Maintaining two separate accounts?

JetForMe
JetForMe Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I currently use Expensify with my employer, and my login is based on my work email address. But I'd also like to use Expensify for my side business.

Does it just look at the From: address when I forward an email receipt to determine which account to use? If I make a mistake (it's very easy to send from the wrong email address in Apple Desktop Mail), is it easy to correct?

Answers

• Aussiebandit
    Aussiebandit Expensify Customer Posts: 256 Expensify Champion

@JetForMe - I think you will have to make sure you use the right email address for the receipts or just do a pdf and attach manually when you are in the correct account

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @JetForMe, great question! When you manage multiple Expensify account, it can be all too easy to mistakenly send a receipt from the wrong email address.

There isn't a surefire way to make sure this never happens, but if it does, the easiest thing to do is resend the receipt from the correct email address. You can delete the receipt that was loaded to the incorrect account.

If you run into other questions just let us know!

• rgondo
    rgondo Expensify Customer Posts: 31 Expensify Admirer

I'm considering the same situation - using Expensify for our company, and then using it personally for a separate side business.

Are there other best practices for this?
    How do I easily switch between accounts while using the iPhone app?

Thanks

• MaryAnn3
    MaryAnn3 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I recently got a job and introduced Expensify to my boss after coming back from a Trade Show.
    When I added the Expensify app on my phone and created it with my office information, I realized that my app didn't sync
    Now, I have the business on my personal phone and my personal on my desktop, i-pad at home.

I have been using Expensify for a couple of years and really like it.
    I don't want to MERGE, I just want 2 separate accounts

Can someone Help!
    MaryAnn3

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited October 2022

Hey @MaryAnn3, No matter what platform you're using to access Expensify, you should have the option to Sign Out and then log back in with different credentials.

On both the Web App and Mobile App, you'll find this under the Settings menu, right at the bottom, in red.

One option that could help everyone here ( @rgondo @JetForMe ) is to make each account a CoPilot for the other. You do still have to be conscious of who you're logged in as when you add expenses, but it might be a little less cumbersome than constantly signing out and back in. It also means you can email receipts from one email account to another Expensify account.

• JetForMe
    JetForMe Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Logging out and back in on a mobile device really kinda sucks, especially if you use complex, unique passwords. It would be nice if I could just select which account I a receipt is for at the time I'm scanning the receipt; let me log into multiple accounts simultaneously.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @JetForMe - did you check out the CoPilot function? In essence, that's exactly what you can do.

• tonyrif7
    tonyrif7 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Can I separate home and business receipts on Expensify if I use the same email address for both? Can I somehow separate my home receipts from my office receipts? I keep my small business records at home, its more convenient to send all my business receipts to my home where I do most of my accounting. I'm very new, just setting up Expensify. Sorry to sound so dumb. Thanks

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

@tonyrif7, thanks for reaching out here! You can use a single Expensify account to manage personal and business expenses or expenses for multiple businesses. The way to do this would be to use a policy for each division of expenses.

For example, let's pretend I want to track my personal expenses, the expenses for a business I am the employee of, and expenses for my own side business. I would create a separate policy for each and use reports to tie expenses to the corresponding policy.

This would allow you to use a single Expensify account, and a single set of login credentials, to manage all of your expenses in one place.

• mbell4
    mbell4 Expensify Customer Posts: 3

The content here is old. Are there any updates? I have the exact same situation but I don't want to mix in any way my personal business with the business I am employed by. I need 100% separation. Ideally, I would have the ability to easily see which account I'm logged into and be able to switch accounts without having to logout and login. That is not a solution. Also, the help doc referenced is no longer a valid url.

• Sheena Trepanier

@mbell4 - The solutions here are still the recommended options for this use case.

1. Create two accounts and make them Copilots of each other. This lets you log into one account and switch between the two, keeping all information completely separate. More info on adding Copilots here and best practices on them here.
    2. Use a Workspace or your Individual policy for personal expenses and your company's policy for business expenses. This scenario would be under a single login and only you can see expenses tied to your individual policy unless you give explicit access to another individual.

Cheers!