Transaction import from Wells Fargo paused. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Merchant List == Accounting Vendor List

smoodosmoodo Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Right now, Expensify helps users make wild ass guesses for the Merchant Name and create more work for accountants. The software does not even present the vendor list via the connection to the accounting system. The end result is that 99% of expenses end up going to "Credit Card Misc." unless an accountant comes behind and codes all of them to an exact match in the accounting system. This wastes almost as much time as having users submit on paper.

The solution would be to lock Expensify's Merchant suggestion list to the exact list in the accounting package customers are using. If there is not a match, there should be a report for the accountant that allows them to see each report item whose vendor does not have a match and they can add it so it can be classified in the future.

0 votes

Understanding the Issue · Last Updated

Comments

• Sasha KlugerSasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 95 Expensify Team

Hi @smoodo, thanks for posting this idea! Just to make sure I understand your idea, it sounds like you would want to create a new vendor record in your accounting system for every merchant name, is that right?

In the past, a large reason why we haven't created vendor records for each new merchant automatically is because the same merchant might have many different variations on receipts or when imported from a credit card (ex. Starbucks may show up as "Starbucks", "Starbucks Brooklyn", "Starbucks #1234"). If we automatically created a new vendor record in your accounting system for each unique merchant name, then your vendor list would become quite large.

With that in mind, do you still think that this sort of report would be useful? Thanks!

• smoodosmoodo Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

The variation coming in from a vendor will vary. What I am suggesting is not providing the end users (spenders) with flexibility to write anything they want. I would prefer to let the accounting system provide the recommendations so they can pick correctly.

If they cannot find a vendor in the list, perhaps they can check a box and type in the name that represents the company. I would want to see a list of all the 'new vendor requests' to decide what vendor entry to create in the accounting system.

Example:

Feed comes in

Amzn 0973479397

AMZN 377938497

Amazon.com

Amazon Web Services

-------

In reality all are "Amazon" a single vendor. I want the user to have ONLY "Amazon" in the list followed by other vendor names in the accounting system that are already set up as vendors. Currently, your system suggests all sorts of names for Amazon.

• Sasha KlugerSasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 95 Expensify Team

Thanks for your response. I'd like to clarify one thing - you said:

In reality all are "Amazon" a single vendor. I want the user to have ONLY "Amazon" in the list followed by other vendor names in the accounting system that are already set up as vendors. Currently, your system suggests all sorts of names for Amazon.

Expensify doesn't suggest those names - we use whatever merchant name is sent to us from the credit card transaction, or if there is a receipt, we'll use the merchant name from the receipt.

The main point is, whatever you are using, it is not from the accounting system. If an end user uses your suggestion; the expense goes to "Credit Card Misc" and we have more work to do.

If you wanted to do some smart AI thing; then try to match up with the name that exists in the accounting system; otherwise just present the vendor list from the accounting system.

Also.. It would be helpful to continue to show the original merchant line that came in.

LinkedIn, for example uses those digits after their name to represent an order number, but to match a Vendor in our system we have to type "LinkedIn"; which means we lose details.

Thanks for clarifying! If other customers find this idea useful and upvote it, we can definitely consider it in the future.

Thanks. I noticed the democracy is a bit broken here with a popular idea you suggested to me that was proposed January of 2018 getting zero traction.

Appreciate the feedback. The popularity of an Idea is just one consideration in the holistic process we use to determine whether a solution should be developed. Expensify's product roadmap is also determined by a number of other factors.

We have turned a number of popular customer ideas into feature, including multiple mileage rates, CSV Upload for company cards, and the ability to duplicate expenses.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 749 Expensify Team

Hi @smoodo that Idea is very much on the radar! That Idea by no means has 'zero traction'. We just don't update the status of an Idea until it is very definitely in the 'Design' phase! Any and all votes added to an Idea will just help strengthen the business case that the Expensify Ideas team build internally.