QBO Project Integration

Rebar
Rebar Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

We are using Expensify with QBO, and are importing our projects into Expensify to use the tagging feature. We additionally use the checkbox to mark an item as billable or not. We have tried tagging at the item level and at the report level.

When exporting an expense report into QBO, we can see the journal entry, and each expense is properly aligned to our various expense accounts.

We are unable to see any of the expenses in our projects within QBO however. We were hoping/expecting this to show up under each project after tagging items so we can track the expenses at the project level and create invoices from them as needed.

Are we expecting more from this feature than was intended, or are we broken in our configuration? I fear we have been troubleshooting something that just isn't meant to work the way we expect/hope it to.

Answers

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @Rebar, welcome to the Community and thanks for posting! I see you're exporting as a journal entry, and that is where the problem comes into play. In QuickBooks Online, journal entries do not support the project field and as such when you export a journal entry we are not able to send the project to QuickBooks Online.

If you were to switch the export type to a vendor bill or check, we would export the project accurately and you should then see the expenses under the project as well.

Do you want to give this a try and let me know if you run into any trouble?

• Rebar
    Rebar Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Your response is much appreciated! I had read the descriptions of both "vendor bill" and "check" previously, but it wasn't obvious to me that either would have been a solution. I'll give both a go and report back. That said, do you have a recommendation for one over the other, or can you tell me more about the differences between the two?

Thanks again!

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

Hi @Rebar - thanks for circling back to me! We almost always recommend exporting as a vendor bill, but using check or vendor bill will depend on the type of account you want to export to.

For example, a vendor bill exports to an A/P account while a check exports to a bank account. You'd want to make your decision depending on your preference for A/P or bank account.

I hope this helps!