Best practices for managing expenses on multiple policies

drhaaz
drhaaz Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Admirer
edited April 2018 in Day to Day

We have employees who can submit expenses under two different sets of policies. They used to toggle between policies in the expenses page when they were coding their expenses.

Now you can only filter expenses by policy (which doesn't help) or change policies in the accounts settings, which changes the policy to all expenses and creates policy violations and confusion to identify which expenses are from which policy. Was this something lost in the new UI? Is there a solution being worked on to make coding with different policies easier?

Best Answer

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓

@drhaaz, Tyler is correct here and there hasn't been a change to how policies and expenses are tied together.

Employees will have the ability to select a default policy for their account. The default policy will dictate the categories and tags available for coding unreported expenses. Additionally, any new report created in their account will be tied to the default policy. (below)

Since employees need to code expenses across multiple policies, I recommend waiting to do so until the expenses are on a report. By using the report level for coding, you can tie a report to a specific policy.

For example, if I need to code and submit expenses across multiple policies, I'd create a report for each policy as a first step. Once my reports were created, I'd open the report and make sure the report is tied to a specific policy. (below)

After I've selected the policy for each report, I would add expenses to the reports and code from there. By coding after I've added the expenses to the reports, I can make sure that the categories and tags available for expenses are from the correct policy.

Answers