Hotel Bill Expense Splitting

BruceMW
BruceMW Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I'm not sure how to handle this but I recently stayed at a hotel and charged some meal to my room. Normally, I'd just split the expenses and identify them as meals and be done with it, but our company policy states I need to attach a separate, itemized receipt for meals. I have the receipts, but can't identify how (if at all) to attach a receipt to this type of expense. Hopefully that makes sense.

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hello @BruceMW - welcome to the community. I'm happy to help with this, but have just a couple questions.

1. Have you already split the expense?
    2. Is the itemized receipt in your email, on your computer, or do you have a hard copy?
    3. If you've already split the expense, is the portion without the receipt still in an Unreported or Open (unsubmitted) state?

Thanks!

• BruceMW
    BruceMW Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

So sorry for the delay. I've not split the expense yet since I wasn't certain that was the appropriate action. I have a hard copy (scanned and submitted to Expensify) of my meal, the total of which is on my hotel bill. It seems like I should subtract out the meal expenses from my hotel bill and then submit the itemized meal expenses separately. That may be simplest and make the most sense.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hello @BruceMW, thanks for getting back to me. If you split the expense, you'll be able to split out each meal expense from the total bill. I'd recommend leaving a comment on each piece to help illustrate what each expense is for.

Each split will be created with the receipt attached to each portion. I created a little .gif of that process below, that I hope helps.

recordit.co/hjsAHBiNju