Can you assign an expense to different classes (not categories)?

laineyc
laineyc Expensify Customer Posts: 2

I see a way to split expenses across different categories, however I'd like to split expenses across different classes. Is there a way to do that? As far as I can tell, each report or bill can only belong to one class. The example here is a contractor who's billing us for work being done across classes.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sonia Liapounova
    Sonia Liapounova Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 211 Expensify Team

Hi @laineyc ! When an expense is split using the method in the article you linked, then each part of that expense can be coded separately with categories and tags as desired. So if your classes are imported as tags, then you will be able to set different tags on each of the split parts of the expense.

The only time that a class cannot be applied at the individual expense level, is if classes are set up as Report Fields. A report field is a top-level coding field where you select one to apply to all expenses in the report.

If you have an accounting integration connected to your policy then you can configure how to import Classes, as tags or report fields, under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections > Configure > Coding tab. If you are setting things up manually, without connecting to an accounting package then you can manage Tags from Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Tags and Report Fields from Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Reports.

• laineyc
    laineyc Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Thanks, @Sonia Liapounova! I'm looking at documentation for tags, and though they'd help me identify multiple relevant classes, it doesn't seem like I can specify the split (e.g. Class 1: 25%, Class 2: 75%). Could there be a workaround for that?