Expenses flow into same account when exporting to Quickbooks Online with multiple credit cards -

MKirchman
MKirchman Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Integrations and API

My expense transactions come from 2 sources: American Express and Bank of America. When I generate a report and export it to Quickbooks, all expenses (both AmEx and BoA) flow into my AmEx account. Why is that!?

Best Answer

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Answer ✓

Hi @MKirchman, I hope your Friday is off to a great start. I see this was also brought up in another thread, so I went to have a chat with my team members who specialize in our integrations so that I could get a full breakdown of what needs to happen here for you.

Sadly, I learned it's a bit more intensive than I expected and for that, I apologize. The gist of it is this:

Each policy will export non-reimbursable expenses based on the configuration set up in the Connections > Configure settings for Quickbooks. During the export, if you have set an account for each credit or debit card we then export expenses to the account based on what you have set up in Domain Control > Company Cards. This works great when you only have a credit card or a debit card account, but when you have both, it becomes very difficult.

Since the policy starts the export based on the configuration settings for non-reimbursables as a Credit or Debit Card, and then takes into consideration which accounts you have assigned to each credit or debit card, you'll want to create separate reports and separate policies for each type.

I see you've already started this and created separate policies, which is great and just the steps you needed to take. That being said, I know it's not ideal right now so if things change in this regard I'll reach out to you right away.

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @MKirchman, great question!

If you'd like to export transactions to an individual account, you'll want to set the account at the card level in Domain Control. If accounts are not set in domain control, all expenses will export according to the account set in the Export Configuration for QuickBooks Online. In the screenshot below you can see that you have an AmEx account set as the default export account for non-reimbursable expenses, which is why you see all expenses go to that account.

If you instead navigate to your Settings > Domain Control > click on [domain name] > Company Card tab, you can set an account for each credit card you have assigned by clicking on the cog to the far right of the card. Once you set the account, company card expenses should export to the appropriate account in QuickBooks.

After making any changes, it's always a good idea to sync the connection and try to export to make sure things are working as expected. I hope this helps!

• MKirchman

Thank you so much. I have a credit card (amex) and a debit card (Bank of America).

• Sheena Trepanier

@MKirchman, that shouldn't be a problem at all! You'll see an option to set a default credit card account or a default debit card account. I double checked and see you set a default debit card account for Bank of America and default credit card account for AmEx, so wonderful job there!

Did you have a chance to test the export and see if it's working as expected? If it's not, just let me know and I'll be here to help however I can.

• MKirchman

But I still have to have 2 distinct policies and sort my expenses prior to making a report, correct?

• krisaloma
    krisaloma Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

So does the default account (debit or credit) set in Connections - Configure for QB only apply when the card being transported does not have a match set in its export settings or if it's an opposite type of account (debit vs credit, credit vs debit)?

I am having the same problems as Mkirchman but have multiple credit cards (Amex, Chase, etc). I never want any of my expenses to sync to any account but the right account. So, what's the point of setting the default card in the Connection - Configure setting?

Also, did I understand the directions correctly for making my debit card export properly? Do I need to create an entirely new policy for debit card transactions? And only place debit card transactions in debit-card only reports? It sounds like all of my credit cards can be in the same report under the same policy because expensive won't break down when it checks their export settings?