Exporting expenses to Quickbooks Desktop petty cash fund account

Verano47
Verano47 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Integrations and API

I have recently integrated my expensify account to my Quickbooks Desktop and so far satisfied with the customer, vendor, chart of accounts and classes. Few issues I need an answer please:

1. I am issuing Petty Cash Fund to employees and periodically they submit expense claims. Is there an option that I can charge each expense to their PCF accounts? Like Debit expense and credit PCF. Pretty much how the Write Check module of QB works.
  2. Aside from the "Comment Section". is there a way for us to isolate reports? Like the "Number Field" in QB where we can easily extract a report and its components?
  3. Will the merchant field not produce a duplicate on QB Desktop vendor list? I see that there is no option to select from a merchant list, a feature that is the same as the customer or class field.

Looking forward to your thoughts re the matter. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @Verano47, welcome to the Community! These are some great questions, and I'm happy to help you out.

1. I am issuing Petty Cash Fund to employees, and periodically they submit expense claims. Is there an option that I can charge each expense to their PCF accounts? Like Debit expense and credit PCF. Pretty much how the Write Check module of QB works.

-- We do not support this functionality, sorry about that. Creating a post in our Ideas category is the best way to raise awareness for this feature because it allows other customers the option to vote for it and share their use case.

1. Aside from the "Comment Section". is there a way for us to isolate reports? Like the "Number Field" in QB where we can easily extract a report and its components?

-- We pass the report ID to QuickBooks along with the other report information. The report ID can be found exported to the memo section. The report ID in Expensify can be used to quickly navigate between reports. Use shift+G from anywhere in your account and enter the report ID to be taken directly to the report.

1. Will the merchant field not produce a duplicate on QB Desktop vendor list? I see that there is no option to select from a merchant list, a feature that is the same as the customer or class field.

-- If you want the payee field for Credit Card expenses in QuickBooks Desktop to show the merchant name, a matching Vendor must exist in QuickBooks. Expensify looks for an exact match when exporting and if it can’t find a match, the payee gets mapped to a "Credit Card Misc." vendor that we create.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @Verano47 - that message means exactly what it says on the tin, that there is no vendor record for that user and you will need to create one with that email address. :)

• Verano47
    Answer ✓

Thank you @RachCHopkins , I managed to sync it now. Great help!

One more question pls, is this really how it looks when exported / posted in QB? Sorry for the stupid question, I just find it odd because we will be filing tax returns and each supplier / vendor / merchant has individual tax ID's.

Maybe I missed something or over expected, I was thinking that the entry, once synced in QB, is per supplier / vendor / merchant.

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @Verano47, how it comes into QuickBooks Desktop will depend on the export options chosen. Instead of paraphrasing, let me just link you to the full guide.

Answers

• Verano47

Thank you for the reply @Sheena Trepanier .

So since I have multiple petty cash accounts (bank), it don't thnk it has the capacity to assign individually. But rather my workaround is dump it all in a single PCF account and manually reassign each receipts to the sub-accounts.

Now can you please explain the notification? (See attached image) Thank you.

This is so far my roadblock to posting in Quickbooks desktop.

• Sadie_Thompson
    Sadie_Thompson Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

Any updates on adding petty cash accounts? It sure would be helpful for employees to be able to load their receipts into Expensify, as well as upload into Petty Cash GL accounts in QBO.

I would prefer each employee to have multiple credit cards and/or petty cash/ debit cards to be able to upload receipts to and assign to the correct individual GL account.