Matching Expensify credit card transactions to Vendor Bills in QBO

MJNiMMJNiM Posts: 59 Expensify Newcomer

We hare having issues with "unpaid Vendor Bills" in Quickbooks Online because Expensify Credit Card payments aren't matching up with the Vendor Bills.

Can anyone give advice or experience on ways to handle this ?

Thanks

Best Answer

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 842 Expensify Success Coach
    Accepted Answer

Hi @DZD Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Ok, so let's say you get a payable invoice for muffins, and you pay it with your credit card rather than a cheque from your Accounts Payable. You won't want to input the bill into your AP system in QBO in advance, like you would with your standard 20 day payables, as you are treating it as an 'expense', rather than a regular AP transaction.

You will want to SmartScan that bill into Expensify only, then export it as a non-reimbursable credit or debit card expense, or a vendor bill into QBO.

If you export as credit or debit card, you can match to the imported bank transaction in QBO. Just make sure you import your bank account into QBO after the export from Expensify!

Feel free to come back to me if you have any further queries about this.

Answers

Hi @MJNiM , let's unpack this and see if we can't get to the bottom of it...

I see you export as Vendor Bills for your Reimbursable expenses, which are created under Accounts Payable. And for Non-reimbursables you export as Credit Card against an Amex account.

So... This means you raise a bill against the Employee, because you need to pay that employee for their out-of-pocket expenses. If they paid using a work credit card, this is exported back to QBO to be matched to the credit card transactions.

The two types of transactions are quite different - the Vendor Bills can be marked as paid once the Reimbursement is confirmed. Because the reimbursables are 'cash' rather than corporate cards, they are not seen as credit card payments, regardless of whether a user incurs them on a credit card or actual folding cash money.

Here's the technical bit: According to your current settings, the Vendor Bills should be marked as Paid (as far as I'm aware). Are you saying that the vendor bills are being raised after reimbursement, but they are not marked as paid. For example Report ID 29334037? (use shift+G from your reports page to jump to it with the ID)

• MJNiMMJNiM Posts: 59 Expensify Newcomer

I'll be honest, most of what you are talking about is using terminology over my head and beyond my expensify experience. I can give you an example without going into too much detail. If I go to my pay bills screen in QBO, I can see many unpaid bills that are flagged. However, those same bills have been paid with a credit card. In the banking screen, under FOR REVIEW (In Quickbooks) we would see the transactions from expensify that are pending and we can match and add them. The payments for those bills should match up with those bills in QBO and find the bill and apply the payment to the bill. We have several instances where the payment does not "find" the bill, even though the payee and the dollar amount is the same. I can look into specific PAST Examples. I don't have any currently sitting that don't match. But this is a common occurrence.

Thanks for the update @MJNiM , yes please when you next have one with this issue, please post here asap and I'll drag one of our QBO experts into the mix.

@RachCHopkins a good example would be Product Plan. (vendor) monthly charge $58 and always paid via credit card (card user is Angela, card ending in 4098)
    Our March and April ProductPlan bills are still sitting in QBO and never matched with the transactions, March Expensify transaction was already approved from report 29334035. This one might be a result of ProductPlan.com vs ProductPlan (OBO Vendor Name) but we see it with other vendors that are identical.

@RachCHopkins second example, Verizon Bill for March sitting unpaid in QBO, $338.32

Payment 3/21/18 to Verizon with username Jenny, Card ending in 4080, on report 29811373, already approved, transferred into QBO and didn't match the bill, although dollar amount, vendor, are exact.

Lucid Charts and State Farm are also examples of bills that often don't match.

comments from my boss: "Sometimes I've deleted the payment and then manually entered the payment directly from the bill. But then you lose any information that came with it from Expensify. Can you try to figure out a way to match past bills and payments that aren't matched and also try to figure out why they aren't matching so that we can fix the issue and have them match in the future."

Hi @MJNiM sorry for the delay, we've been discussing this internally.

You currently export your non-reimbursables as credit card transactions, not vendor bills. Can you please explain to me exactly what you are trying to match? Is it the credit card transaction to the bank feed in QBO?

@RachCHopkins It's credit card transactions to Unpaid Bills in QBO. I hope that makes sense. When a Vendor Bill (in QBO) is paid by a credit card transaction, part of the time Expensify transfers it to QBO and in the "download screen" in QBO, the transaction finds the unpaid bill in the QBO system and matches it, much like it matches any credit card transaction that is already in QBO, or that might be a duplicate.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,760 Expensify Success Coach

@MJNiM - My colleague is going to reach out to you via email so we can consolidate the various issues into a single thread and work together to resolve them.

She'll be reaching out via the email chain you and I already have going.

Cheers!

• DZDDZD Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi, I had the exact same question as this discussion thread and wanted to figure out if there was a resolution. When I enter a bill into quickbooks and then pay it with a corporate credit card linked to expensify, I am not sure how to link the credit card charge to the payment of the bill inside QBO. QBO finds 2 transactions that the bank charge could match to - the Expensify transaction and the bill. But I don't know how to get it to recognize that the Expensify transaction is a payment for the bill.

• DZDDZD Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer