Expense Rules

mgarrett
mgarrett Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

Anyone know an easy way to get the Credit Card name assigned to the tag on import/smartscan? There does not appear to be a way to add a rule for this.

Also, is there a way to add tags in the email on a receipt sent to SmartScan to add detail. I was thinking being able to add key:value pairs like:

{reportName::My report}

{reimbursable::No}

{Description::Dinner with sales team}

as ways to override rules that might be applied or to add them to expenses that would not be covered by rules.

TIA,

Mick

Answers

• Conor Pendergrast
    Conor Pendergrast Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 175 Expensify Team

Hey @mgarrett good to hear from you! What do you mean by "get the Credit Card name assigned to the tag"? Is that a specific tag that you've added to your account?

There isn't a way to add extra details to a receipt forwarded to receipts@expensify.com at the moment, no. I tend to use the mobile app most of the time, and snap a picture of the receipt which also includes adding any extra details at that point!

• mgarrett

Thanks Conor. Yes, I have added custom tags and wanted to be able to add them. I agree, I use the mobile app a lot but was trying to automate regular expenses that come in via email receipts. Was going to organize an automation in gmail that filters certain messages and then forwards them to Expensify automatically so was hoping to have a way to add details to the email forward to flesh out the automation.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

• Conor Pendergrast
    Conor Pendergrast Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 175 Expensify Team

Ah, great! So, if you use Expense Rules, you'll be able to set a tag to be applied to expenses (either per-merchant, or using the . period you can apply to all expenses).

Unless something has changed in Gmail, you won't be able to set up a filter and auto-forward receipts over to receipts@expensify.com, as you won't be able to pass their validation check to see that you have access to that email address! Sorry to be the one to mention it!

• mgarrett

Ah, well that's a bummer. I guess the other possibility is to access gmail via a script extract the data and then hit the expensify API to insert the data but that just seems like it would be doing what SmartScan should be doing anyway so it seems a lot of duplicated effort.

Another area that has always been a pebble in my shoe has been more sophisticated pattern matching (think regex - yes I'm a geek) on the merchant name and also being able to match on the credit card, again, thru a rule. It would be great if we could have compounded rules: If merchant contains this {pattern} and the credit card is {This One} then add it to a report named Personal. This would allow me to send expenses that are from, say, my wife's credit card over to her expense bucket and mine over to a different one.

What is the extent to which the internal fields that are available for macro expansion into the description for example?

Thanks,

Mick