American Express

eliog
eliog Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
We haven't been able to import AMEX transactions since November.  I've been working with Concierge for almost a month now.  

Today they basically told me that there is nothing they can do.   I can't be the only one who's having this issue, after all AMEX is fairly large bank.

I've tried reimporting cards as they mention but that also did not work.

I'm about to just give up on Expensify, if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it (including options other than Expensify).

Here's the message word for word:

Hi there, I checked your bank connection logs with my engineers, and it looks like the issue is due to changes at the bank. Unfortunately, since this is happening at the bank, there’s not much I can do to fix this on my end!

I recommend that you continue to try to import the card to Expensify or fix the connection over the next few days and weeks. Generally, these are temporary issues at the bank and should resolve themselves when the bank gets around to fixing them.

You might also want to consider switching to one of our recommended credit card connections. Here’s the list of cards/banks I recommend:

• Bank of America
  • Citibank
  • Capital One
  • Chase
  • Wells Fargo

These are the most reliable API connections available in Expensify.

If none of the options above work, you can import your card transactions via CSV spreadsheet import. Please find complete instructions here.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will be happy to help!

Answers

• BVCFOjn
    BVCFOjn Approved! Accountant Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    We are having the same issue. We work with various clients using Amex and this issue is occurring with 2 of them. We haven't been able to receive the Amex feed for those cards since November 6 despite being setup with Domain Control. Expensify support has also not given us a timeline for having this resolved only stating that it's a complicated issue. This is causing frustration for us and our clients as well!
  • eliog
    eliog Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    That's exactly when mine stopped as well (Nov 6th).  

I'm not sure what's so "complicated" since it has worked for years and continues to work with all our other providers.  It's like Amazon.com all of a sudden telling me "shipping your order is complicated, we're still trying to figure it out.  Maybe you should try moving to another state where it's easier for us." :confused:

• KelRobinson
    KelRobinson Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Have you found a solution to this? I'm still not able to connect and pull transactions from Amex!
  • Katie Oswalt
    Katie Oswalt Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 170 Expensify Team
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, the response that you received @eliog is the most detail we can provide at this time and provides the best troubleshooting steps that we are able to offer. While we are still working diligently on a new connection with Amex, there are many moving parts that take a lot of time to work out with their team as well. You can continue trying and you may have better luck since this may be temporary--I know this is not an ideal situation since you want to be able to depend on the consistency and reliability of that connection, but do note that we are working hard to get the new connection up and running as quickly as possible since this is one of our most popular connections. 

I would highly advise anyone using company cards to reach out to Amex to see if you qualify for a commercial card feed. Once set up, the data is fed directly to Expensify on the backend and will be much more reliable without the need to use login credentials to make the connection. 

If you are waiting on the new connection, please note that we will announce this as soon as it's ready. Additionally, if you have written into Concierge directly and we've let you know we will reach out to you once this is live, we will also directly contact you since your conversation is linked directly to our engineering ticket. 

Thank you for your patience with us while we get Amex back up and running smoothly!
  • anandgupta
    anandgupta Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I tried to import AMEX Business card expenses but the login did not work. Had tried about two months back too.

• Isabela Stisser
    Isabela Stisser Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 200 Expensify Team

Hey @anandgupta! We cannot troubleshoot credit card issues in the Community, please reach out to concierge@expensify.com and the team will be happy to help.

• aegpkg
    aegpkg Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I don't know about you all but Expensify concierge has been absolutely useless. The fact that they recommend importing my AMEX transactions via CSV and then sending them to my ERP system is absolutely ludicrous! If I have to go through the hassle of sorting and sending my transactions manually into expensify I might as well just do it all to the ERP and forgo Expensify all together! What a waste of time!

• Sasha Kluger
    Sasha Kluger Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 126 Expensify Team

Hi @aegpkg - I see that Concierge has responded to you yesterday with a follow up question about your issue. We can't troubleshoot card issues here in the community, but if you respond back on the conversation thread, we'll be happy to troubleshoot further there!

• Hogie
    Hogie Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
  • NKP
    NKP Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Has this issue been resolved? This has now consistently been happening since November. Seems kind of nuts to not have a solution in place for 8 months. It's not like we're using some no name credit card or bank. We're using corporate AMEX cards...

• Jason Li
    Jason Li Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 229 Expensify Team

@Hogie and @NKP - sorry to hear about your AMEX issues! As Sasha mentioned above, we prefer not to troubleshoot card issues on the Community (due to sensitive information/security) - would you mind writing in to us at concierge@expensify.com, and our team can assist further?

• NKP
    NKP Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Jason - I've written into the Concierge chat pretty much every month when I'm trying to close the books. I also just got a response (after aggressive follow-up over the last two days) that says there will not be a solution for another 3-4 weeks. When were you going to tell clients? There are threads on broken feeds for AMEX, Chase and Discover. How can you continue to stand by an claim that feeds are 100% operational?

• Caracj
    Caracj Expensify Customer Posts: 1

We are also having this issue. The answer I got from Expensify Concierge today is below and completely absurd. Basically - Sorry we can't make your reputable corporate card work (which all of your employees have already)... but why don't you upload a spreadsheet or try our Expensify card? It's the end of the month so we had no choice but to upload a csv just to get reports submitted. I'm sure that will cause a sync disaster when the other feed starts working again though.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There have been recent changes to the American Express site which have broken our connection. We have a new connection being actively built as we speak, but no ETA for go-live just yet.

In the meantime, here are a few workarounds!

• Business admins should check in with their AmEx rep to see if a GL1025 or @Work feed is available for their card program.
    • Personal cardholders and small business cardholders can switch to the American Express US - Personalconnection, which is still working well. Small business cardholders should change the card’s reimbursable setting when connecting.
    • Use Personal Card CSV or Company Card CSV Upload methods.
    • Consider signing up for the Expensify Card!

You can leave the old connection in place; however, new transactions will not continue to flow in via that connection. This will allow you to complete any current expense reporting you haven’t finished yet. Then, choose one of the options above to keep submitting your newer expenses until we can finish the new connection.

Note: Removing the old connection will cause any related unsubmitted transactions to also be removed.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Jason Li
    Jason Li Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 229 Expensify Team

Hi @Caracj - welcome to the Community! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the American Express connection! Our team are actually in the process of building a new American Express API, which will provide greater stability for users. Unfortunately, I can't offer any ETA on this, as we're waiting on American Express to finalise a few things on their end.

You state that you're using Corporate Cards, do you have any GL1025 feed details? If your company qualifies for a GL1025 feed, this is something that we can add to your domain, and the transactions will come from American Express directly.

• pcur
    pcur Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

My AMEX card has been linked to Expensify for 1.5 years and now it is not linking. Concierge gave me the same answer as other users above, which is not an acceptable solution. Could this issue be related to Expensify's launch of a new small business credit card?

• CloudLasso
    CloudLasso Expensify Customer Posts: 15 Expensify Newcomer

yada, yada, yada.....same here. They want me to import transactions through a spreadsheet!? What is this? 1990?

Whip those developers, business development managers, and whoever else into shape, and solve what ultimately must be a financial decision. If in fact it's an API issue related only to Expensify/AMEX technologies then the patients must be running the asylum.

• Matt Moore
    Matt Moore Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 132 Expensify Team

Hey @CloudLasso,

We released a new AmEx connection in July. Here's the post:

https://community.expensify.com/discussion/7245/we-have-a-new-american-express-business-card-connection-upgrade-now

As such, this thread is out of date.

Can you confirm that you've checked the thread out and are still having trouble? Thanks!

• CloudLasso
    CloudLasso Expensify Customer Posts: 15 Expensify Newcomer

Hi -

Thank you for your reply.

I have read the thread but I am using a UK Personal Amex. For some reason, on the 12th of September there was a successful automatic import, but then it stopped again.

???

I work with developers of cloud apps all the time and know that this problem is not technically difficult to fix.

What's going on? Customers without answers don't stay customers for long. And manual imports doesn't cut it in 2020, especially when automatic import is advertised as a benefit.

I look forward to your response.

• APpram
    APpram Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

We are still dealing with this problem. Expensify has not fixed it and it's been a year. We are now looking to leave Expensify.

• Alejandro Paz
    Alejandro Paz Expensify Team Posts: 87 Expensify Team
    Hi @APpram

Could you reach out to Concierge directly in-app to share a little bit more about what you're experiencing when attempting to use your Amex cards? That way we can see if you're still experiencing the same issue and see if there's anything that can be done here. Thanks!
  • APpram
    APpram Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Alejandro, I've been working with the Concierge for months. They know everything. They keep saying the team is working on it and that we should manually upload. Hundreds of expenses to manually upload? Isn't that what the software is supposed to do? Anyway, we've tried working with you guys and it's been a long time and now we need something that works for us. It's Amex business that you guys have this issue with, and that's the card we all use in the this company.

• Nicole Mendonca
    Nicole Mendonca Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 131 Expensify Team

@APpram thank you for that context. I just checked in with your most recent interaction with Concierge and looks like we were able to share with you the latest update. We'll keep you posted on next steps as soon as we have them. Thanks for sticking through with this!