What Happens to Expenses When Rejected Off a Report?

SuzanneK
SuzanneK Expensify Customer Posts: 33 Expensify Newcomer
edited August 2018 in Advanced Admin Controls

I rejected specific expense. when they resubmit, the unrejected expenses on the report are disappearing. they are no where to be found in reports or expenses. Why is this happening?

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @SuzanneK - thanks for posting this. I want to clear up a little confusion on my end, I hope that is okay.

Can you confirm the below is accurate? If not, please let me know where I'm off base.

1. You receive a report from an employee
    2. You reject some expenses from the report
    3. The employee takes those rejected expenses and adds them to a new report
    4. When they submit the report, the previously rejected expenses are again being removed from the report

Or, are employees simply unable to find the rejected expenses in their account after you've rejected them?

If they are unable to find the expenses, would you be comfortable sharing the merchant, date and amount of an expense that was rejected that can't be found? To help me locate the expenses, can you also share the report ID the expense was rejected from?

Thanks!

• SuzanneK

they can resubmit the rejected expenses. the unrejected expenses are now nowhere to be found. she have 5 expenses. I rejected 2. the new report had 2. the old report disappeared completely. so we lost 3 expenses.

• SuzanneK

the user was able to find them in her expenses although I could not see them in her expenses. I think I will just reject the report from now on.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited December 2018

Hi @SuzanneK just to clarify how this works - as a Policy Admin, you can see expenses which are on a Report, on the Policy (or Policies) you are the admin for.

If your employees' expenses are not on any report, you won't be able to see them. I imagine that this user had these sitting 'unreported' or associated with the user's Individual policy.

A good practice is to get your team to have a standing 10 min appointment in their calendars on a quiet day each week e.g. Friday 10am, so they can check all their latest expenses are on reports and none have violations. The more proactive they can be, the smoother the process for them, and the less likely it will be that you'll need to reject anything.

• NickyG
    NickyG Expensify Customer Posts: 11 Expensify Newcomer

Piggy backing on this question, I'm an admin and I am responsible for manually exporting approved reports to Intacct monthly prior to closing the books for the month. I need to know whether there are any unreported expenses within that month, so that I don't try to close when I'm missing expenses. It seems that I can see them if I select "All Submitters" on the Expenses view. Is this the best / only way to see unreported expenses, or at least know whether there are any?

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @NickyG you cannot see unreported expenses at all, as they are in the users' Expensify account and not on your company Policy yet.

However if you use credit cards imported under Domain Control, you can use the company card reconciliation dashboard to see if there are any outstanding card transactions left to reconcile.

If users are using personal cards rather than centrally managed cards, the onus is on them to report their expenses. It generally works when they want to be paid, but if a company card is set up in their personal settings, and they have little interest in doing a monthly card rec, this can make things tricky.

I recommend checking out the post linked above, and if you haven't already, consider moving your cards to Domain Control.

• NickyG
    NickyG Expensify Customer Posts: 11 Expensify Newcomer

thanks, we are using domain control and I'll check out the dashboard and webinar.