Maximum # of Transactions per Report???

Options
TStew22
TStew22 Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Hoping someone can shed some light on why Expensify is limiting the total number of transactions per report to 500...I've never had this issue before but am running into it now.

Is there a way to change this setting?

Thx.

Answers

• Cortney Ofstad
    Cortney Ofstad Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 173 Expensify Team
    Options

@TStew22 Thanks for reaching out! We put a limit in place, as we found that having such a large amount of expenses on a single report can cause issues when attempting to take actions in the report (i.e. updating categories and tags, exporting to CSV, generating a PDF, etc).

We recommend creating reports with a smaller amount of expenses to help alleviate any potential issues. Some options include creating reports more frequently (i.e. by day, week, month, or quarter) to help keep things organized while maintaining smaller reports.

If you have any other questions or need anything else, please let me know, or feel free to reach out to Concierge via your in-app message option or via email to concierge@expensify.com. Thanks!

• Daniyelita
    Daniyelita Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    Options

PLEASE, I am self employed and trying to finish up my 2021 end of year expense report for tax season. This change has made it impossible for me to create an end of the year report to that end - I would have to start over which would take days! I beg you, please get the developers to lift this 500 transaction per report limit so that customers can finish their year-end reports. This is a nightmare for your customers and needs some advance notice!

• Jason Li
    Jason Li Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 229 Expensify Team
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @Daniyelita - welcome to the Community, and thanks for sharing your feedback with us! I'll pass on your feedback to the wider team, but for transparency, this isn't a limit that we'd be looking at changing: as Cortney mentioned in the previous response, it's put in place to mitigate issues.

If you've already started creating a Report that you think will exceed 500 expenses, you don't need to delete anything and start over. Instead, you can navigate to the Expenses page and select the checkbox next to each expense you wish to move (tip: you can also select all current Expenses by selecting the checkbox next to "Date") and clicking on the "Add To Report" button - this will allow you to add the selected expenses to a new Report.

Feel free to write to us at concierge@expensify.com if you have any further questions!

• Daniyelita
    Daniyelita Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Jason, I appreciate the comment and clarification. As a small business owner I have loved using expensify since 2017. Prior to expensify I used another software/app but was not happy with the inability to create my own categories and a sorting process that was less accurate than Expensify. Currently I compile yearly Expense reports but keep my categories the same. By keeping one yearly expense report (rather than several) with different categories I am easily able to compare year to year expenses as well as keep my reports streamlined. With the new 500 maximum of expenses per report this adds a lot more work for users trying to finish up their 2021 expenses on reports that were created before this new limit took effect; I am having to reorganize and recategorize expenses that have not yet been added to 2021. Is there any way your team can give some leniency to this new maximum so that your users can adjust? This is a major change and I just did not see this one coming - no emails or other notifications. If I had gotten those I certainly would have prepared myself. Though it sounds like there is no flexibility for this at Expensify I'd like to plead for a temporary extension so that users like myself can at least finish what we started in 2021 for our taxes. PLEASE! Have some mercy for your customers! I am sure that there are more customers who are just not taking the time to write.

• IhsanRustem
    IhsanRustem Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Options

I am furious with this new (and pointless) change!!!! As the above persons mentioned, I have also been using Expensify since its start (I even worked with you guys on a project in Portland in 2018). Each year, I compile my tax returns by putting all of my expenses in a single report - I usually am over 7'00+ expenses. WHY OH WHY do I now need to make two separate reports for 2021? How pointless, and also confusing for my accountant and the tax department.

PLEASE CHANGE THIS BACK TO HOW IT ALWAYS WAS!!!!!!!!!! Or fix your internal issues - but please do not make life more difficult for us small self employed business people. This is ludicrous

• Btdub
    Btdub Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Options

This really needs to be changed. I will dropping you guys and so will MAAAANNNYY customers... This is insane to limit it like that. There are so many small businesses that use this a yearly report for tax purposes... PLEASE CHANGE THIS BACK!

• judasdryden
    judasdryden Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

ya this is a joke. I got the error talking about the 500 limit... so then i deleted one entry and then tried to add another... didnt work... it again tells me that there is a 500 limit. sooooo... basically there are currently more entries than 500? or else why wouldnt deleting one entry allow me to add another... as far as i can tell theres no way to see an actual number of entries to get an idea of how far over the limit i am. (without manually counting them on a screen... good luck) Not only did they add an absolutely rediculous limit just to solve their own internal programing issues but they give no way of easily dealing with something like splitting up reports, or simply giving a running total of entries so you might have at least an idea of when this limit is close to being reached.

either way expensify has a few major kinks and they just choose not to do anything about it. Expensify tells you the reason to limit 500 is because of other problems that will happen when dealing with large reports? well solve those other #$*@'ing problems then.

really sucks when you have invested hundreds of hours into organizing your entire finances around a program like this that sells you on making your life so much easier... then they have these ridiculous hurdles that make the entire program pointless.

expensify get your sh** together

• phil_crawford
    phil_crawford Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    Options

I agree. This is crap. You need to change this or I am going with another service... I am using this for my end of year tax as well. And now you are asking me to do the work on integrating several different reports instead of keeping it all the same one. I thought you were about helping us save time.