do you have another person set as a Domain Admin who can help you get your accounts connected?

• Elise_Byron
    Elise_Byron Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

Hi @Karisa Latta,

We attempted the above and are still unable to get one of our card programs to appear.

What are the next steps? I did not see further information on the troubleshooting page.

• KP_F45
    KP_F45 Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

THIS BLOWS!!! IT WORKED FINE BEFORE!!!

FIX IT OR LOSE US.

THANK YOU.

• KP_F45
    KP_F45 Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

No one likes this 'NEW & IMPROVED' must update every month thing.

I mean ... come on!!!!!!

• Jason Li
    Jason Li Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 229 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @KP_F45 - I'm sorry to hear you've got some issues with the new Amex connection. I'd recommend writing into concierge@expensify.com, and we can look into your Account Settings and help you troubleshoot further. Thanks!

• sbenoit
    Options

Once we had the actual owner of the card account (our CEO) log in and authorize the API connection, everything is working fine. This is not an Expensify problem, it is AMEX and complains should be directed towards them in my opinion.

• Toulousian
    Toulousian Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

I have been trying to get my corp amex card to import for the last 2 weeks.

I have not used expensify for expenses since covid started, so I missed the September 6th date and did not do anything.

Sometimes it will hang or not continue, and sometimes it gets all the way to the end and here is the screen shot

Can anyone tell me if this is still an Amex problem or not ??

Because I did not update this before the September deadline, nothing is mentioned what happens or what you should do. Is this a problem because I did not update before September ??

I cannot find any way to admin the bank API connect to Expensify even though I have access to the online account.

Also a clarification that I am using the personal credit card import and then selecting US Business American Express new and updated for the import.

I really used this feature of automatically adding all my corp amex expenses and I have lots of folks at my company that are awaiting my results as well.

• Sasha Kluger
    Sasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 126 Expensify Team
    Options

@sbenoit - Thanks for the post. The connection only works with the primary cardmember's login details, it won't work if you connect as an Authorized Account Manager, which is likely why it worked when the CEO connected.

@Toulousian - For corporate cards, I strongly recommend trying to use the company card connection in the Domain section of Expensify. It should be fine that you missed the Sept 6 deadline, the only thing you might not be able to do is that you may not be able to import all historical transactions. Please go through this help doc for instructions on how to switch to the new connection, and feel free to reach out to Concierge if you need account-specific help.

• Toulousian
    Toulousian Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

Sasha,

thanks for the quick reply. I have always managed the account myself and I don't believe we have any kind of Domain admin. The CEO of my company has never had anything to do with my corporate card import with expensify.

I can logon to the corp amex card online and it shows all my charges and what is due, I just don't have to pay the account so I don't believe I am logging on as any kind of Authorized Account Manager.

This has always worked in the past and even needing an update sometimes, but it always brought back all my pending expenses.

This is the first time that I cannot get the card back online, so I am hoping the changes made on Sept 6 did not mess things up.

• Lauren Schurr
    Lauren Schurr Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 137 Expensify Team
    Options

Apologies for any confusion @Toulousian - the bit about the CEO and AAM was for another user. If you're still having trouble connecting, please send a message to Concierge from within your account so that we can troubleshoot directly!

• JRogers
    JRogers Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Options

I've also been having the same issue as above since July 2020. I now have all the cards brought in (Chase, Capital One, 2 different AMEX accounts). We also have 3 separate domains set up but I have to go in and click "Fix card" daily on 1 of the 4 credit card accounts linked above. I have started a chat but it takes a while for a response.