Should I integrate QuickBooks Online with American Express Connect and Expensify

cantico
cantico Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I want to use the AMEX multiple company cards with Expensify integration with QB Online, but I'm not sure if I should also be bringing transactions in from American Express to QBO also with QBO integration with AMEX Connect feature..

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @cantico thanks for posting a great question!

If you import American Express into Expensify and not into QuickBooks Online, you'll see that we'll create expenses in QBO with the account coded to the expense when you export from Expensify.

The advantage of connecting American Express to QuickBooks and Expensify, is that you can use the two imports as a means to perform reconciliation in both Expensify and QBO.

Please note: If you have Amex expenses importing into both Expensify and QBO, you'll need to make sure that you export from Expensify to QBO before you add the expenses to QBO using Amex Connect.

If you add the expenses from Amex Connect to QBO before you export from Expensify, you will see duplicates of each credit card expense.

• DPMKF
    DPMKF Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I manage a corporate AMEX with multiple cardholders through Expensify and am wondering whether I should also connect to American Express Connect. Connect pushes transactions to QBO nightly, so the advice above isn't relevant. Any current update (May 2018) on the best way configure these connections?

• Ashe
    Ashe Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Currently, we are on an AMEX Corporate Green Card (CGC) program with about 30+ cardholders nationwide. I would like to see a daily feed to Expensify so the cardholders can be responsible for entering their own GL account coding along with the description of the charges. Expensify is currently syncing the GL accounts from QBO. We would like QBO and Expensify to match the charges against each other for reconciliation purposes. I know the AMEX Platinum cards allows the daily feed, but not sure of the AMEX CGC. Can anyone provide any feedback to my situation? Thanks

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

@Ashe - Great question! I don't have experience with the Amex CGC account personally, so I hope another Community member can chime in with their experience. Typically though, we'd recommend a quick call to your Amex account rep to ask if it's eligible for a commercial feed. If it is, we can help you get the process started!