Submit expense claim to multiple approver

Options
SS123
SS123 Expensify Customer Posts: 6

Hello, can I check if Expensify has updated the functions such that one user can submit to multiple people yet? If so, could you explain how to set it up?

If Expensify has not, do you have any recommendations on how we should go about doing so?

Below is an example of 2 employees from different departments submitting to the SAME manager but different approver:

Employee A -> Manager 1 -> Approval A

Employee B -> Manager 1 -> Approval B

Answers

• Conor Pendergrast
    Conor Pendergrast Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 175 Expensify Team
    Options

Hey @SS123, thanks for posting! A little extra context might be helpful: what is the association between Employee A and Approval A (versus Employee B and Approval B).

There are ways of setting this up, but in general simplifying your approach may get you a better experience! So, understanding a little more will be helpful here. Thanks!

• SS123
    Options

Hey Conor!

Thanks for the prompt response.

Employee A works for Approval A, ie Approval A is the direct manager of employee A. The same goes for employee B & approval B. Both employee A & B submit their expense claims to Manager 1 who oversees office matters before submitting to the respective approval A & B.

Hope the above clarifies your query.

Thank you.

• Zany Renney
    Zany Renney Approved! Accountant Posts: 171 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi there!

It definitely sounds like you'll need an Advanced Approval workflow. You can read more about the Ins and Outs of this here.

In your example above, for Approval A or Approval B, should the report be routed to different people because of the report totalling different amounts or is it related to something else?

If yes - it might be worth also looking into Setting Approval Limits: here.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• SS123
    Options

Hey Conor,

I believe the current workflow is not under the Advanced Approval workflow for my company, but may I know how I can check this in Expensify? May I also know the additional fee per headcount for the add-on of Advanced Approval workflow to my current subscription plan?

The report is routed to different people as they are from different departments and thus for the respective direct manager to approve.

Other than getting the Advanced Approval workflow, are there other options available that you can recommend to me?

Thank you.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @SS123 you can see this under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > People if you are on a Control policy. And I can see that you are, so there is no extra charge! This is definitely the kind of workflow to use.

• SS123
    Options

Hello Rachael,

I see. Could you kindly guide me on how I should set up such that Manager 1 can submit to both Approval A and Approval B?

Employee A -> Manager 1 -> Approval A

Employee B -> Manager 1 -> Approval B

Thank you.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @SS123 can you write in to Concierge - either via email to concierge@expensify.com or by clicking the blue chat bubble in your Expensify account, and tell us what you're wanting to do and with actual user emails? I think we're past what we can achieve in a public forum and we need to talk in real user terms!!

My team and I can help you from there!

• SS123
    Options

Hello Rachael,

Well noted, will drop an email shortly.

Thank you for answering my queries.

• Mervda
    Mervda Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

It is too bad this was redirect to the Concierge, I was interested in seeing the answer.

I am having similar questions, I have an approver (the persons direct report) who is the "real" approver of the expense, I also want finance to do the compliance stuff that doesn't relate to busines - like making sure the coding/tag is correct, the receipt isn't blurry, the description is sufficient. Then when they are happy, they do the final admin approval, download the CSV file and upload it into Dynamics BC365.

I attempted to go Employee - Direct Manager - then all the Managers go to Finance. (whereas the example above went to finance first I am thinking before it went to the manager approve).

I am concerned that I set my finance as an auditor, but I actually need them to be an approve(er).

• Corinne Ofstad
    Corinne Ofstad Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 21 Expensify Team
    Options

@Mervda We offer Advanced Approval which you can review over here, but if you'd like to discuss your specific use case, reaching out to Concierge can help us work with you to make your approval process as efficient as possible.

• Mervda
    Mervda Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

As feedback to the communicty here, to help people. This is what we are doing to acheive an approval matrix of Many Employees - submit to 1 person in accounting for approval - to going to many different bosses (depending on the employee) for approval - then getting sent back to 1 person in accounting for download and upload into the accounting system.

We set up the accountant as the approver for every Category. This means all submissions go to the accountant. Once they give their approval, it goes to the employee's boss for approval (the employee submit to). The Bosses, have the forward set to accounting (now called approval).

The reason why didn't want to go from Employee to Boss to the 1 accountant is because the Boss approves the expense, accounting deals with cleanup (incorrect coding, blury receipt, poor description) and we want them reject expenses (not change them). However, after an expense is rejected and the employee corrects it, when they re-submit it, it goes back to the Boss. They don't like approving something they already approved. Hopefully, this will result in the Boss only seeing once (when its perfect).