How do change between policies when using app to take a picture of a receipt?

claythompson
claythompson Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

For example, I have 3 companies - real estate, marketing and rentals. i want to be able to take a pic of the receipt and add it to one of the 3 companies?

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @claythompson, great question! Since your Expensify account can only have one active policy at a time, I recommend creating a report for each policy and adding the receipt to the report at the time you take the photo.

To do this, click the More Options button at the bottom of your receipt (directly after taking the photo) and then assign the report that corresponds with the company the expense is for.

By adding the receipt to a report tied to one of your companies, you will only see the categories and tags available under that specific company policy when coding the expense.

• claythompson

2 questions: 1. How do i know which policy i am in on the desktop? When i click inbox, it shows the policy to the right, but when i am in one of the other folders (expenses or reports), it doesn't show which policy i am in.

1. Can i move an expense from one policy to another? How do i do this?

Thanks.

• tylerzoll
    tylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 430 Expensify Champion
    edited March 2020

@claythompson The policy shows up in the upper rightcorner of a report. You have to be a member on both policies to select one.

It's easy to change the policy of an expense. You can change the policy on the report or you can go into an individual expense and change the report.

• claythompson

3 questions: 1. What if I am in expenses - it doesn't show which policy I am in? See attached screenshot.

1. I don't understand how to change the policy of an expense - see pic = how would I do it from that screen?
    2. I also don't know how to change an expense to a different report? I want to have my reports come up monthly, but haven't done one because the month isn't up, which leads back to how do I move the expense to a different policy?
  • tylerzoll
    edited March 2020

@claythompson, If we backup a little here, do you have two reports created? from that point you can designate one report to one policy and the other report to the other policy.

Next step- You can select the individual checkboxes at each expense on the screen that you want to add to a specific report. Then the Add to report button should appear at the top.

• claythompson

So, I have to create a report first (for policy - TRG for example) and then manually add each expense to that report. Then, I have to select other expenses and add them to report #2 for TMG?

When you click on Expenses tab on left, are you actually in a policy - or just in a general expenses folder until i assign them to a report that is policy specific? Do all expenses that are emailed or loaded through the app show up in the Expenses tab - regardless of which policy you are defaulted to in the app?

For example, if I am in default policy for TRG on the expensify app and I upload a receipt. I then go to my desktop expensify app, which is in default TMG policy on the desktop, then in Expenses - the expense will show up? even though i am not in the same policy?

• tylerzoll

@claythompson, I think the best way to explain it is that expenses belong to reports and reports belong to policies. So expenses don't really belong to policies until they are added to a report. I believe that the expenses will default to a report that is associated with your defaut policy.

It's easy to change a group of expenses from one report to the other from the screen shot above.

All expenses should show up under the expenses tab regardless of policy or how they were sent in.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

Hi @claythompson, you can find the policy your account is using as the default if you click on your user icon in the top left corner of your account (from the web).

In the dropdown you'll see section that says "Use this policy". Whichever policy name has a green check by it is your default policy. (Below)

I hope this helps!