Getting unlimited SmartScans is easier than ever

Sheena Trepanier
Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
edited December 2018 in Product Updates

We’re making adding expenses even easier by making it possible for any customer to buy unlimited SmartScans! If you’re using Expensify to track personal or submit business expenses and don’t belong to a group policy we’ve got your back.

Starting August 1, the free version of Expensify will offer 5 free SmartScans per month (previously 10). But don’t panic, we’ve made it really easy to get unlimited SmartScans for only $4.99 a month.

After you’ve scanned your last free receipt, the app will prompt you to upgrade to get more.

Click here to learn all the finer details!

Comments

• reimburse_me
    reimburse_me Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I first want to say THANK YOU for adding the unlimited scans subscription. That is awesome. HOWEVER, please, please, please add an annual payment option for this feature. As a group who lives for minimizing the headaches of expense tracking, you surely see that 1 payment a year is better than 12. Thoughts?

• IPenrod
    IPenrod Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Is it possible to permanently disable SmartScans? As a personal user not interested in the subscription, it's more frustrating having 2 different ways to enter transactions. With the latest update, I now have to scroll down and find the tiny "Enter the details manually" link. This is frustrating.

• Ben Fitz
    Ben Fitz Expensify Team Posts: 117 Expensify Team

Hey @reimburse_me!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new Personal Subscription! :star:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts around offering an annual version of the Personal Subscription. We always like to hear feedback from users, especially when we introduce a new product feature, and I'll make sure your request is heard by the right ears! :blush:

• Ben Fitz
    Ben Fitz Expensify Team Posts: 117 Expensify Team

Hey @IPenrod! Welcome to the Expensify Community! :blush:

Sorry to hear that you wish to not use SmartScan!

You can disable and enable SmartScan from a web browser (not the mobile app) by navigating to Settings > Your Account > Preferences and then clicking the SmartScan toggle.

You can always toggle this feature back on if you'd like a hands-free way to retain your receipt information. Just in case you didn't know, every Expensify account has 5 free SmartScans, so you can try the feature to see if you like it!

• IPenrod
    IPenrod Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer
  • Makayla
    Makayla Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

This is different than the paid policies correct? Currently, I have to add members to my policy in order for them to get the unlimited smartcans. That's the only feature of the policy we use. Will this replace that? Secondly, will the $4.99 be charged to the user's card or can multiple users have it tied to the same card. It would be a disaster to have to track that $4.99 on so many different cards each month

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @Makayla, this is different than the Corporate and Team paid policies which are typically for groups or individuals who need a connection to an accounting package. The Personal Subscription for unlimited Smartscans is meant for a single person who is not the member of a company policy. Additionally, the Personal Subscription will be charged to the card the employee puts on file in their account.

Do your employees submit any expenses to you for Approval? Do you reimburse them through Expensify? I'd be happy to help you determine what's best for your team if you'd like to let me know a bit more about how you use Expensify.

• Makayla
    Makayla Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
    edited September 2018

@Sheena Trepanier, they do submit expenses each month, but we use an external approval system that uses the pdfs of the reports. We do not reimburse through Expensify. We use Expensify simply for the tracking and coding of charges made on employee cards. We have several employees who have 25+ charges each month, so in order to have the unlimited smartscans for them, we've previously had to add them to the policy.

Also, if we cancel a card, let an employee go, etc, will that service cancel automatically when the card can no longer be charged, or will it somehow be charged to another card?

And last question, if the upgrade is done via a computer, will the service transfer to the current Expensify app, or will the users still need to upgrade via the app store for ios users?

• LauraL
    LauraL Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

How does "unlimited smartscans" translate to "5 smartscans, unlimited if you pay more"?? confusing advertising.

• Sheena Trepanier

@LauraL -- Unlimited SmartScans come with any paid subscription. If you use Expensify as a free account, you receive 5 free SmartScans per month.

• LauraL
    LauraL Expensify Customer Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

OK - so I see that now you've explained it - it's rather poorly shown. There's a big number and underneath in rather tiny words "free for 5 scans". That really isn't clear. If you were looking for a free plan (which I"m not but others might) you would look on the pricing plan for one marked "Free" in the price area. That's what most vendors that have a free product do. Very confusing.

• Sheena Trepanier

Thanks for the feedback @LauraL, I think you're right. I've passed this along to my team and they'll take a closer look for any possible changes.

Cheers!