Default Report

FredrikFredrik Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi, I tend to have 2 - 4 Reports open at any given time and I send expenses to either of those 4 reports on a daily basis. I like to know if I can set one of them as my default as I tend to send most expenses to one of the 4 reports at certain times and it seems as if the Expensify app want to classify my expense into the latest created Report rather than the previously used Report. Is there a way to nominate the app to qualify the expense to the previously used Report?
Fredrik

Best Answer

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,849Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hello @Fredrik - welcome! At this time there isn't a way to designate a default report for expenses to flow into. Instead, you'll see the behavior you described where the expenses flow into your most recently report.

• FredrikFredrik Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@Sheena Trepanier = I dont understand what you mean with " I will see the behavior result in the expense flow into the most recent report ". I am running 3 - 5 open reports at the same time and have various expenses to associate with either of those reports during a work-week, BUT the expenses tend to come in "bursts" where for 1 - 3 days all expenses go into one of the open reports and I like to be able to choose which of the open reports shall be the default at any given time so that I can toggle between them as to which one shall be the default at any given time. This make sense to me. . . .

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 915Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Fredrik , being able to assign a default report is a great idea for those running multiple open reports simultaneously!

If you can raise this in the Ideas section, then other users can vote on it and it will help us gauge the need for this functionality.

• Fred_the_shred_2018Fred_the_shred_2018 Posts: 2Expensify Customer

I want turn off the default report in the app how do I do that?

I want all of my new expenses just to sit unreported so that I can decide which report is best for each one...

• BrigidBrigid Posts: 19Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Hey @Fred_the_shred_2018, I just wanted to follow up on your second question here. If you don't want your expenses automatically added to a report at all, then what you'll want to do is turn off Scheduled Submit. Scheduled Submit is what adds your expenses to your most recently edited Open report automatically, so turning off this feature will mean that new expenses remain unreported until you manually add them to a report :)

• gwwwgwww Posts: 3Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

One of the most annoying things in Expensify is that expenses go into the last opened report automatically. I almost always must go through expenses and put them into the correct report. Part of the challenge of doing that is its hard to know that they have all been fixed.

If nothing else it would be nice if there was a preference to not put any expense into a report automatically. At least that way I could search for all expenses without a report and then fix them.

I have read @Brigid comment just above. I have Scheduled Submit turned off (its never been turned on to my knowledge) and expenses still are going into a report. So either Scheduled Submit is broken, it doesn't work as described above, or I have some other setting wrong.

I'd certainly appreciate the help setting up Expensify so that my expenses remain unreported.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,849Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@gwww - hmm, thanks so much for sharing. I'm happy to help here and have a question for you.

Are you mainly creating expenses via the mobile app? If so, can you take a look at the Report field on the next expense you create on the mobile app? The report field is found by clicking on Add Details > More Options after snapping a photo of a receipt.

If (automatic) is in the report field, go ahead and switch it to (none) and save the expense. This should clear the "sticky" automatic reporting occurring. However, if you ever join a policy with Scheduled Submit enabled, or enable if yourself, the automatic reporting will return to the mobile app.

If (none) is already in the report field, let me know!

edited March 5

Thank you @Sheena Trepanier . Yes, most of my expenses are created on the mobile app (latest version on Android).

I just took a photo of a receipt. I clicked Add Details > More Options. (automatic) was set. I switched it to (none) and saved.

I waited until the smart scan had completed and then took a photo of another receipt. I clicked Add Details > More Options. (automatic) was still set. :anguished: After the smart scan completed the receipt was set to the last report that was created.

I look forward to hearing more ideas!

• Karisa CaudillKarisa Caudill Posts: 106Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach
    edited March 5

Hey @gwww !

It looks like you have personal Scheduled Submit enabled and that's what is keeping the (automatic) report setting alive. Can you please jump on our website from a computer, navigate to Settings > Policies > Individual > [Policy Name] > Reports and disable Scheduled Submit?

Then, do the same trick where you scan a new receipt and change the report to (none) while it is still SmartScanning. From this moment on the field should retain and reuse the (none) option!

Please let me know how it goes and if you continue to encounter undesirable behavior.

edited March 5

Thank you! That seems to have worked. I'll know better in a day or two. I appreciate your help! I was not even aware of Individual policy.

• Karisa CaudillKarisa Caudill Posts: 106Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

You're very welcome! Keep me posted for sure!

• bbosbbos Posts: 10Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Further to this, my 2nd last report has now become the default one. I had specially created a report for all expenses to be assigned to and now it is not being used. I must repeat that the reports feature seems to be so central to Expensify yet it lacks so much functionality. It would also be nice to bulk edit expenses to assign to a report.

Hi @bbos, thanks for circling back! If you'd like report assignment to be available via Edit Multiple (bulk edit) I'd encourage you to add it to the Ideas category here in the Community. This is the best place to share feature requests because it gives us a chance to see the customer support for adding a feature.

Add your idea here!

Awesome, thanks for doing that @bbos. I've shared the link to the idea with my team members and we'll direct other customers to it if we hear similar requests. Cheers!