What happens when you delete a policy?

GavinE360
GavinE360 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
edited March 2020 in Day to Day

If I delete a policy, does it keep all the historic reports and receipts? In the same way, if I delete a person rather than disable them, does it keep their report and expenses history?

Best Answer

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓

Hi @GavinE360 Welcome to the Expensify Community!

If you delete a Policy, any Open and Processing reports will need a new Policy selected to continue. Any processed reports will show the Policy name as 'Not Shared' and you can no longer reopen and edit them. But the reports will not be deleted.

Because you don't get charged any extra for extra policies, some Policy Admins like to keep the Policy but just remove all the users from it. This way the Policy name still makes sense for future reference and you can filter reports and expenses by the old Policy, and reopen if ever needed.

If you remove a user from a Policy, their processed reports will not be deleted nor will any open expenses, they will just have no ability to report expenses going forward. Removing a user from a policy does not delete their personal Expensify account.

NB: If you have verified your Domain, and you remove the user from the Domain: if they have no secondary email on their Expensify account, their entire account will be deleted. But processed reports will still remain available to the Policy Admin.

If the user has a secondary email, they will still keep their 'personal' Expensify account and history against their secondary email. Make sure that before you remove a user from the domain, you also remove them from any Policies.

If you unassign a company card, this will remove all unreported/open card expenses from their account.

Feel free to come back to me if you have any further queries about any of this.