What's the advantage of using a policy?

Options
craig
craig Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
edited February 2019 in Getting Started

I get that we can configure policy specific categories, tags, and other stuff. But aside from that, as an individual sole proprietor what's the advantage of configuring policies and not just working with our base profiles?

Best Answers

• Aussiebandit
    Aussiebandit Expensify Customer Posts: 256 Expensify Champion
    Answer ✓
    Options

@craig I would imagine that as a individual sole proprietor that policies wont be of benefit to you. Our company is a global company and therefore we use policies to categorize our employees and what is their base currency, taxes etc.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @craig - No worries, this is what the community is for!

When your Expensify account is a member of multiple policies, you'll see that a single policy can be set as the account default. (below)

The default policy for your account means a few different things. First, it will be the policy that all new reports are created under. Second, when coding unreported expenses, it dictates which policy's categories and tags you see by default to apply to the expense.

If you have multiple policies to select from as a default, I recommend selecting the one that you use most often. Then, when you create a new report you can select the policy the report should be submitted on in the top right corner of the report. (Below)

If you wait to code expenses (apply categories and/or tags) until they are on a report under the correct policy, you'll be sure that the categories and tags are from the right policy.

The policy the report is listed under in the top right corner is the policy the report will also be submitted under. The report will follow the approval workflow that is set up in the report's policy.

I hope this helps provide some clarity to the question but please reach out to help@expensify.com if you want to chat about account specifics.

Thanks!

Answers

• craig
    craig Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

Ah, I have two defined policies. I see that one can select a policy from the Inbox tab on login, but it's unclear to me how individual expenses/receipts are associated with a policy. May expenses be associated with multiple policies? If we do have multiple policies defined, do we then have to be careful as to which policy an expense is associated? Thanks. Sorry, it's just not too clear to me.

• vmaas
    vmaas Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

This is great info, thank you. Is there a reason why you wouldn't have the option of selecting a default policy, or even change to a different policy within a report, if you are part of multiple policies? I am a member of six policies, but I don't have the option to set a default policy, or even see the other policies. Thanks!

• Aussiebandit
    Aussiebandit Expensify Customer Posts: 256 Expensify Champion
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @craig - you can only associate a receipt to one report on one policy. You can choose the policy (if you have access to multiple policies) from within the report itself.

Once you have selected the correct policy, all the right settings for that policy will display eg currency, tax etc. Then add your receipt here.

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020
    Options

@vmaas - So sorry for the delay here! Generally, when an Expensify user is a member of multiple policies, the option to select a default policy or apply a policy to a report is available.

If you do not have the option, it would be because your domain admin (at your company) has restricted your policy selection. If this is in error, your best option is to reach out to an admin and let them know you can't select a different policy when you need to be able to.

Your domain admin will have the ability to move you from a group restricted to a single policy to an unrestricted group.

Cheers!