Export expenses into NetSuite to show merchant name

robbix
robbix Expensify Customer Posts: 3

We recently deployed NetSuite and our expenses from Expensify are coming in as a journal entry with the merchant name in memo field, rather than in the Name field in the expense category. Can this be changed to get the merchant name to display without clicking into each journal entry?

Best Answers

• tylerzoll
    tylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 430 Expensify Champion
    Answer ✓

@robbix, The issue is that there would certainly be mismatches between vendors that a credit card was used for vs. vendors in your vendor list. The only way to change this would be a script that looks up the merchant name based off of the memo that is imported from Expensify.

• Karisa Latta
    Karisa Latta Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 147 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hey @robbix !

Wow, @tylerzoll is spot on here (thank you Tyler!). Because the merchant names can vary wildly (think Starbucks versus Starbucks #4567 and Starbucks #9895), we leave the merchant names in the memo field only. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience here.

If you really need things to line up, I suggest having policy users utilize Expense Rules (to control merchant name variations) and replace the automated NetSuite export connection with the Export Custom Reports method instead (to control which field posts to the vendor field in NetSuite). This is not a best practice at all and we don't prefer it. However, it will help you if you are in dire need.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have more questions.

• tylerzoll
    tylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 430 Expensify Champion
    Answer ✓

I just posted this a day or two ago, but essentially it works the same way: https://community.expensify.com/discussion/3412/convert-expensify-expenses-to-items-in-netsuite#latest

You could have a script run and search your vendor list for the first word or two in your vendor list. For example, you could have it search for "Starbucks" then if there is a match, then you could retain it, but if there is not a match, leave it blank.

Just to be clear, this is NetSuite scripting, nothing inside of Expensify. I don't see a reason to do the custom export if you have the NetSuite script running on all of the records imported from Expensify.

If there were policy level expense rules, I would say that rules would be very helpful, but unfortunately, all rules are individual rules.

Answers