How to troubleshoot duplicates and receipts not merging with credit card expenses

julianacollazos_83julianacollazos_83 Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
edited August 2018 in Day to Day

Why are the receipts and credit card imports duplicating. Also, when i try to match them out not all the imports show up, but it will on others.

Best Answer

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 932 Expensify Success Coach
    edited March 2018 Accepted Answer

Hi @julianacollazos_83 , just to make it public, here's the public-friendly part of our discussion:

When working with expenses there's one thing you want to pay close attention to: The icon on the expense. A credit card with a padlock = credit card on Domain Control. Notes & coins = cash receipt AKA a receipt not yet paired with a credit card expense.

The best place to merge expenses is on the Expenses page, and with a view of item lines, rather than receipt images. It can help to filter by Merchant Name in this situation.

The reason I like to merge from the expenses page is because it's very clear exactly what you are merging, as you can see instantly the type of transaction (cash receipt vs card transaction), the date and the amount.

In this case, the reason you can't find the 'matching' receipt for the card transaction is because it doesn't actually exist. The one you are seeing from the 'other' report or expense is the original expense you were in, not a different one waiting to be merged. Aaaaaand I'll just help you privately with all the other confusing stuff going on with the user's expenses!

Edit: Quick note for clarification - If a receipt is SmartScanned, it should automatically merge with the credit card transaction.

If anyone is having issues with SmartScanned expenses not merging with their credit card transaction, please reach out to [email protected] with all the details so that we can look in the data and work out why.

General troubleshooting steps:
    1. Are the icons different? One cash, one credit card? (if yes, they should have merged automatically)
    2. Are the amounts the same for both transactions? (If yes, in addition to question 1, they should have merged automatically)
    3. Are both expenses Open or Unreported? (If yes, with 1 & 2, ditto)
    4. Does the card transaction have a receipt image? (If yes, it has already been merged, and the other cash receipt is a duplicate which you can disregard/delete)

These are the key things we look at before doing a deep dive. If all these things seem to be in order, definitely email us without hesitation!

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,914Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @julianacollazos_83, welcome and thanks for posting. Can you share some details with me so I can dig a little deeper into what might be happening?

Can you share the merchant, date and amount of an expense that is duplicated and not merging with the receipt you've uploaded?

It will be very helpful if I can troubleshoot an uncorrected example.

Thanks!

• julianacollazos_83julianacollazos_83 Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    edited March 2018

I merged most them. But how I can avoid this in the future?
    But I am having an issue with matching 3 expenses. For example : Upwork March 25 for $61.65 . When I click merge from the report tab I see other expenses, just not the one I need , but when I click merge on another "report" then I see the expense I'm looking for. However, since I'm on a different report I can't merge the report with the expense. What am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 932Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @julianacollazos_83, I'm going to reach out to you privately - I suspect the account associated with your Community credentials is not the one we're talking about, and I don't want you to share private details in a public forum.

• MJNiMMJNiM Posts: 59Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

We are having the same issue. It's getting to the point where we are wondering if all the hassle during reconciliation is worth it. We also have the problem of always losing all of the payee information because the Reports obviously don't have identical payee to match in Quickbooks. We desperately wish that wasn't an issue.

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 932Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @MJNiM , the issue here is a user with lots of cash receipts and no matching card expenses, potentially nothing to do with duplicates in the end. :)

Maybe you could elaborate a little on your own issue with duplicates?

I believe this post might help you with your expense merchant names/vendor names in QuickBooks.

• jana_3circlechurchjana_3circlechurch Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Thank you @RachCHopkins for the tips on merging the duplicate expenses caused by receipts that are scanned/added by users and expenses that are added from cards not matching automatically. Could someone please reach out to me about how to get them to match automatically going forward to avoid having to go in and merge them manually every time? It is happening very often in our case. I think it may be caused by our desire to close out expenses daily as the reports are being closed before the card transactions are being downloaded? If so, what are the practices you recommend when we are wanting to close out the expenses and get them exported asap? I am also thinking this could happen some of the time even if we were closing out weekly vs. daily if, for example, a receipt was just scanned and a report created but the expense had not downloaded from the card until the day or so after the report was submitted?

• NickyGNickyG Posts: 12Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

We have a similar issue but with a twist, so I'm posting here but might need 1-1 support. Here's the real example: on 4/9 employee smartscans and create cash receipts; on 4/16 concierge submits report; on 4/16 most cash expenses on the report are merged with data from imported card, but NOT this one; on 4/17 report is approved; on 4/18 or 19 the data from imported card for that one expense shows up. Now we have 2 duplicate expenses, one cash on an approved report and one card on an open report. And we can't find any way to merge them! What to do?

I anticipate this will happen again, because employees are so happy about smartscanning right away and because we have set up weekly automatic submissions. Hoping there's an elegant solution!

• Ted PeetersTed Peeters Posts: 294Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Hi @NickyG - since early January, all matching Cash and Card transactions will merge, regardless of the Report Status - as long as the movement of one transaction to the other report does not affect the Reimbursable total of any exported Approved or Reimbursed reports.

That sounds like a change which should have resolved the issue you're experiencing. :/

I'd have a quick read through the Merge Troubleshooting steps in our Help Doc here to see if anything jumps out at you there - if not though, update us (or if you'd prefer to keep company stuff private, reach out to [email protected]) and we can take a look at these specific transactions!

• NickyGNickyG Posts: 12Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

thanks @Ted_Peeters, it does not seem to be working so I'll reach out for help.