Can I connect Expensify to Xero Practice?

kelsey
kelsey Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
edited August 2018 in Integrations and API

How do you get authority to connect app to Xero practice. Is this through Expensify settings or through settings in Xero?

Best Answer

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

A quick update for those finding their way to this thread via a search: Xero Practice is Xero's practice management software for accountants and works quite differently to the general consumer iteration of Xero.

Expensify does not connect to Xero Practice, so if you are an accounting firm using Expensify for your own client expenses/disbursements, you will need to use CSV to transfer them from Expensify to Xero Practice.

If you would like to see a Xero Practice connection, feel free to raise it in Ideas!

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited August 2018

Hi @kelsey,

Welcome to the Community, I hope you're having a great week! I want to make sure that I'm understanding correctly, so I was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me.

Are you referring to connecting Xero to your Expensify account? If so, have you checked out our step by step guide to making the connection? You can find that here, if you haven't already taken a closer look at it.

If you have already looked at the guide and got stuck on a specific step, can you let me know what step you're at and what is happening when trying to make the connection?

If you're referring to something else, my apologies. Could you tell me a little more about you're trying to achieve?

Thanks!

• ChadB
    ChadB Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I use Xero, subscribed to the "standard" plan for my small business. I did start on the trial version, but am now subscribed to the full version. I'm getting this same error message.

I did try to connect the two initially while in the trial version which may have messed something up, but the window I get in expensify's connections window is also slightly different than the guide shows. It only has one (blue) button which says "connect to Xero HQ". When I click that I get the error that "You are not authorised to connect an app to a Xero Practice."

• kennygkk
    kennygkk Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I have the same problem as ChadB...any advise from Expensify or Xero?

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited June 2018

Hi @ChadB and @kennygkk , Xero Practice is practice management software for accountants who run an accounting practice.

If you are a small business (which is not an accountancy firm), you don't need this version of Xero. I recommend you reach out to Xero to ensure you are using the correct Xero suite for your needs. :)

• ChadB
    ChadB Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
    edited December 2018

Oddly I do not have and have never used the practice version. I did however figure out the problem - there are two methods of reaching an area in expensify with the option to connect to Xero.

One is through Settings -> Policies -> Group -> [Policy Name] -> Connections

The other is Settings -> Policies -> Individual -> [Personal Policy] -> Connections

One of these gives the above error message, one of these works. If I recall correctly it is the Settings -> Policies -> Group -> [Policy Name] -> Connections one which worked for me.

Cheers,

-Chad

• Rachael Hopkins

Hi @ChadB - yes that's correct, you definitely want to link Xero from the company Policy! Thanks for highlighting that. =)

• NeilBenson
    NeilBenson Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    edited December 2018

When I visit Settings > Policies > Connections, I can see the option to connect to Xero HQ but not Xero. I am on an Individual plan for Expensify and a Xero standard plan. I don't use Xero HQ (it's for accountants not regular businesses).

Perhaps I'm on the wrong Expensify policy type, but the help article doesn't specify the minimum policy type required. https://docs.expensify.com/xero/getting-started/xero-connect-your-policy.

• Rachael Hopkins
    edited December 2018

Hi @NeilBenson Welcome to the Expensify Community!

My apologies, yes you need a group Collect or Control Policy to connect to your Xero GL. We have a features comparison here.

And I'll pass on your feedback to our help docs team. :)