Expensify Card doesn't work with Intacct Smart Rules

jwilliams
jwilliams Expensify Customer Posts: 13 Expensify Newcomer

I was looking forward to adopting the Expensify Card and using Continuous Reconciliation so that charges are posted automatically to Sage Intacct. But I learned that Continuous Reconciliation doesn't work if you have custom Intacct Smart Rules in place.

Now, the Expensify Card transactions would have to get posted to Intacct as credit card transactions and grouped together as a lump-sum at month-end (which is time-consuming to reconcile against the daily bank withdrawals).

Expensify - do you plan to fix this issue? The Expensify Card is not as appealing to Intacct users unless they can adopt Continuous Reconciliation!

Comments

• Christina Dobryzynski
    Christina Dobryzynski Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 267 Expensify Team

Welcome to the Expensify Community, @jwilliams!

Thank you for reaching out about this! Given the number of custom options with Sage Intacct Smart Rules, we cannot build continuous reconciliation that will be compatible with all the various custom rules in Sage Intacct.

The solution to use Continuous Reconciliation and Sage Intacct Smart Rules is to disable all of the Smart Rules in Sage Intacct, allow us to create the vendor accounts we need and switch them back on after. The details on this process are here.

I see you've also reached out to concierge@expensify.com with this question, which is great! Always feel free to reach out either in the Concierge chat or here with any questions!

• jwilliams

Thank you for the response, Christina!

The solution you proposed is problematic because some of the Sage Intacct Smart Rules are implemented via a Sage Intacct Package; therefore, they cannot easily be disabled and re-enabled. (On a related note, it's unclear whether we would need to disable those Smart Rules once or on a recurring basis.)

And lastly, it's not clear to me why Expensify needs to create vendor accounts in Sage Intacct. Is the "vendor" field included in the journal entry that's posted via Continuous Reconciliation? The article you provided does not articulate whether or not the "vendor" dimension is part of the journal entry posted by Expensify.

• Stevie LaFortune
    Stevie LaFortune Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 240 Expensify Team

@jwilliams The vendor is related to the email that submitted the report. It sounds like you can turn off the Intacct Smart Rules once so we can create the accounts needed, fix the smart rule requirement manually, then turn them on again and it should work. If there is another employee that hadn't submitted a report in the future, you would need to do this again, disabling the Smart Rules.

• jwilliams

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, most of the Sage Intacct Smart Rules are implemented via a Sage Intacct Package so they can't be disabled. (Theoretically, I could disable the underlying Package, but that would likely cause unintended problems in our ERP system.)

I still don't understand why the vendor accounts are necessary. Are you saying that the journal entries posted via Continuous Reconciliation are designed to list the report submitter as a "vendor"?

• Lauren Schurr
    Lauren Schurr Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 137 Expensify Team

To confirm, the accounts we're creating are only created once, so you could turn off Smart Rules, enable Continuous Reconciliation and then turn Smart Rules back on. Then moving forward you shouldn't see errors related to Smart Rules since we won't be trying to create these accounts again.

• jwilliams

As mentioned in my previous post, I can't disable the Sage Intacct Smart Rules without risking unintended problems in the ERP system.

And I still don't understand how the vendor accounts are being used by Expensify. Is the vendor dimension populated on the JE that's created by Expensify's Continuous Reconciliation feature?

• Lauren Schurr
    Lauren Schurr Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 137 Expensify Team

Hm, I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. To clarify, Continuous Reconciliation creates two GL accounts: "Expensify Clearing Account" and "Expensify Liability Account." We also create a credit card account called "expcardliabilityacct."

Could you clarify what you mean when you're referring to vendor creation?

• jwilliams

Thanks, Lauren. I was referring to Christina's comment (earlier in this thread): "The solution to use Continuous Reconciliation and Sage Intacct Smart Rules is to disable all of the Smart Rules in Sage Intacct, allow us to create the vendor accounts we need and switch them back on after."

• Lauren Schurr

Ah, ok! Sorry about any confusion! The accounts are GL accounts and one credit card account.

• jwilliams

Aah, got it.

So if I'm unable to disable the Intacct Smart Rules, could I simply create the GL accounts and credit card account manually and then begin using Continuous Reconciliation (despite the fact that the Intacct Smart Rules are still active)?

If that's a possibility, I'd be thrilled - because it would allow me to use Continuous Reconciliation with the Expensify Card. But I'd just need for Expensify to provide the specifics related to the gl accounts and credit card account that I need to create.

• Lauren Schurr

I've asked my engineers if this is something that can be done manually. Since there are many aspects that we create, there is no guarantee it would work correctly if you created these accounts yourself. When I hear from my team, I'll reach back out to you!

• Lauren Schurr

After checking in with my engineers, they've advised that the simplest way for you to reconcile your Expensify Card transactions is to actually disable Continuous Reconciliation. They've recommended that you simplify the entire process by just having one clearing account, no liability account and have all reports hit the clearing account. You would then need to manually move all Expensify Card withdrawals to the clearing account.

Otherwise, you could disable the Smart Limits package as we discussed earlier so the accounts could be automatically created for you.

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify!

• jwilliams

@Lauren Schurr I appreciate you speaking with the engineers. Unfortunately, this solution seems to require that we post manual JE's each month to reclass each Expensify Card transaction from one account to another. That's significantly more time-consuming than our current process with a different credit card.

I hope Expensify will consider fixing this bug in the future. It's the reason we won't be adopting the Expensify Card as an organization, and I'm sure other Sage Intacct customers are in the same boat.

• Lauren Schurr

Thanks for the feedback, @jwilliams - Just to make sure we're on the same page, the Smart Rules are the issue here. Unfortunately, that isn't something that Expensify can fix and we haven't heard about issues removing Smart Rules that are causing this trouble for other Sage users. One suggestion from my team - are you able to create a Smart Rule that automatically moves funds from one account to another to save you this manual work?

• jwilliams

@Lauren Schurr No, it's not possible to use Smart Rules to post journal entries in that manner.

• Lauren Schurr

Thanks for confirming! I'm taking your feedback back to my engineers and will be sure to reach out to you if I have any other workarounds or ideas to get this working.