Offsetting Personal expenses on a Corporate credit card

davidmd
davidmd Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
edited August 2018 in Day to Day

Our users have corporate credit cards which we assign through Domain Control. Since these cards get paid using company funds, the transactions are never reimbursable to the user; however, sometimes cardholders make personal charges on the account that need to be reimbursed to the company. I would like to know if there is any functionality that would allow the user to mark the transactions as “personal” such that they net against the reimbursable total of out-of-pocket expenses on the report. Currently we designate a separate Expensify category “Employee A/R” for these transactions but this is not a great solution since it allows the employee to get reimbursed for their OOP expenses without collecting for the amount they owe for the CC charges.

Best Answer

• Leslie Rodriguez
    Leslie Rodriguez Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 51 Expensify Team
    edited June 2018 Answer ✓

Hi @Davidmd ! I see that you would like a way to get your company reimbursed for personal expenses that your users may have purchased with their company cards. For a situation like yours (where you have both reimbursable and non-reimbursable on the same policy) the best solution would be to have your users create a negative purchase for the same dollar amount of the personal transaction.

This would allow you to import the correct charge (which is necessary for reconciliation) while also allowing for both you and the user to track and repay the personal charge.

To create an expense that shows a negative amount, you can either enter a negative sign "-" or add parentheses around the amount.
    For example, if you purchased an item for $5.00 and then returned it, the purchase would show as $5.00 but the returned amount would be recorded as ($5.00) or -$5.00.

I hope this helps answer your question, please let me know if you need anything else.

(I must say, for this solution to be viable, a policy must have reimbursable expenses and the negative expense must be placed on a report with a net positive amount.)

Answers